Exeter academy | Vital Football

Exeter academy

Very impressive academy revenues:

"In fact, the Grecians have sold players for fees totalling more than £3.5m during the past two transfer windows alone - while the rest of League Two's 23 clubs earned somewhere between £4m and £4.5m between them."

That is impressive, although one wonders if some of those fees are deferred by clauses, etc.

exeter have got this spot on.

totally agree with boosting the academy. cheap[er] players in at the 18-19-20-21 age - and players that already know the club and the methods. get some first team games out of them, sell on for ££££.

one way to progress ££-wise if we are not going to increase capacity.

I wonder what their formula is?

Almost all clubs would like to do this, but very few manage it. Look at the sales figures for the rest of L2!

I also wonder if the Cowleys have/will turn their excellent footballing/planning brains to the Academy at some point?

Almost all clubs would like to do this, but very few manage it. Look at the sales figures for the rest of L2!

I also wonder if the Cowleys have/will turn their excellent footballing/planning brains to the Academy at some point?
^ the sooner the better imo.
good teaching background, people skills and coaching skills - cowleys would make great candidates to run the academy as well. shame they are a bit busy with other stuff. i wonder if dcnc know a similar pairing that fancy running the academy, with a view to succeeding them as management...

This is how lower league teams should be run. They are investing money generated by the academy back into it. They are looking at local prospects and giving them time to develop through age ranges. They have at least 4 of their current first team who have come through that academy which says just as much as getting the big bucks for the likes of Ampadu.

Hats off to them. I hope they continue to do well in league 2 next year despite missing out in the play offs this year!

I would guess as former teachers this is their next thing after the training ground is built for them to stick around. They’ll want a good academy to give them youngsters ready for the first team. Look at how many games Chapmab has been in the squad for.

Ampadu - excellent player, apparently Chelsea's fee was £2.5m. Not very much in the scheme.