Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 369 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

Andy Gray was sold by Ron Saunders and he was the best striker I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. We were fuming gutted etc Then we won the league with a donkey called Withe . Nobody not even Jack was untouchable and he was the best footballer I've seen in a Villa shirt.
Sure, but Ollie isn't just someone who puts the ball in the net. 31 goals and assists in the league and counting plus he's totally integral to our build up. Struggling to think who could do his specific job better than him.

Emi1 and Torres are also absolutely vital to the way we play. Get a good DCM in and we are back in business.

See I think Torres is a bit of a luxury player.

I would agree with Emery that his ability on the ball and range of passing is probably amongst the best I've seen. And he is by now means a bad player.

But his defensive ability is at best adequate.

No chance of him going anywhere of course - I do worry about constructing the defence around him though.

I think quite a few are in for a big reality check next season with their 4th be all and end all.

Such things that have been posted during this european campaign . Unai doesn't want to play full strength. Unai prioritises the top 4, this cup is a tin pot distraction and we didn't need it .

You wait . Just wait and see how different and difficult next season will be.

I don't mean this in a negative way - but I do wonder if this squad of players has peaked.

I mean Ron Saunders dismantled a successful 1977 team - and sold some players that were untouchable - and it wasn't universally popular at the time but by 1980 you could see the wisdom.

In particular the defence - IMO Konsa would be the only one I would be really keen to hang onto.

This squad have done great - but can any more be squeezed out of them ?
Thats were we differ, I think Konsa is ok, but not great if we want to make that next step up.
For me, he loses the ball to often, he gets caught in possession more than he should, normally feigning a foul that the ref doesn't buy into, he's certainly a better CB than RB, so maybe this season he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but our defensive record isnt great, its worse than Evertons, its our attacking play that's got us to where we are, only 8 goals less than Liverpool, who's striking options far out weigh ours.

I also think he misses Mings, who Marshall's his defence far better than Torres does, what is certain the defence needs sorting for next season.

A world class RB and LB would take so much pressure of our CB,'s

I thought we had one more big performance left in us but it just wasnt happening for us was it. Absolutely gutted but with so many creative players missing i'm not sure we could have done any better. I'm gonna feel sorry for myself for a few days but the players need to somehow find something and get us over the line for top 4

See I think Torres is a bit of a luxury player.

I would agree with Emery that his ability on the ball and range of passing is probably amongst the best I've seen. And he is by now means a bad player.

But his defensive ability is at best adequate.

No chance of him going anywhere of course - I do worry about constructing the defence around him though.
Now that's were we agree, defensive wise he's been poor

Cold light of day though we have never been convincing in Europe have we. Our poorest run of performances so to speak have been in Europe despite the run to the semis. Away to Az and home to Ajax stand out otherwise very average.

But for first season back it's all part of the learning and we really don't need the over reaction of needing to sell half the squad. :slap:

I think quite a few are in for a big reality check next season with their 4th be all and end all.

Such things that have been posted during this european campaign . Unai doesn't want to play full strength. Unai prioritises the top 4, this cup is a tin pot distraction and we didn't need it .

Yep I expect Unai will have us fighting for the title rather than just the top 4, it's the way he rolls. I love him and his attitude to the game.

Well that was a big let down wasn't it. Got myself all gee'd up for a massive comeback, best game of the century and it was just a lot of huff and puff and no pudding.

Think we've basically come to the end of the road with this season, it's caught up with us due to injuries and the amount of workload put on the remaining individuals. No point crying over it though, we all know that a cup run can be snuffed out in an instant and we were lucky against Lille.

Hope we can get a couple more players back for Monday evening, otherwise I think my 7-2 prediction may be a tad optimistic :grinning:

This season has been fairly draining for us all, so one more home victory, seal CL football with aplomb and move on to the summer where we can regroup and strengthen.

Maybe the PL can adopt this idea for next season I mean should it not be a ruling for all?

why should the PL make allowances for increasingly bloated Euro comps ?
Suppose we could ditch the caraboa cup and fa cup to free up a bit of time so more group games and 2 legged 'knock out' matches can be crammed in.

Got to love the narrative now. Spurs aren't as bad as their results suggest now !!!

They absolutely are.

I know if we had lost 4 in a row no one would be saying that about us.
Jamie O’Hara the ugly little spurs toad sums it up claiming Villa don’t deserve it - I know it’s click bait but Villa bloody do deserve it and more. From where we have come from a few years back and where spurs have - it’s night and day. I actually think that scrappy unbeaten run a few games back where we accumulated some points wasn’t too shabby, in fact it looks like earning us CL after building that 7 point gap.

why should the PL make allowances for increasingly bloated Euro comps ?
Suppose we could ditch the caraboa cup and fa cup to free up a bit of time so more group games and 2 legged 'knock out' matches can be crammed in.

Because having Premier League clubs winning European competitions raises the profile of the Premier League and makes it a better product.

Why else would other countries do it?

Once again the Premier League is behind the curve in seeing the value in this type of thing.

Any of the euro leagues are different and difficult - the UEFA cup will be a challenge just like the CL. One thing you have to give credit to is Moyes winning the conference uefa - their next season has been a tough one and they have given him the bullet - they want better football and success - Mmmmmmm

Because having Premier League clubs winning European competitions raises the profile of the Premier League and makes it a better product.

Once again the Premier League is behind the curve in seeing the value in this type of thing.
Yep. The PL think they're the ultimate football tournament in world football.

Cold light of day though we have never been convincing in Europe have we. Our poorest run of performances so to speak have been in Europe despite the run to the semis. Away to Az and home to Ajax stand out otherwise very average.

But for first season back it's all part of the learning and we really don't need the over reaction of needing to sell half the squad. :slap:

I don't think we did too badly in our first European campaign in over a decade or whatever, reaching the semi-finals, while also doing so well in the league.

Next season this thread will be gone and we'll have a Champions League 2024/2025 thread, if that's not progress I don't know what is.

Yep. The PL think they're the ultimate football tournament in world football.

well it is and
nah - champs league winners 3 out the last 5 suggests it's doing fine.
(obv West Ham won the minor one last year and Chelsea/Utd a Europa a few years back)

Still I suppose if we'd skipped the brighton game it would have made all the difference and we'd be fine to then play 3 games in a week to finish the season ?