Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 293 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

Think we need to raise our level if we want to make it to the final. Lets be honest, as much as we all enjoyed the end last night we were bloody awful!

Football is such a wierd game. How can the same players play as they did against Arsenal then a few days later look like they've never seen a football before.

Definitely.
And I posted similar straight after the game about their fans dishing it out but not taking it .

I had banter (never abuse) with a few managers, Mark Hughes twice... I said something hilariously funny, he answered. I suppose in the modern world, I should have sued for emotional damage that he dared speak back to me! The one time he came back in a 'mock' Brummie accent (which is offensive, I was born in the Royal Town Of Sutton Coldfield, and that wasn't part of Brum! LOL) 'sorry mate, I can't understand you'.

I would probably need counselling these days if something so harrowing happened.

Must admit, I was thinking later, and do think Martinez might have been better doing his stuff at the end, not the start of pens.

At this stage of the season fuck the performances, it’s all about results. Last night was a great result at the end of the day. I wasn’t around for 1982 but I’d wager that not every performance was a good one on route to victory.

Think we need to raise our level if we want to make it to the final. Lets be honest, as much as we all enjoyed the end last night we were bloody awful!

Football is such a wierd game. How can the same players play as they did against Arsenal then a few days later look like they've never seen a football before.

Genuinely think it is tiredness and injuries now. We were pedestrian for sure, and kept giving the ball away. Hope it wasn't the atmosphere and occasion getting to them.

At this stage of the season fuck the performances, it’s all about results. Last night was a great result at the end of the day. I wasn’t around for 1982 but I’d wager that not every performance was a good one on route to victory.

Was going to say that, it wasn't... but as you say, all about the results. It is fine to moan about it during the match though, that is just natural. But as long as you win, that is the be-all and end-all really isn't it. Always nice to win with swagger and build the momentum, but any way it takes, is fine.

And to think Bruce Grobbelaar got lauded for all his antics - none of this bile. The BBC were more bothered about the dippers comeback - you know the 0-1 damp squib win. 88th minute equaliser, win by penalties away to a very very good team that has lost only one game in 38, with a complete ****** for a referee as usual. What a bloody season so far - loving it :cheers:

Whinging bastard, all night he was at the ref.
On the subject of the ref, there wasn't a bad foul or tackle all night, and whilst I don't know the total, his cards must have been in double figures. Surely EUFA must have better than this at their disposal. I can only conclude that by appointing him they knew fully what his temperament is like, and that he wasn't a fit and proper official for a big game, but just didn't care. He single handedly ruined last night as a spectacle, with his John Cleese like performance. He gave himself no thinking time with any of his decisions, was confrontational with the players and obviously considered himself to be the central figure in proceedings. Shouldn't be in charge of any further big games with that type of personality.

I was thinking that last night. In the second round we lost 1-0 at home to Berlin after winning 2-1 at their place.

They absolutely battered us hit the post , bar , and Jimmy Rimmer made some great saves.

I often think about that game. We got battered tbh.

On the subject of the ref, there wasn't a bad foul or tackle all night, and whilst I don't know the total, his cards must have been in double figures. Surely EUFA must have better than this at their disposal. I can only conclude that by appointing him they knew fully what his temperament is like, and that he wasn't a fit and proper official for a big game, but just didn't care. He single handedly ruined last night as a spectacle, with his John Cleese like performance. He gave himself no thinking time with any of his decisions, was confrontational with the players and obviously considered himself to be the central figure in proceedings. Shouldn't be in charge of any further big games with that type of personality.

However he allowed our goal and didnt give the cash handball penalty. Both correct decisions - but many refs would have given at least 1 of those