Everton youngsters | Vital Football

Everton youngsters

jeffs right

Vital Football Hero
With the Everton connection now on our board lets just hope we dont become a practice ground for more of their kids.

I'm happy to have any good Everton kids - but Connelly is garbage and Robinson after an outstanding start has also been really poor.

I don't care if we use the Royle connection and take 5 loans every season from Everton as long as they are good enough. But if we've taken 2 of the supposed top prospects this season and we also had another supposed one in Kenny a couple of years back who was also crap - it doesn't suggest their academy is producing that many good ones and we may be better looking elsewhere.

Wonder if Chelsea have a few more like James we could borrow.

I wouldn't mind Dowell as an attacking midfielder. Did very well at a forest last year, played nigh on every game and was notching every four games. England U21 player to boot.

In regards James, the lad is our best player most weeks. I appreciate Chelsea youngsters rarely break into their first team but I'd be extremely surprised if this lad isn't the exception to the rule.

I'm happy to have any good Everton kids - but Connelly is garbage and Robinson after an outstanding start has also been really poor.

I don't care if we use the Royle connection and take 5 loans every season from Everton as long as they are good enough. But if we've taken 2 of the supposed top prospects this season and we also had another supposed one in Kenny a couple of years back who was also crap - it doesn't suggest their academy is producing that many good ones and we may be better looking elsewhere.

Wonder if Chelsea have a few more like James we could borrow.
Kenny has made 6 appearances for Everton this season so can't be that bad. Connelly was decent for us last time, just seems to be off the pace this time for some reason. Reasonable signing for me at the time that has not worked out well so far

Im amazed Kenny got anywhere near the Everton first team from what saw from his time with us - fair play to him he must have improved a lot over the last 3 or so years.

I felt Connelly last time was a lot like Robinson this time - explosively good start but as time went on was badly exposed. Apparently he was good in centre mid for Ipswich last year so it wasn't a bonkers signing on paper but seeing him in midfield here confuses me how he ever had a decent game there for them. He looks completely lost.

We certainly haven't got their good loanees yet.

To be fair Kenny was fair better than that Donald lad we had from Man Utd. Unbelievably Sunderland took him into the premiership for a mill. Bonkers, I wouldn't have took him on a free.

In regards Connolly I'd be looking to get him in at left back and seeing how he does there whilst Robinson is out.

Jonjoe Kenny was really, really young when he came. He hadn't physically matured like Reece James has.

As for the Everton thing, maybe now with that ban hanging over them, we might see the players they've (allegedly) pinched from under our noses, more than once (allegedly) might come here instead of (allegedly) running off to go to them.

Donald Love is still at Sunderland, has played twice this season in the league and has a grand total of 41 appearances and two goals over four seasons. Still only 23. Oh well, Conference beckons young man!

Robinson has an outstanding first game. Then was responsible for two goals (the winner at Villa where he lost the goalscorer and the second Forest goal where he let Cash ghost past him into the box, giving him the chance to dive for the penalty. Obviously the opposition then twigged that he was awful defensively and have targeted him since, Brentford, Swansea and PNE to name three. Connolly is far worse though because he hides. I can’t stand hiders on a football pitch.

Bringing Connolly on adds nothing to the game , i was scratching my head Saturday .
What has Macca to do to get a game ? last 20 mins the game was stretched and would of been perfect for him to have a run ..

Bringing Connolly on adds nothing to the game/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. I'm baffled as to what Connolly actually does / is. All I can get is that he's a midfielder, but whether he's an attacking midfielder, wide midfielder, defensive midfielder, playmaker, ball winner etc. etc. Remains a total mystery.

He's come on in all of those roles this season and has done less than nothing whatever he's been asked to do. His main 'skills' appear to be giving the ball away and playing other players into trouble.

It annoys the hell out of me that we do this: take mediocre (at best) youngsters from other clubs and give them game time, when we have our own youngsters who can't possibly be any worse, and would probably be far better. At least Latics youngsters would be 100% committed if given an opportunity.

Connolly being in the matchday squad every week is an insult to our own youngsters and to the club as a whole. It's all well and good saying he's versatile and can play a number of positions, but I could come on and be crap in any position too.

Not a fan of loanees in general (I'd much rather give experience to our own young players). I'll make exceptions for players like Reece James, since he's an excellent player and even at just 18 was adding some genuine quality to the squad, but he's an exceptional talent, and for every Reece James we've had, we've had a dozen Connolly level wasters.

Last edited: