FA cup replays - gone | Vital Football

FA cup replays - gone

Agreed, really bad for lower league clubs with less chance of a big replay payday. And a lot more penalty shoot-outs, which makes the whole thing a lottery.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with how the Premier League clubs are dictating everything. We don't even get a decent annual payment from them.

Basically the last pretence of there being a functional FA for english football.

FA are now fully run for the prem and other sporting bodies. Complete sell out. The reasons are not logical, could have simply scrapped the league cup and kept everything about the fa cup intact.
Even have FA cup games over many days so f any fans that want to travel. Replays are (were) part of the magic of the cup ffs.

More cheapening of what was once THE greatest football competition in the world.
Premiership clubs don't respect it anymore.
Bigger earners in Europe for them now.

Seems a lifetime ago the final was a 3pm ko on the last Saturday of the football season. The country came to a standstill as we all went to someones house to watch it in a group right through from 10am.
Surprised they are still allowing the final to be played at Wembley.

Apparently done after "discussions between the FA and Premier League". Can think of a few interested parties who obviously weren't invited.

I’m in a minority of not being that fussed by this in itself.

And I say this as someone who loves the involvement of the smaller teams in the cup and has normally lost all interest by the time it’s only PL teams left.

The argument most often put forward by traditionalists is that it will prevent the smaller clubs from getting their money spinning replays against bigger sides. But how often does this actually happen?

Maybe it’s my poor memory but I can’t recall any money spinning replays in my time supporting since 1992. Obviously there were the Everton games a few years prior but who’s to say we wouldn’t be talking about one of the greatest ever giant killings if the game had been settled at the first attempt? Hopefully we may see a few more giant killings going forward.

I can’t see that removing the lottery of lucrative replays will have too much bearing on the finances of our smaller clubs - they need to be both run and supported )by relevant authorities) where sustainability isn’t reliant on a one in 15/20 year event taking place.

I see that as part of the agreement PL clubs have pledged £33M funding to grassroots football. Perhaps a fitting trade off would be for a greater distribution of prize money across the earlier rounds - do the actual FA Cup winners really need the £2M prize money in addition to their trophy and associated glory?

Additionally, there are too many fixtures at all levels and with more and more games likely to be called off due to weather going forward this seems practical (if not romantic).

My only concern is that this is symptomatic of the big boys getting their way once again, but that’s obviously the way things are going.

Maybe it’s my poor memory but I can’t recall any money spinning replays in my time supporting since 1992.
Maybe not for ourselves, but there's a whole host of other lower league clubs who have been sustained by cup replays, often just one tie against (normally Man United) a massive club can net a club a million quid just like that.

Exeter as mentioned are certainly one, Cambridge United I'm pretty sure had one, Burton Albion as well. They can literally be the difference between survival and oblivion down here amongst the dead men.

For me if the Premier League clubs are so worried about the fixture congestion then they should just all be pulled out of the League Cup and give that tournament solely to the EFL rather than half-arsing around with both competitions.

Exeter as mentioned are certainly one, Cambridge United I'm pretty sure had one, Burton Albion as well. They can literally be the difference between survival and oblivion down here amongst the dead men.

Bloody lucky those three clubs that wouldn’t be around were it not for their money spinning replays managed to get the money spinning replays they needed.

For me if the Premier League clubs are so worried about the fixture congestion then they should just all be pulled out of the League Cup and give that tournament solely to the EFL rather than half-arsing around with both competitions.

This I’d be in favour of, and scrap the EFL pizza cup whatever it’s called.

In many ways I’d happily see 12/16/20 clubs breakaway and leave the rest of us to it. However with that walks away a lot of appeal/interest/money.

Maybe not for ourselves, but there's a whole host of other lower league clubs who have been sustained by cup replays, often just one tie against (normally Man United) a massive club can net a club a million quid just like that.

For us Leeds United away when they were a decent PL side?

Pretty sure there are a myriad of clubs from league one down to all of the NL clubs who reach the first round who will be against this ruling. Maidstone, who shone throughout the competition earned enough prize money to give them a great start to next season or guarantee their existance for a good while.

This is a case of Robin Hood in reverse..... steal from the poor and give to the wealthy.

Atrocious decision and once more indicitive of the contempt shown by the richer clubs toward those whoee annual budgets are probably less than most of the transfer fees will be this summer.

The argument most often put forward by traditionalists is that it will prevent the smaller clubs from getting their money spinning replays against bigger sides. But how often does this actually happen?

We got a tasty replay against Champions League semi finalists Leeds in the early 2000s, which was a great excuse during sixth form to get on the ciders midweek in Yorkshire if nothing else.

We got a tasty replay against Champions League semi finalists Leeds in the early 2000s, which was a great excuse during sixth form to get on the ciders midweek in Yorkshire if nothing else.

Also robbed us of the chance to batter their ten men in extra time and a good chance of winning the whole thing.