Evans at the end of his tether? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Evans at the end of his tether?

In terms of the 'no buyers because of Scally's valuation' theory. I'd speculate that he'd take under the going rate if someone asked to buy it in one lump some with no questions asked. He's had heart issues and isn't getting any younger. I would imagine he'd love to cash out and get rid of the abuse and stress.

My mate owns a business that he gets little thanks for and stress by the bucket load. Last I spoke he'd cash out in a heartbeat at a valuation about a 3rd of what it's probably worth.
When Theo Pathitis sees Paul Scally he always greets him with, still stuck with that football club.
He once had Millwall and couldn’t wait to bail out.
He described it as a lot of agro for little return.

I’ve never quite understood the point about advertising. Firstly, where ? TV advertising is hideously expensive and highly unlikely to be cost effective. Local radio might reach a few but there is already regular Gills news on Radio Kent. Local papers are a dying breed. The general consensus seems to be that social media is the way to go and Gills stuff is as comprehensive as any other club at our level that I’ve seen. I’ve even seen people talk about the posters that used to be on buses. I’d be interested to see what percentage of the local population use buses these days. If advertising was key, it’s surprising that big cup matches that are unadvertised still sell out.

I take your point with regard to advertising the club in general. I do think it's worth increasing the advertising any time we've got a ticket offer though. People who know about the Gills and who perhaps wouldn't bother at the normal price may reconsider if there's an offer on.

With regard to advertising on buses, not sure if you're referring to adverts inside or outside the bus. You don't need to travel on one to see the adverts on the outside. If you're stuck behind or alongside a bus in traffic, you'll see them.

That’s all very well and good Captain, but even if we all agreed that Scally has taken the club as far as he can ……. Then what ?
If you know of buyers queuing up to buy a league one football club, then please share with the rest of us.
If Scally out?
Who in?
If you don’t have an answer, then your comments are irrelevant.
Scally's biggest problem as captain has said is he has not got the clout alone to make promotion a realistic prospect. He is unable or unwilling to find a investors. The prospect of mid table at best will not pack Priestfield so any manager is up against it .It certainly could be worse manager wise and also chairman wise .I don't think he is claiming any different. It is what it is but selling our club to mates gets harder by the year.There are no real answers only questions I wish Evans well but still wonder how we ended up with what we have and no budget?

In terms of the 'no buyers because of Scally's valuation' theory. I'd speculate that he'd take under the going rate if someone asked to buy it in one lump some with no questions asked. He's had heart issues and isn't getting any younger. I would imagine he'd love to cash out and get rid of the abuse and stress.

My mate owns a business that he gets little thanks for and stress by the bucket load. Last I spoke he'd cash out in a heartbeat at a valuation about a 3rd of what it's probably worth.
Don’t agree with this at all.
Scally bought Gillingham to make money for himself and he’s done very well off the club for 25-26 years now.
If he was to step down I’d expect his son who sits with him in the directors’ area to take over.
But I can’t see it happening until Scally gets too old/ill to remain in charge.

And most of it comes down to lack of casual staff. People really are blind to the problems facing hospitality (and football is part of the hospitality sector) since the pandemic and Brexit.

I don't know any details but I wonder how previous staff were treated by scally in the last 18 months ? Some businesses did all they could to support their staff through this crisis. I wonder how gills compared and I wonder if that may have something to do with lack of people rushing to work for gills again..

You reap what you sow sometimes

The population of the Medway Towns is about the same as the population of Sunderland.
They sustained a premier league club with a sold out ground.
The only time we’ve sold out was when at home to Charlton or Palace.
I genuinely don’t have a solution to our poor attendance but I don’t think we utilise advertising effectively.
We never have.
It’s like Gills is Kent’s best kept secret.
I’ve lived in the NE. Sunderland and Newcastle are proper football places. You could ask 100 random people about the match last weekend and everybody would know about it - even those who don’t follow football. It’s engrained in them. It’s part of their identity and part of their culture.

If anyone on here had £20m to give Mr Scally to buy the club would they?

Gillingham have never had decent attendances - long before PS was at the helm. There has always been apathy for GFC in Medway. It is a structural demographic problem - not a problem with the owner.

And consider how ridiculous what you say is. I appreciate you might not like PS but it is clouding your vision. There are 2 types of supporter:

1. Loyal supporter - generally they’ll go to games irrespective of their opinion of the chairman and irrespective of how well we are doing in the league. Those loyal supporters who don’t like PS will ‘support the team, not the regime’.

2. Casual supporter - generally they won’t have a fucking clue who PS is. They’ll be making decisions about whether to spend £30 to watch a football game or go to the cinema. And they’ll be persuaded by the quality of the entertainment on the pitch.

It is absurd to say that half a million people in the vicinity of GFC are boycotting the club because of PS!

Yes there has always been a struggle to get people through the gates to a certain degree, but its alot easier when you have a winning team on the pitch, like in PS early years. That's what gets the casuals through the gates, the loyal supporters will go no matter what, but they're not the ones who boost the gate. We've always had a hardcore of 4k ish ever since I've been going since laste 80's. When the team is doing shite or struggling and people see and hear about a lack of investment in the core product they find other things to do, the gates then return to core levels. Once you lose supporters it's difficult to get them back as there are so many other things going on in people's lives and to do.

If I had that sort of money to buy a club it wouldnt be Gillingham either! I like the idea of a club around Isthmian/ Southern league level and building them up to the football league!

Evans knew he was weak up front , why didn't he sign another striker instead of focusing on defence and midfield? I can only think he miscalculated his available funds.

Evans knew he was weak up front , why didn't he sign another striker instead of focusing on defence and midfield? I can only think he miscalculated his available funds.
That or he thought Akindie would be easier to shift. Or thought Scally would be easier to persuade. The only way it is Scally's error is if he over estimated the amount of funds he would be able to deliver and has had to trim them because or lower than expected revenues.

2. Casual supporter - generally they won’t have a fucking clue who PS is. They’ll be making decisions about whether to spend £30 to watch a football game or go to the cinema. And they’ll be persuaded by the quality of the entertainment on the pitch.

What's going to be easier to buy on a whim? The cinema ticket or the Gills one?

Not much in it. Most people these days buy their cinema tickets on line, even at the last minute. Now that’s just as easy to do buying a Gills ticket.
Funnily enough I took my kids to the local Odeon today. Not only is it impossible to pay for tickets with cash (you have to do it on the phone or at a kiosk) but the same is true of buying popcorn. A lot of businesses are going that way, like it or not.