Exeter have let the beautiful game down | Vital Football

Exeter have let the beautiful game down

oldgaurd

Vital 1st Team Regular
I am really disappointed with Exeter following last nights match .The vast majority of the crowd[me included] had attended the game eagerly expecting to witness the Wizards of the South West .All were hoping to admire their Corinthian spirit combined with an exhibition of sublime Tica Tica football . We have come to expect no more than this from the gloriously gifted Grecians .Clearly the limited hosts in this mismatch would be turned inside and given a proper footballing lesson .The buzz of anticipation in the stands made for an electric atmosphere .Thoughts turned to the legends that have graced the Game such as Beckenbauer , Pele , Moore ,Jairzhino, Messi ,Ronaldo and of course Stockley . What a disappointment it was then to witness an Exeter team engaging in time wasting, elbows ,late tackling, diving , feigning injury and getting away with a blatant penalty. However the football Gods favoured the plucky hosts and a goal was scored in the time that was added on for the extraordinary amount of time that the Exeter keeper took to take goal kicks. Some might say this was just deserts for a team that had engaged in such blatant cheating. For me though I am mourning the death of the beautiful game

I am really disappointed with Exeter following last nights match .The vast majority of the crowd[me included] had attended the game eagerly expecting to witness the Wizards of the South West .All were hoping to admire their Corinthian spirit combined with an exhibition of sublime Tica Tica football . We have come to expect no more than this from the gloriously gifted Grecians .Clearly the limited hosts in this mismatch would be turned inside and given a proper footballing lesson .The buzz of anticipation in the stands made for an electric atmosphere .Thoughts turned to the legends that have graced the Game such as Beckenbauer , Pele , Moore ,Jairzhino, Messi ,Ronaldo and of course Stockley . What a disappointment it was then to witness an Exeter team engaging in time wasting, elbows ,late tackling, diving , feigning injury and getting away with a blatant penalty. However the football Gods favoured the plucky hosts and a goal was scored in the time that was added on for the extraordinary amount of time that the Exeter keeper took to take goal kicks. Some might say this was just deserts for a team that had engaged in such blatant cheating. For me though I am mourning the death of the beautiful game
I think it is a pity that we cant accept that they were better than us for he majority of the game . It is usual for disappointed supporters to bear some hard feelings , and as in this case biased views . Yes I agree that the goal keeper wasted time as early as the 1st half and as a result they forfeited 2 points , as we have done on our last 2 matches..
It would be nice and in the interests of football to give credit where is due, as we would like , from other clubs supporters

I think it is a pity that we cant accept that they were better than us for he majority of the game . It is usual for disappointed supporters to bear some hard feelings , and as in this case biased views . Yes I agree that the goal keeper wasted time as early as the 1st half and as a result they forfeited 2 points , as we have done on our last 2 matches..
It would be nice and in the interests of football to give credit where is due, as we would like , from other clubs supporters
Biased views Mr Chad?

Exeter missed a massive opportunity last night. At one point in the second half they looked capable of running riot. They committed the cardinal error of complacently sitting back, as we have done so often, and played right into our hands.

As always we kept going, and it brought a reward in the end to even out some of the bad luck we’ve suffered in other games.

Overall though that was a poor League 2 game and neither side looked promotion material. We do know though that the Imps can play much, much better.

So good they scored, from a very good, free kick but then like us floundered a bit!. Possibly a little bit of pressure building up in the team?

On the night, they were so much better than us for the first 70 minutes at least, then made the error of sitting back on their lead. We were very lucky to get our goal. Felt like a win to me, they’ll feel sick on the long drive home...

I'll accept that they were better in 2/3rds of the park - defence and midfield for about 75% of the game - but they were not all that good in front of goal - did they trouble our 'Keeper' particularly in the second half - and after Rheady came on we could have won it but for some pretty inept refereeing...so some balance required in our assessment of their performance and the game overall.

They kept the ball better and seem to pick up the 2nd balls, however in the end we probably had the better chances overall.

Not disputing Exeter had the better of the first 60 but we were hardly hanging on for dear life, or was I watching a different game.

They kept the ball better and seem to pick up the 2nd balls, however in the end we probably had the better chances overall.

Not disputing Exeter had the better of the first 60 but we were hardly hanging on for dear life, or was I watching a different game.
I can accept that and agree we werre best for ten minutes and then for some reason they got to the ballbetter, until Matt Rhead came on . My point is that I feel that I would like to see a more balanced view from some of the posts, when we are not as good as we would all like LCFC to be

Mr Chad is a Stag.
As your OP said, Exeter were disappointing. They were slightly better than a clearly underperforming group of pub players.:p
Mr Chad is a Stag.
As your OP said, Exeter were disappointing. They were slightly better than a clearly underperforming group of pub players.:p
As an 85 year old imp I object to you calling my team a group of underperforming pub players .
Seriously tho is it too much to accept that as some others have said at least for 60 minutes or so they were better than us , or you happy to draw your way to he playoffs?

I felt Exeter kept the ball well.. but were helped by our sloppy play (a lot of that due to the Exeter press) but didn’t think they created all that many clear cut opportunities.

I interpret oldgaurd as being ironic and throwing the opposition fans' view of our players and style back in their faces from a pot calling kettle black position. I don't think he/she was commenting on our performance but obviously he/she can speak for themself on that.

It's just a desert, like the Sahara or such. It ain't so much a pudding, though.

A reasonable attempt at humour, mind.

I think our Management are at fault in some ways.
1) Matt Rhead must have more time on the field.
2) No need to continually change a winning team , with 3 subs, it disrupts the run of play for the team.
3) and when useing subs, use our loan players more, and our regular players not playing well, will think more about their place in the team.
To a certain degree we are missing Anderson a bit.

I think we will be OK for promotion, and still say we can go up as Champions

come on boys

Tbf, I think Oldgaurd was taking the mickey!

Wondering if the OP is sarcasm. They may have been abit toothless up front but they played us off the park for a large part of the game with no real result from it.

We then overpowered them in the latter stages by a bit of good old brute force and direct football intentions. Not long ball because it wasn't kick and rush aimless stuff....

.....although Rhead does end up having to move 20 yards to get under the punts but I am going to ignore that and say these are superb long passes delivered straight to Rhead's bonce :)

I interpret oldgaurd as being ironic and throwing the opposition fans' view of our players and style back in their faces from a pot calling kettle black position. I don't think he/she was commenting on our performance but obviously he/she can speak for themself on that.

I took it that way too and had a good chuckle at the sarcasm used. Brightened up my morning.