Exeter City - Past Encounters | Vital Football

Exeter City - Past Encounters

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
When typing the title, the first match that came to mind was the play-off second leg at St. James' Park, when some of their "supporters" were throwing coins (and possibly other things) into the away end after the full-time whistle...

Not many memories of games against them but do remember them coming to Sincil Bank , probably if not, last game of the season and hammering us 5-0 I think it was and they did a lap of honour round our pitch!!
They were either league champions or got promoted.
Havnt got a clue what year it was.

Not many memories of games against them but do remember them coming to Sincil Bank , probably if not, last game of the season and hammering us 5-0 I think it was and they did a lap of honour round our pitch!!
74-75 we stuffed them 5-0 at Sincil Bank, great performance by Peter Graham

1989/90. 5-1 to Exeter with Hobbo scoring the Lincoln goal. It was to be Hobson's last game for us as in the summer he moved to - Exeter.

74-75 we stuffed them 5-0 at Sincil Bank, great performance by Peter Graham
We had a strong home record against them from the late Sixties into the mid-Seventies - possibly due to Exeter's "bus lag" after the long journey from the south west. My parents' old home backed on to Clayton's sports ground and I remember Exeter using the facilities there for a warm up one Saturday morning before we inflicted a 4-1 thumping in the afternoon. It would have been either 1970 or 1971 as we won by the same margin in both those seasons.

My first game against Exeter was a 1-1 draw at Sincil Bank in October 1966. They had both Ray Harford and Dixie McNeil in their side.

Went three times in the 90s
1994/5 1-0 loss
1996/7 3 all draw Steve Holmes last minute leveller
1997/8 2-1win Lee Thorpe and Steve Brown with the goals

One of the most recent dramatic endings was in Feb 2019 at home in Div 2 , Exeter were 1 up well into injury time when John Akinde popped up to equalise with virtually the last kick. Both sides were challenging near the top so a crucial goal. A mate of mine had already left !

Surprised no one has mentioned the game at Exeter early in the L2 title season, revenge in the air after the PO loss, both teams on a good start - Exeter top and unbeaten? Freck and Big John took them apart in the 3-0 win.

The game I always remember is their late 1-0 win at our place, was it a FK that snuck in but no-one could quite work out whether it had for a few seconds?

Think that might have been the season they got promoted.

2017/18 Home game in March won 3-2 in a vital play off chasing clash. Went 1 down to Jayden Stockley goal come back to 2-1 up and they equalised for 2-2. Latish on Super sub Ollie Palmer scored, shirt off full lap of the pitch amid wild celebration. Nobody joined in, it was disallowed.
Still 2-2 but Ollie had the last word with a later winner which this time was on side. Watched the game from one of the boxes for a friends birthday bash, not all football fans, just there for the booze. Didn’t like it, no atmosphere and missed the banter of the usual fans around me. Turned down a few invitations since, I’d sooner be out in the cold with the people mostly who I ever see at the games and only know through the footie.

Along with Portsmouth it is another of my bogey grounds. Been 10 times to St James Park and only seen 1 win. I was abroad on holiday when we last strolled it 3-0.

Years and years ago, ( God I'm old!), I was visiting a cousin who was in the Andrew at Plymouth, we went to see us at Exeter and I seem to remember a large privet hedge at the back of the away end!?.