Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 418 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

I think they do when they can feel it in their own pocket. Technically being in or out of a recession doesn't matter as long as they feel they have money coming in. Most people don't know what GDP is and (quite rightly) don't care.
But the higher the GDP, the higher the tax paid figure, which should therefore mean the higher spending on public services.
It is without doubt the most important thing for any government. The highest GDP's in the world naturally have the highest literacy rates and the higher life expectancy, amongst other things.

But the higher the GDP, the higher the tax paid figure, which should therefore mean the higher spending on public services.
It is without doubt the most important thing for any government. The highest GDP's in the world naturally have the highest literacy rates and the higher life expectancy, amongst other things.

I'm not saying GDP isn't important. It obviously is. However, the average man on the street doesn't care about GDP. They measure economic growth by how much money they have in their pocket.

I'm not saying GDP isn't important. It obviously is. However, the average man on the street doesn't care about GDP. They measure economic growth by how much money they have in their pocket.
Are you aggravating on two fronts tonight. Is it boring where you are at the moment.🤣

Which goes back to my original point, do the electorate care? Similarly to Wittonite's point about Labours plans.
A lot of people will vote anti-tory, with an attitude of 'anything is better.' They've already shown it in Midlands by voting against Andy Street, even though he did everything he could to distance himself from the Torys, and was hugely successful and popular.
It's a bit like bluenoses and their blind love for Wagner/Shelby/Knighthead. They've got them relegated with awful decision making. But they hated the old lot so much, they don't care.

Just a point of order.

This is Brexit thread - which I wish for now was done and dusted, as it happened and that is that.

We have the politics thread.

I answered in here earlier, from reading posts, thinking I was in the politics thread.

From "The Economist"...

It is rare for voters to change their minds soon after referendums. Experience from Canada to Scotland, from Norway to Switzerland, suggests rather that opinions tend to move in favour of a referendum result more than they swing against it. But Brexit seems to be an exception. Since the 52-48% vote in favour of leaving the European Union in June 2016, the majority view among Britons has shifted, and especially so in the past two years, towards the conclusion that the decision was wrong....

From "The Economist"...

It is rare for voters to change their minds soon after referendums. Experience from Canada to Scotland, from Norway to Switzerland, suggests rather that opinions tend to move in favour of a referendum result more than they swing against it. But Brexit seems to be an exception. Since the 52-48% vote in favour of leaving the European Union in June 2016, the majority view among Britons has shifted, and especially so in the past two years, towards the conclusion that the decision was wrong....

Yes, if the referendum was held tomorrow, Brexit would be defeated easily.

My concern is that 34% of the electorate in the UK have seen the consequences of Brexit and still think it was the right decision.

It's much lower than the 52% who voted for it in 2016 but it's 34% higher than it should be.

Is there anyone in the UK who has benefited from Brexit (apart from Rees Mogg and his hedge fund)?

I'm amazed that despite Brexit clearly being a huge mistake, Starmer won't come out and say it was all a terrible idea and we should get back in the EU pronto.

Is there still a significant level of support for it?

As a medium term strategy for any future PM, maybe even Starmer assuming he’s just trying to not rock the boat at this stage which I think is his strategy in general, going back into the EU in some form is an easy win economically. We’ll end up in the EEA, paying into the EU and accepting the four freedoms, or something similar.

To my mind, that outcome is inevitable. I don’t see us going back into the EU as a fully fledged member any time soon which will keep the Brexiteers happy, even if we will end up doing very similar a different way.

From "The Economist"...

I’m fairly sure there were a significant number of people who used Brexit as a protest vote, much like local council elections. One of my parents admitted that, voted Brexit thinking it wouldn’t happen, the problem is that is when so many people think that, it can swing a result.

I’ll never forget Boris’ face when all those cameras turned up outside his house and he looked like a rabbit in headlights with what had happened. He didn’t expect that result either.

That’s just a small theory of mine anyway as to what partly drove the outcome.

I was always against the idea of IQ testing people before allowing them to vote. I think I have changed my mind now.

I get that people were duped by Farage and his jingoism but anyone who still thinks Brexit was a good idea should be chemically castrated and barred from any serious job.

As we live in a supposed democracy, what about we weight people’s votes based on their IQ? For example, my vote would be worth 148 basis points :whist: versus the average Brexiteer of 50. It would take nearly three dimwits to outvote me.

I’d also like to propose we tax people more based on significant referendums. Take Brexit, the U.K. has lost £140bn worth of growth, so each Brexiteer would have their tax free allowance reduced by £8k per year to compensate. Lovely win the for the treasury. I’ll start the petition…

I am amazed no one has mentioned the biggest Impact on the UK since Brexit!!!

No Points at the Eurovision (Including Australia) song contest.
OK our song was shit and 5 blokes with not much on dancing in a box touching themselves have nothing to do with it.

Rejoin the EU now and we can get Cliff Richards back in training before he pops his clogs, at least he came second (twice)

OK our song was shit and 5 blokes with not much on dancing in a box touching themselves have nothing to do with it.

Rejoin the EU now and we can get Cliff Richards back in training before he pops his clogs, at least he came second (twice)
🤣🤣🤣

If Brexit had never of happened I think after being forced to watch that “performance” last night the rest of Europe would have chucked us out anyway

It's a shame brexit didn't mean that we were refused entry to the song contest. It's a painful cringefest, and gets more so each year.
One of the few things that my wife does that irritates me is flicking between channels during the ad breaks of the programme she is watching. Last night she came upon the Eurovision. Moving quickly on from quite a revolting scene, she said, “I really hope our grandchildren are not watching this”.

From "The Economist"...

Said before, will say again (!) I just wish (whichever way it had gone) it was a big % winning. Looking back, can't help but blame the incompetents in the remain camp, they could easily have engaged the younger voters with things that actually mattered to them - as opposed to the long, drawn out and somewhat boring matters.