Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 331 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

You don't win anything for coming 4th though. I'm desperate to see us win a trophy again.
I got pelters for saying we should sack mon after two seasons of 6th which was the new first at the time, you get nothing for 6th.
I'd love to see us win the FA Cup but this Mickey Mouse European thing doesn't float my boat and if we get 4th hope we never have to play in it again, as we will have progressed way past that level.
As it is I hope we win it as well as finishing 4th , It is not a or choice.

I’ve always felt last night was going to come where we fall apart a little, though to be fair it came later in the season than I expected. Bailey had a decent game, but even he doesn’t seem to do as many stepovers or move his body like he used to, as an example of how tired we are.

I was worried by the line up, I knew we’d concede 2 goals (at least) therefore needed to deliver down the other end. Olsen was a forced change, but we did miss Torres I thought on the ball.

Their striker was a handful and delivered when needed, although he didn’t move much in general play, he turned it on when he needed to. Podence was lively, and in general they seemed like a team full of Emi1 equivalent shithouses. They spoiled the game and did a great job to put Luiz off the penalty.

I was frustrated with Diaby too, I get a quick, elastic player doesn’t want to get crunched, but he needs to at least have a go at using his body to win the ball especially when it’s bouncing around in their penalty area.

The starting line up put us on the back foot, partly enforced, but I didn’t get the changes. Morgan looks tired to me and it wasn’t his best game with their intensity closing down, but he was getting in good positions which opened the play up. I would’ve left him on, and brought Diaby off for Duran.

We tried to move McGinn further up who wasn’t in the game all that much in his deeper position, but it never felt like that was going to change the game.

Frustrating game, strange atmosphere I thought in the Holte End with things being thrown, lots of new faces desperate to watch the glory games, the heart attack incident and the game itself.

I’ve posted already about the referee, though to be that one sided in a high intensity and close game, takes the wind out of the sails of the side you aren’t favouring. Shocking decisions, especially the Bailey penalty claim. I accept our penalty conceded, but it took two hand balls and a foul for us to get the penalty awarded. Awful consistency, set the tone of the game.

Personally I'd probably bench Diaby and put another midfielder in. Thought we looked more dangerous at the start of the 2nd half when Cash was pushing forward a lot more. Konsa doesnt give us that option from out wide
I's play Tim instead of Diaby and Carlos instead of Cash we need to stop conceding goals somehow and we are being overrun in midfield

The ref was one of the worst I've seen. How Baileys penalty shout wasn't given by him or VAR genuinely astonished me after seeing the replay.

The one that's stuck with me though is when he stopped us mid counter attack to tell off Podence but didn't book him. The type of thing that can only mean either a complete narcissist, look at me personality or he's had a brown envelope stuffed with cash delivered to him by someone.

There is a good chance that with a 2 goal lead Olympiacos will sit a lot deeper and just try to keep us out for 90 minutes. So although we're all concerned about conceding over there, it may well be breaking them down that is the hardest part

The ref was one of the worst I've seen. How Baileys penalty shout wasn't given by him or VAR genuinely astonished me after seeing the replay.

The one that's stuck with me though is when he stopped us mid counter attack to tell off Podence but didn't book him. The type of thing that can only mean either a complete narcissist, look at me personality or he's had a brown envelope stuffed with cash delivered to him by someone.
The commentator said VAR didnt even check the Bailey penalty incident, which seems completely bizarre if true. At least in the PL you know when something is being checked. It all seems overly secretive in the European matches

I thought Cash was the only player who came off the pitch with any credit.

The problem is playing the powderpuff Diaby alongside Bailey and Rogers and then expecting to have a fully functioning midfield
I don't disagree mate Diaby and Bailey are the same player, we need an extra midfielder in there.

The commentator said VAR didnt even check the Bailey penalty incident, which seems completely bizarre if true. At least in the PL you know when something is being checked. It all seems overly secretive in the European matches
yes, they stop the clock at 45 and 90 as well for some reason so we can't see how long is left. In the PL the clock runs on so I can judge when to make my move to the exit normally 45 seconds and straight out as the whistle blows.

I got pelters for saying we should sack mon after two seasons of 6th which was the new first at the time, you get nothing for 6th.
I'd love to see us win the FA Cup but this Mickey Mouse European thing doesn't float my boat and if we get 4th hope we never have to play in it again, as we will have progressed way past that level.
As it is I hope we win it as well as finishing 4th , It is not a or choice.

I'm with you on this. I've never been that excited about the Conference. The thing is though, it's a competition that we can win, and winning is addictive. At some point we have to start winning stuff and it may as well start with this thing.

That's coming from someone who hasn't watched any of the games and will probably only watch the final if we get there.

There is a good chance that with a 2 goal lead Olympiacos will sit a lot deeper and just try to keep us out for 90 minutes. So although we're all concerned about conceding over there, it may well be breaking them down that is the hardest
So how do we go about breaking them down? I think we'd have a hard time going through the middle and no height up front if we go down the wings unless we have either Rodgers, Zaniolo or Duran in behind Watkins.

So how do we go about breaking them down? I think we'd have a hard time going through the middle and no height up front if we go down the wings unless we have either Rodgers, Zaniolo or Duran in behind Watkins.
No idea, but I'm sure Unai will be working hard on a plan to solve that one. I fully expected them to park the bus last night and they completely surprised me.
Wouldn't surprise me if he did something completely unexpected and did something like 3 at the back and pushed the full backs right up there.

We need Carlos Alberto.

We need them to actually turn up this time and IF they do that, then I'm fairly confident we can leave with a winning aggregate score as the Greek team are nothing special, plus they enjoyed a lot of luck last night and a referee who appeared he wanted them to win.

Talking of referee's, who is in charge of the second leg? - Please not this bent :clown:

Not read back in the thread... only opinion to me that matters, is mine. :tongue:

Our goal disallowed was harsh, but the foul right in front of the ref was silly.

They were fresher, and at us from the get-go. Thought they sussed us well.

We should have had a pen but it was a difficult one, so meh...

Their penalty was fair enough, I was surprised it took the ref a few moments to blow, looked clear and obvious to me.

Shame we missed our pen, but he's done so well this season with pens, one was bound to be missed. I am not sure I can quite forgive players having highlights - but I don't guess that is anything to do with the miss!

2-0 down with 90 mins to play, isn't an impossible task. I do feel we have scraped through in a few of these European games, hopefully we do so again next week.