Evans rightly livid about Covid Fleetwood situation | Vital Football

Evans rightly livid about Covid Fleetwood situation

chris who

Vital Champions League
Just heard Evans comments seriously not happy about the the lack of protection of Gillingham with the game taking place without Fleetwood being tested.Has promised to name and shame those responsible on Monday.

Just heard Evans comments seriously not happy about the the lack of protection of Gillingham with the game taking place without Fleetwood being tested.Has promised to name and shame those responsible on Monday.

Shame he didn't do it before the game lol

I have sent this to my MP Tracey Crouch

Fleetwood played Accrington on Tuesday night since than several Accrington players have gone down with Covid.

The Fleetwood players and staff were not tested before their trip to Gillingham.

The FA have serious questions to answer as to why they dictated that this game was given the go ahead .Dispite calls from Gillingham for it to be stopped.

I suggest a few other fans so the same this was terrible decision by the FA and those responsible should be removed from office.

It's absolute bollocks that the EFL are letting clubs travel all over the country without putting in place a regular testing programme, especially after incidents of positive tests like with Accrington. Who funds that is up for debate, but between the EFL and the PFA they need to ensure they do their uppermost to ensure players are not put at any more risk than necessary. The PFA will be the first ones bleating if, God forbid, one of their members dies as a result of contracting Covid.

Last edited:
Just read the Kent on line interview, absolute disgrace.

the fact Fleetwood Town stayed in a hotel last night makes it even more ludicrous.

lets see if we name and shame because I am totally gobsmacked over who in the EFL made these statements.

I know the health issue is paramount but we need to have a clear set of rules and procedures. Imagine a few Gills players test positive but we are forced to play our next game. That sort of situation would soon devalue an already compromised competition. We need to complete this season in as fair and normal a fashion as possible. It shouldn't be a game of snakes and ladders.

I know the health issue is paramount but we need to have a clear set of rules and procedures. Imagine a few Gills players test positive but we are forced to play our next game. That sort of situation would soon devalue an already compromised competition. We need to complete this season in as fair and normal a fashion as possible. It shouldn't be a game of snakes and ladders.
Sorry Jo you need to spoon feed me on that one as I don’t understand your point

Sorry Jo you need to spoon feed me on that one as I don’t understand your point

No problem Sturdy. We were compelled to play a possibly covid infected but full strength Fleetwood side today and lost. Imagine testing reveals that a few of our players have been infected but not enough to stop our next game being played. We would then have been punished twice for something not of our making. Something like that is going to happen if the administrators don't get their fingers out. Carry on regardless and we may have an enforced lockdown in our league if numbers of players are needlessly infected.

That’s fine I get your point

maybe today’s game should have been postponed along with two other games ln league one today as a preventative measure.

maybe in 5 days time they all test negative, what if they test Positive.

its not about the points here it’s about common sense in my eyes.
if they test positive it could result in the transmission to hundreds of people, hotel staff, GFC staff and whoever else they came into contact with over the last 48 hours in Kent.

I know the health issue is paramount but we need to have a clear set of rules and procedures. Imagine a few Gills players test positive but we are forced to play our next game. That sort of situation would soon devalue an already compromised competition.

But where's the difference between that and some kind of sickness bug sweeping through a team? We sometimes see cases of that, and a team with 5 or 6 players ruled out because of the bug.

Just to be clear, I'm not in any way comparing the severity of Covid with that of a sickness bug, nor am I necessarily saying that today's game shouldn't have been called off. But I don't think that a team with several players out due to Covid is devaluing the competition in any way. It's one of those things, along with injuries and other kinds of illnesses.

That’s fine I get your point

maybe today’s game should have been postponed along with two other games ln league one today as a preventative measure.

maybe in 5 days time they all test negative, what if they test Positive.

its not about the points here it’s about common sense in my eyes.
if they test positive it could result in the transmission to hundreds of people, hotel staff, GFC staff and whoever else they came into contact with over the last 48 hours in Kent.
If I go to a pub that has Covid positive that evening I would be tested.I would not be expected to go to work until I was clear .Why is that not the case for footballers?

But where's the difference between that and some kind of sickness bug sweeping through a team? We sometimes see cases of that, and a team with 5 or 6 players ruled out because of the bug.

Just to be clear, I'm not in any way comparing the severity of Covid with that of a sickness bug, nor am I necessarily saying that today's game shouldn't have been called off. But I don't think that a team with several players out due to Covid is devaluing the competition in any way. It's one of those things, along with injuries and other kinds of illnesses.
The difference being the the authorities knew Fleetwood played Accrington who were proven to have Covid had they met in a pub and not a football pitch then then they would not have been allowed to travel without a test.Gillingham players staff and indeed hotel staff and all their families should not be put at unnecessary risk because some silly idiot in authority can't tell his arss from his elbow.

The difference being the the authorities knew Fleetwood played Accrington who were proven to have Covid had they met in a pub and not a football pitch then then they would not have been allowed to travel without a test.Gillingham players staff and indeed hotel staff and all their families should not be put at unnecessary risk because some silly idiot in authority can't tell his arss from his elbow.

Read my post again Chris, you've completely missed my point. I'm not referring specifically to today's game and the Fleetwood players. I'm making a more general point in response to Jogills saying that a team being forced to play when having several players out due to Covid would devalue the competition.

Read my post again Chris, you've completely missed my point. I'm not referring specifically to today's game and the Fleetwood players. I'm making a more general point in response to Jogills saying that a team being forced to play when having several players out due to Covid would devalue the competition.
My point was that had the authorities taken the right action in the first place no game would or should take place that causes a significant additional risk.Todays game and now possibly our game at Ipswich now has a significant extra risk that is 100% down to the idiot that gave the game the go ahead without proper professional safety measures taking place.The authorities have already damaged the competition the moment they allow games like todays to happen. If Gillingham and Fleetwood and the hotel get infections that is a step towards abandoning the season altogether. Forget individual results for a minute this is bigger than Gillingham or Fleetwood.

I don't think there is anything between us madrid. I just think the authorities need to make absolutely clear what the testing protocols are, if any. They also need to make clear what they expect of clubs with infected players and clubs who have come in contact with those players. I'm sure there are ethical and medical points to argue but I was focused on the functioning of our competition.

It's easy to see how it goes in élite football and rugby and they seem to have worked out how to deal with the inevitable stupidity of individuals. At our level there appears to be the very real risk that we see a slow motion car crash, in which postponements spiral due to inattention, and result in chaos.