Evans yes or no | Vital Football

Evans yes or no

Evans as manager or DOF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A huge gamble. If he isn't successful from the off many will react negatively. That said if he gets us winning at home then that's an improvement. Shelf life of any Gills manager is two years. If you don't like this appointment give it 18 months and a change will come

Yes -if he gets the appropriate budget and backing. No - if we're going to remain as skinflints without a pot to piss in.

Would much prefer if there was another manager out there who is a lot more likeable.

But like posters above, so long as he does well here and doesn’t leave a train wreck behind him on the way out I’ll support him. Both those things would be long shots imho.

Very big call by Scally if he does actually appoint him. He surely knows how unpopular Evans is among the fan base. He must have some very good reasons to make such an appointment.

Agreed, it's a strange one. There certainly must be a considerable amount of arrogance on both sides, as a motive. Evans must know he is largely despised at the Gills, yet must believe he has the minerals to turn around his reputation here; and Scally backing him financially like he has been used to with other clubs?

Yes -if he gets the appropriate budget and backing. No - if we're going to remain as skinflints without a pot to piss in.

How exactly will he get a big budget at the present time?

Scally has previously said that we have to generate a certain amount from player sales each season just to break even after paying him his salary.

As Eaves and Holy are now going to be free agents, we have nobody to sell so the club will be sliding in to (further?) debt.

The Centerplate and Egan sell on money must have been depleted due to the relaying of the pitch and the small attendances at the back end of the season.

Unless Dack moves on, the money just is not there.

That is another reason why we should not hire Evans on a long contract as when the inevitable fall out happens (probably about money) he and Raynor will wait for their pay outs like they are currently doing with Macanthony.

Sorry do not really understand the question, or how to reply on the options.
Just touch the relevant answer .Do you want Evans to be appointed or not simple yes or no?Just wondering what the balance of options was on this board. There are clearly so very strong opinions on the side of no .Will this sway Scally or indeed Evans who knows if it is not a done deal perhaps it might.

Torn about this.
I just don't want to be the one who has to say, when he has a massive bust up with Scally and heads off back north to manage Rangers after getting us promotion at the first go, well I told you so.

I've voted no because I don't like him, or his sidekick. I think he will be coming however because was sitting at the top of the Medway Stand for several home games. On the plus side we will generate plenty of publicity and be involved in a deal of conflict, which will be entertaining. If the football is Raynor style hoofing then we may need some off field antics to distract us. In any event that pair will probably knock the EU/Brexit thread out cold.

Mr Flynn would be my number 1 choice personally, but I think it's unlikely we'd get him if he gets Newport up, and still may struggle if they stay down (if the rumoured Championship clubs interested in him are true).

If not, I wouldn't be overly bothered about Evans. He may be a fat obnoxious prat, but it's business at the end of the day.

If we can do better than fighting relegation and become competitive at home again, then I don't really care too much who the manager is personally.

My main concern with Evans is not so much his attitude, but his recruitment style. Everywhere he's been previously i've noticed that he pretty much clears out most of the old squad he's taking over, and quickly replaces them with seemingly random players from all over the place. And he'll most probably want/need more budget than an up and coming league 2 manager in the Flynn mould, which could prove costly for the club in the mid/long term if it doesn't work out.

Although I do think we need to get rid of a fair few and bring in replacements, I don't think we need to have a full on clean out, and I would be disappointed if someone a bit gung-ho like Evans comes in and gets rid of most of our players. Especially young first teamers such as List/Hanlon/RCC/Oldaker etc. who are just starting to show some decent promise.

Whoever comes in I hope they keep the nucleus of the young players at the club, get shot of the sick notes, and spends what budget they do get from Scally wisely on some half decent quality contracted players for our level, and saves the majority of loans for the latter part of the season if and when we need them.

My guess is that 50% of players will feel the same way as the fans.Going to see a lot of departures some will need to be paid off .On top of that Scally will have to give Evans a much bigger budget and possibly transfer fees as well .Then about a year down the line most of feel sure it will end in a major bust up.Court case ?Another clear out ?Scally appealing for more support or a investor:rofl::rofl::please::please: to help with debts.

If I don't like the result of this poll, can we have another one (or more) until I like the result please? That's the way it works now isn't it?