Evans on the budget again | Vital Football

Evans on the budget again

I believe SE is being open and honest about budget issues. PS must be happy with this or he would have stopped it as with previous managers.
I have always thought my team had a competitive pot for division 1 and this is now obviously not the case. We have a "Bottom Four" budget and if we finish about fourth from bottom I probably shouldn't complain.

I don't think our squad is that bad given the budget; we're not leaking goals but, unfortunately, we're not creating enough chances or scoring regulalry. But we all know that can change and then we go on a run of two/three/ wins [hopefully]. Right now, inconsistency seems to be our biggest problem - perhaps a bit more effort could sort that out.

It also shows how well previous managers have done simply keeping us up in league one .Those that have certainly should not be the subject fans having a dig at them.Evans will almost certainly have to give Hanlon and Jakubiak more chances than the perhaps deserve at times as they are the only players he has that look like they could become goal scorers.There is still real doubts about the Hanlon doing it .I think Jakubiak will at some point in his career. I would like to see him play further forward to be honest.
I did not mention Ndjoli as I really have not seen much of him at all and I will leave that to others.As for Mandron unless he turns the corner like Eaves did it is hard to see him getting many goals at all.

Last edited:
If we are going to have a post every time Evans mentions the budget it's going to be a long season. He's only telling it like it is.

If we are going to have a post every time Evans mentions the budget it's going to be a long season. He's only telling it like it is.
Quite right, although does he need to keep mentioning it? Others have done well on low budgets and I don't think or at least hope not that Scally would promise funds we don't have.

Our crowds have dropped in the last few years but for quite a few years immediately prior to that we had steady mid to top half league one attendance figures and a lot of us felt a upper mid table league one team was our level.

Then our budget went to bottom third and attendances followed to match.

Scally is a good businessman, he is running a tight ship and he is running it very well.

Its also quite lucrative for him but Its well within his rights it’s just a bit gauling sometimes seeing him take out, comparatively speaking at this level, such large fees when we keep hearing about needing to work to our bottom 4 player budget.

Knowing Scally maybe our budget is competitive. This is just a smokescreen for player wage negotiations!

Our crowds have dropped in the last few years but for quite a few years immediately prior to that we had steady mid to top half league one attendance figures and a lot of us felt a upper mid table league one team was our level.

Scally is a good businessman, he is running a tight ship and he is running it very well.

Its also quite lucrative for him but Its well within his rights it’s just a bit gauling sometimes seeing him take out, comparatively speaking at this level, such large fees when we keep hearing about needing to work to our bottom 4 player budget.

Knowing Scally maybe our budget is competitive. This is just a smokescreen for player wage negotiations!
Of course we have a competitive budget, our 5,000 gate compares favourably with Sunderland's 28,000 doesn't it. :shake:

Yes a great bit of management. The club has lost around 10 million or more during his time with us of which Scally and his family and court cases have had a sizeable part of that . There have been good times but a very heavy cost to us not him.Had our overspend happen now we would be exactly where Bury are now.Great thanks mate.Bury have been thrown out the league and I would not mind betting if I gambled which I don't they have lost less than us this last twenty years and their Chairmen have taken less out too.
Scally is very fortunate to still have a business. The Banking crisis saved our skin not Scally he was mearly very lucky indeed.

I mean i can understand that we probably do have one of the smallest budgets in the league but to keep going on about it is worrying. SE knew before he took the job that he was going to have a small budget, seems like he is using a excuse for us not starting that well this season.

Seems our fans dont like our manager telling everyone we have a poor budget. The same happened with JED. As soon as he talked about the small budget fans really lost it with him. I think our fans like to live in ignorance of these things, maybe.

I remember fans at the begining of the season claiming that it was 'obvious' that SE had been given a higher budget than Lovell.

Are we sure he’s not commenting on the budget because he’s being asked these questions in the first place?

Jeez! I hope we win on Saturday. All this budget speculation stuff goes away when we win a couple of games.