FA Cup Match Thread: Nottingham Forest Vs Blackpool, sponsored by Colwick water monitoring station | Vital Football

FA Cup Match Thread: Nottingham Forest Vs Blackpool, sponsored by Colwick water monitoring station

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
FA Cup third round draw has not always been kind to us.

For most of my time as a Forest fan, I have always gone on the same principle in terms of what I want; I don't want a team in our division, or a recently promoted/relegated team that we played last season. Or Burnley, whatever division they are in.

Generally I've hoped for Premier League sides. Ok my younger days, away (Chelsea, Man City being notable trips) and I'm latter days, at home (Arsenal, Leicester, Liverpool).

We've had some good scalps.

I remember beating PL Charlton as a League One club (on our way to playing Chelsea). I remember the 5-0 against West Ham. 4-2 against Arsenal. 0-3 away at Man City. We thoroughly deserved to beat PL Birmingham at home, but I think missed a penalty. And of course we beat Arsenal and Leicester in our promotion year. We've had scalps.

But as a PL club, it's not so good. Our last three exits as a Premier League Club have been to Chesterfield (I can't remember what division they were in then- 3rd or 4th), at home to Portsmouth (Division 1 club then, championship as it would be now) and away at Blackpool (bottom of the championship).

We have a good record in scalping; but once we get to the Premier League and become the scalp, we haven't done as well at all.

As a Premier League draw, Blackpool will be disappointed with Forest. Yeah, a PL club; but not a good one and it's one they've played loads in recent years. There is no novelty to playing us, and being away makes the scalp a bit more difficult.

For us, we just have to avoid a draw. I don't want to lose, but we REALLY don't want the replay.

Blackpool Style

Screenshot_20240106_133805_Samsung Internet.jpg
They look quite intimidating but this, remember, is against League One opposition. They are 8th in League One- handily placed but about 4-5 points off the pace, looking for a bit of a run that would get them into and establish them in the playoff places.

They are a bit of a possession team, good at attacking with 13 shots per game. They win 27 aerial duels per game, compared to our 17; but remember, winning 17 per game is very high for the Premier League and 27 per game is similarly good for league one. It's not a percentage stat, so probably just reflects the amount the ball is in the air in each league.

Blackpool formation

Screenshot_20240106_133838_Samsung Internet.jpg
They will play a 3-5-2. This is pretty consistent and I can't see them going more defensive at the CG. What have they got to lose? The flatness of the formation though potentially gives some good opportunities for finding space behind their midfield.

Depends of course who we have available- certainly Elanga is injured and potentially MGW as well, so probably Danilo's opportunity. Can't remember if Aguilera went on loan or not, but would be ideal for him, maybe try Williams as a winger.

Blackpool players

Screenshot_20240106_133823_Samsung Internet.jpg
Stop Jordan Rhodes. That's all you need to know about Blackpool. It's been years since Rhodes was fit and on form enough to terrorise us, but Blackpool are the kind of club that always has a bogey player who always bloody scores against us. We'll all be embarrassed if Rhodes gets a couple against us tomorrow; but even at 33, he still can, with 15 already for the season.

Jake Beesley may be next to him. He has four so far, after a poor first season in the championship having signed from doomed Rochdale. Alternatively, we might face Sonny Carey (22, 3 goals) or Kyle Joseph (22, 1 goal).

In midfield, notables include Karamoko Dembele, an attacking midfielder with a couple of goals, and Shayne Lavery with four goals.

The Referee

Is Sunny Gill, a championship referee who I do not believe has ever reffed us before. It doesn't look like he has reffed Premier League clubs at all beyond U21 level, so not sure what his experience with VAR is.

Form

Blackpool have beaten Bromley and Forest Green to get this far, so both teams "under" them so far.

Their overall form is mixed, as you expect with a playoff chasing team. They win games, they lose games. They are inconsistent. Not on fire in any sense, so how hard the game is depends which Blackpool show up on the day.

Screenshot_20240106_140343_Samsung Internet.jpg
Head to head

Obviously, we have played Blackpool loads.
Screenshot_20240106_140615_Samsung Internet.jpg
I remember going there in League One with their pitch basically being a beach and unplayable. Of course we deservedly lost to them in the playoffs so got to be part of that story.

We've only lost twice since then though, including last season. We beat them home and away in our promotion season and we have a 4-4 draw back in 2015 at their place that I have no memory of
We came back from 2-0 down though and both teams scored in injury time. Anyone remember that? My mind is blank.

Weather

The river levels are going down so it will be on. No more rain forecast so it will just be dull, cold January

Screenshot_20240106_141153_Met Office.jpg

Last edited:
Calm but nervous about this one. I’d play Turnz & fire back passes at him for 90 minutes get him playing out from the back against lesser opponents (all due respect to blackpoo) as he’s the best keeper we have but is a liability with the ball at his feet.

What’s Nuno like in the cups?

The gap between premiership and the rest just gets bigger. Cup offers chance of one off giant killings. Premiership teams have to get the prep and head right or could all go wrong.

QPR 2 up at home, Bournemouth turn it on in second half.
Stoke 2 up at home, Brighton turn it on in second half.

What would be your line up for today then?

I'd look at something like this.
Screenshot_20240107_105407_Samsung Internet.jpg

Involve Toffolo from the bench for Aguilera but keep Montiel getting game time. Let Dominguez have a rest until later. Give Aguilera some game time

Origi up front if he is fit, but that is unlikely apparently

Got a bit worried scrolling down, when I saw Wood was in goal . Probably couldn't be much worse than the other two ! think I would start with most of the strongest team, whilst giving a game to some of the others.

Vlachodimos
Montiel Amobomadile Murillo Toffolo
Yates MGW Mangala
Huson-Odoi Wood Elanga

Hopefully give Aguilera some time too

Got a bit worried scrolling down, when I saw Wood was in goal . Probably couldn't be much worse than the other two ! think I would start with most of the strongest team, whilst giving a game to some of the others.

Vlachodimos
Montiel Amobomadile Murillo Toffolo
Yates MGW Mangala
Huson-Odoi Wood Elanga

Hopefully give Aguilera some time too
Elanga is definitely injured. MGW is a doubt but should be rested anyway

Can Origi play in goal? I think his dad was a keeper turned striker and also his cousin is a keeper.

Perhaps we can get some use out of his loan deal.

I can't see how he could be worse than Turner and Vlachodimos and the cup game would be a good game to try this out.