Off Target
Everton 4 City 4

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from City Official Site match day thread

Link

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/everton-v-man-city-fa-cup

90+3 mins
Everton 0-2 Man City

Manchester City's patience has paid off today. They were chipping away and chipping away, believing the goals would come. And they did.

You have to feel for Everton, they were in touching distance of taking this to an extra 30 minutes, where anything could have happened.

19:26
FT: Everton 0-2 Man City

Michael Brown
Former Manchester City midfielder on BBC Radio Manchester

It was a stubborn performance full credit to Everton for making it difficult, City could've been a bit more sharp, a bit more clinical, but they stuck to the game plan. It's breath taking to be able to call to the kind of players that City can when Everton started to look tired.

19:35
'You have to find a way to win'

Manchester City goalscorer Ilkay Gundogan, speaking to BT Sport: "We tried to stay in the game and thankfully it turned out well for us.

"I think we struggled a little bit to find spaces in the first half. We weren't all together in the right positions. Everton did really well, they defended well and they are a great team, so it's not easy. We knew that we could struggle before the game but we overcame it and we did really well.

"I just tried to be there waiting for the rebound. I think the timing was perfect - it was a great win. I'm enjoying it at the moment, everyone put in the hard work. This is not a given, it's not granted, so we need to make the right decisions.

"We don't always make the best kind of football but it's about staying in the game and finding the right moments, being patient. There will be a few more games like this I think but we have to be ready for them. If you want to win trophies and fight for everything, you have to find a way to win."

19:37

More from Gundogan, on City potentially winning the quadruple: "You are allowed everything but the next target now is to come back healthier and in the best shape from the international break - and then having a big game at Leicester."

19:39

For you stattos... Everton finished with a total possession of 25.9% - on only two other occasions has it been lower, against Liverpool in December 2017 (20.6%) and Manchester City in March 2018 (18%).

19:44
'One of the toughest games we've played'

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola told BT Sport: "It was a really tough game. We saw the commitment from Everton, how focused they were, they defended really aggressively.

"We conceded nothing, we were patient. It was one of the toughest games we’ve played in the last four months. It was the toughest game since the last international break we had.

"We have been incredible in terms of results and performances [over that period].

"Tonight was so difficult, they have experienced players behind the ball with two up for [the] counter-attack.

"It was incredible commitment from my players. An incredible victory.

"Hopefully the bubbles [during the international break] are controlled. I’m looking forward to everyone coming back safe."

19:35
'You have to find a way to win'

Manchester City goalscorer Ilkay Gundogan, speaking to BT Sport: "We tried to stay in the game and thankfully it turned out well for us.

"I think we struggled a little bit to find spaces in the first half. We weren't all together in the right positions. Everton did really well, they defended well and they are a great team, so it's not easy. We knew that we could struggle before the game but we overcame it and we did really well.

"I just tried to be there waiting for the rebound. I think the timing was perfect - it was a great win. I'm enjoying it at the moment, everyone put in the hard work. This is not a given, it's not granted, so we need to make the right decisions.

"We don't always make the best kind of football but it's about staying in the game and finding the right moments, being patient. There will be a few more games like this I think but we have to be ready for them. If you want to win trophies and fight for everything, you have to find a way to win."
For a guy who suffered some awful, career threatening injuries he deserves a season like this :clap::tophat:

19:51
City on a roll

City have reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup in three consecutive seasons for the first time since the 1930s.**

Ilkay Gundogan has scored 16 goals in all competitions this season, at least three more than any Manchester City player. He’s scored in three consecutive matches for City for the first time.

Kevin de Bruyne has been involved in nine goals in his last eight FA Cup appearances, scoring four and assisting five.

** 1932, 1933, 1934

MuEN
Player Ratings
Steffen 6, Walker 7, Dias 7, Laporte 8, Zinchenko 7, Fernandinho 9, Gundogan*** 7, Bernardo* 6, Sterling** 7, Foden 7, Jesus 6.

Mahrez * 7, De Bruyne** 8 Rodri*** not marked.
Mahrez 7? He did nothing, short of not taking the ball in from Rodri, and that nice bit of play at the death. Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same game.

19:52
'We played the game we wanted to play'

Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti, speaking to BT Sport: "We were almost there, we did well and we did the best that we can do. We defended well and for at least 80 minutes, we had the game under control.

"I am satisfied because we were beaten by the best team in the world - they are the best.

"We wanted to to keep them uncomfortable. Of course, they are comfortable with the ball but we defended well and we didn't concede space. We played the game that we wanted to play.

"They have the best bench in the world. It was a good experience for us and there are no regrets. The regrets are the games against Burnley or the game against Fulham, but we are on time. We have 10 games in the league and we want to fight for our position in Europe next season.

On goalkeeper Joao Virginia: "He did really well. He has not much experience but he has quality. He always works really hard and he's really focused."