Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 364 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

I think I have learned from this season not to get too carried away when it's going well (and it generally has) and try to not let the lows leaving me feeling so down after a poor defeat.

Although to be fair, it's not easy;)

It's time to reflect on the season as a whole and look forward to new incoming players to replace our inconsistent ones, and enjoy the thought of having a top manager and his assistants overseeing it all.

Tonight feels like first world problems.

I am gutted - I hate villa losing a Saturday 3pm let alone a European Semi final….but this was unimaginable not long a go. Its a nice problem to moan about.

So many times it’s been a relegation scrap or the last 3 games fizzling out into mid table mediocrity.

It will your right. I will then enjoy the Europa league.

I still think we would be better off in there. CL football is great but getting thrashed in it won't be. It will take us a few seasons to assemble a squad that is capable of winning something. I just hope if we do qualify for the CL that it doesn't ruin our season in the PL.

Not having a back up for Kamara was a stinking decision though and it’s cost us, Emery never fancied Dendoncker so that situation obviously should have been sorted in the summer not left until January and then botched further by not signing any replacement at all. The other losses have been unfortunate but it’s the Kamara one that has left us really struggling in my opinion
Unai decided Tim was the man then never played him, he let Dendoncker go on loan and the best part is he's hardly played and he'll be back.

Unai decided Tim was the man then never played him, he let Dendoncker go on loan and the best part is he's hardly played and he'll be back.

We do make some stupid decisions at times. All I can think is that we had to do it due to FFP.

This lot were in CL this season, and dropped down the this. Will we be ready for it next season????? Big jump up in quality!!!!!

This is the same group of players who performed so well for 3 quarters of the season, so I don’t see the need to get rid of half the squad because we’ve basically hit the wall. Our squad is threadbare so we need to increase the size of it, not get rid of half and find ourselves in a similar situation next season.

This is the same group of players who performed so well for 3 quarters of the season, so I don’t see the need to get rid of half the squad because we’ve basically hit the wall. Our squad is threadbare so we need to increase the size of it, not get rid of half and find ourselves in a similar situation next season.

We will need to get rid of some however to comply with UEFA's rules.

Cash, Carlos, Digne to name 3. It's easy to see why we concede so many goals even with the World's best keeper.

We may have got to 4th but we've been relying on a spuds implosion to stay there.
Digne's had a great season imo.
Nope we're currently 4th because we deserve to be. Nothing to do with anything Spurs have or havent done. We've got 67 points, they've got 60. Simples.

Well if you add the injured players it's actually not that bad a squad at all.

A few tweaks here and there and in Unai we trust.

I still think we would be better off in there. CL football is great but getting thrashed in it won't be. It will take us a few seasons to assemble a squad that is capable of winning something. I just hope if we do qualify for the CL that it doesn't ruin our season in the PL.

That I more than agree with. No doubt some are referencing Wet Spam last season, but they were in and out for a couple of years I believe. EL or ECL next season is a better shot for us, CL is better from the revenue front, but we ain't winning that.

If folks are right and dropping out no longer kicks you to EL, fates are again against us on the financial front.

It's why I'm so calm, and you'll remember I used to be apoplectic after games - we haven't found our balance yet.

To be fair a midfield of Doug , SJM , Tielemans , Rogers and Ramsey isn't too shabby. At the time letting Dendonker go didn't cause to many ripples.

We're all experts with hindsight.

Cash, Carlos, Digne to name 3. It's easy to see why we concede so many goals even with the World's best keeper.

We may have got to 4th but we've been relying on a spuds implosion to stay there.
I don’t agree that there needs to be a cull across the squad but Emery needs to spend the summer working out how to tighten it up at the back, either tactically or with personnel in the transfer market. Our overall defensive record isn’t terrible but in key moments we just never look like we can shut other teams out, we concede far too many early goals and let teams back in too easily. I don’t think those 3 players are specifically the issue but there is an issue somewhere collectively within the team

Really disappointing to go out over the two legs in the manner that we did, without ever really looking like we could put up a fight.

They say the premier league is the best in the world, yet the fourth best side in Greece as it stands, had too much energy, power, clinical finishing, shithousery, you name it, over the current 4th best team in England.

We ran out of ideas, and whilst we were missing key players, every club has injuries. With the resources have as a club and the money we have spent, we can’t blame injuries all the time.

Diaby was woeful and has been for a few weeks. I loved him when he first joined, but he’s lost his confidence and his rawness that did him so well. Perhaps the pressure has got to him.

I think Tim Irog is a good player, he’ll do well from the game but it’s just a bit deflating when we bring him on whilst we are trailing, as he doesn’t offer much going forward at this level.

Overall, it’s been a great season. I always saw the conference league as a bonus, a lot of fans got into it way more than me to be honest, so I’m not too down about it overall but to roll over and lose over two legs like we did getting beat convincingly in both games, is the part we might regret.