Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 219 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

Waterfall signed for an extra year at Grimsby (deal done under Holloway apparently).

Do they like him there? I think I'd heard mixed reviews. It's a weird one, seemed to be perfect CB at perfect time for us but hadn't massive happened for him beforehand or it seems afterwards. When he left it seemed slightly surprising but that he had earned it; now having been in L1 and seen the styles I can't imagine him in L1!

Do they like him there? I think I'd heard mixed reviews. It's a weird one, seemed to be perfect CB at perfect time for us but hadn't massive happened for him beforehand or it seems afterwards. When he left it seemed slightly surprising but that he had earned it; now having been in L1 and seen the styles I can't imagine him in L1!
Yeah, mixed reviews. I think under Holloway he was being asked to play out from the back, which, as we saw here, isn't a strength of his but that was the same for a fair few of the players and they seem to realise that he's been let down by those around him, too.

DC definitely got the best out of him, played to his strengths and masked his weaknesses (like he did a lot of players).

Most of Danny Cowley's players have struggled to progress since leaving Lincoln, which indicates just how good he was at squeezing the max out of them. I believe Sean Raggett and Alex Woodyard are the only ones of the 2016-17 championship squad playing at a higher level than when they left Lincoln. Even some of the better ones - the likes of Nathan Arnold, Adam Marriott, Terry Hawkridge and Jack Muldoon - quickly ended up back in non-league football.

Yeah, mixed reviews. I think under Holloway he was being asked to play out from the back, which, as we saw here, isn't a strength of his but that was the same for a fair few of the players and they seem to realise that he's been let down by those around him, too.

DC definitely got the best out of him, played to his strengths and masked his weaknesses (like he did a lot of players).

Nobody really rated Waterfall here before Danny and Nicky joined...

His nod across at Burnley for Raggett to head the winner probably his best moment, and his goal against the Chelsea kids to help get us to Wembley right up there. Great contributions to the Imps.

No-one was ever rated after a spell partnering Nat Brown at CB!
Just to expand on this, Waterfall was better when he had a better CB next to him i.e. other partners dragged him up, whereas worse ones dragged him down.

I can't remember every CB partner he had but no surprise his best performances were alongside Raggett rather than Brown or Howe (briefly).

Just to expand on this, Waterfall was better when he had a better CB next to him i.e. other partners dragged him up, whereas worse ones dragged him down.

I can't remember every CB partner he had but no surprise his best performances were alongside Raggett rather than Brown or Howe (briefly).

Also just the organisation of the team maybe? I've blocked out some of the Moyses era from my memory but under the Cowleys woodyard and another cm scuttling back in forth in front of the back four and funneling teams wide meant the meat and drink of crosses into the box for waterfall and raggett. Then on the ball, no responsibility other than sideways pass to raggett or hitting rhead on a diagonal!

JMD is being linked to Cambridge, and I've seen this from an Orient fan, which sums it up!

"As another O’s fan put on Twitter: “He’s all sizzle and no sausage”.

Plenty of talent. Two-footed, wonderful crosser of the ball, takes a nice set piece, has both the vision for assists and the knack of scoring goals.

All of which sounds great until you realise he’s fucking garbage at any of the other useful skills a professional footballer needs, such as application, attitude, tackling, tracking back, heading the ball, fitness, looking after himself away from the pitch, not giving the ball away in midfield or that most basic of skills: running. Kitman will be happy as JMD always comes off the pitch with a nice, clean kit.

In other words, there’s a real player in there. Just a shame that it’s a real luxury player
."