Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 327 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

I think we have played around 5 games too many this season so far. The injuries have caught up with us massively.

Crushing blow. Too many poor performances and like Chelsea we gave the ball away too often and they punished us for it dearly.

Having said that everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong and wasn't helped by a bizarre refereeing display. Dear god I've just seen the penalty shout on Bailey in the first half and how that isn't a pen I'll never know.

Felt Doug would miss the pen as well , he had the original nightmare and someone else should have got the ball off him during that ridiculous delay.

Can't see us going through now, we'll concede next week because we can't keep clean sheets no matter who plays in goal and if they score next week then it's goodnight.

Mind you they did celebrate like Ipswich did in 1981 and nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing that cockiness rammed down their cheating little throats.

I've seen some poor refereeing performances in my time but tonight was the first time I genuinely believe that one was paid off. He must've been. He made so many massive errors, you could take your pick. Just one of them would see him demoted from the premier league if he did that in a league game.
UEFA should be able to sub the ref at half time if they are as bad s that!

The only ray of light is, at 2 goals down, the atmosphere in Athens will be far less intimidating for the players than if we were holding on to a 2 goal advantage. We just have to go for it next week, score at least one in the first half, and make sure Emi and Pau are starting.

I've seen some poor refereeing performances in my time but tonight was the first time I genuinely believe that one was paid off. He must've been. He made so many massive errors, you could take your pick. Just one of them would see him demoted from the premier league if he did that in a league game.
I have never seen that when we were clear down the right in the first half and he stopped play just to have a word with their player. Didn't even book him or anything.

Just total ineptitude.

Balmy evening, I’m usually quite composed when others around me are shouting, swearing etc but I got I caught up with it. The 4th goal killed me and I reverted to calm, I accepted it was over at that point. Cant see us coming back next week, really needed that penalty to roll in to make a game of it, it’ll be some atmosphere in Athens I’m sure of that. 3 goals, I can’t see it. 2 maybe, just as well there’s no away goals, at least keeps a small chance.

Referee and his accomplices were horrific, there was something in the second half for example where the linesman flagged one way but the ref rightly gave it our way, the numerous foul throws and so on. Just a load of bollocks decisions. It’s easy to say when your team loses but he was an awful ref, eventually gave us a penalty when he absolutely no choice not to.

Going to break the mold again, I didn't see any tiredness, we were undone by some poor (recurring) defensive errors and things not going our way upfront.

We're trying to find faults that we're there IMO. Lenglet was rusty, Dougie and McGinn shouldn't be tired they just had terrible games. Leon and Morgan were good. Diaby is off form. Ollie had a rough night, a couple of annoying things just wouldn't fall for him.

Football is a game with a lot of randomness and Mendilibar's team thrived on it.
Disagree completely tbh. We’re running on empty physically and mentally. It was obvious against Chelsea and again tonight.That leads to poor performances. They were quicker and sharper throughout. It’s been a long season, the squad is stretched and it’s gradually catching up with us.

Crushing blow. Too many poor performances and like Chelsea we gave the ball away too often and they punished us for it dearly.

Having said that everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong and wasn't helped by a bizarre refereeing display. Dear god I've just seen the penalty shout on Bailey in the first half and how that isn't a pen I'll never know.

Felt Doug would miss the pen as well , he had the original nightmare and someone else should have got the ball off him during that ridiculous delay.

Can't see us going through now, we'll concede next week because we can't keep clean sheets no matter who plays in goal and if they score next week then it's goodnight.

Mind you they did celebrate like Ipswich did in 1981 and nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing that cockiness rammed down their cheating little throats.
I’ve just watched the penalty shout for the first time on tv, difficult to tell from the Holte, definite penalty…so that’s another cock up from the prat with the whistle! And what the hell is VAR doing?!

Disagree completely tbh. We’re running on empty physically and mentally. It was obvious against Chelsea and again tonight.That leads to poor performances. They were quicker and sharper throughout. It’s been a long season, the squad is stretched and it’s gradually catching up with us.
Maybe its different being at the game, assuming you were, you usually are.

From the comfort of my living room I didn't think they were particularly special or that they worked harder than us. I think select players may have been tired i.e. Konsa, Digne, Dougie and McGinn, and maybe Ollie. Counterintuitively the two in the middle have had a couple of weeks rest.

Rogers was good, Bailey was good, the backline should have been okay with Cash and Lenglet barely playing recently. Diaby too though he doesn't seem to believe in himself.

I dunno, I don't blame the lads too much because IMO "luck", "randomness", "chaos" or whatever you want to call it. That played far more of a role in our defeat than anything else. I am not mad about the game, it truly was one of those utterly bizarre nights but I think we'll go to Greece and win.

Olympiakos are a far poorer team than Lille and that lad upfront has had the game of his life and he'll never ever have a better one.

I’ve just googled the Olympiakos owner, his name is

Evangelos Marinakis​

Apparently he is in the shipping trade. When you even see just what he looks like, he is definitely suspicious of match fixing with the referee.

That was a disgraceful performance from the ref, he influenced that result massively.

I'm just not that beat up about it, games like that I have a hard time being mad at. Thats just a freak result from the Gods, probably punishment for Unai tempting by sticking Lenglet in with Olsen. "Like really Bitch? You think you can just get away with this? You thought we wouldn't notice?"

Anyway I can feel in my bones that we'll go thru but of course, we could easily find ourselves getting knocked out because we concede a late corner at 2-0 and then game finishes 2-1.

I just don't think they are a good side and I think they could completely collapse in Olympiakos IF Emi plays and IF we go for it.

They did lose 1-4 at home to Macabbi Tel Aviv before winning the second leg 6-1.

We'll need an Arsenal away type peformance though, not a Lille away one.

Emery got it completely wrong tonight, especially in midfield, 4-2-4 formation meant we were completely overrun across the centre of the park, both in possession and out of it, McGinn and Luiz were haplessly chasing and rushing their play and being forced into making mistakes, both individually as well as collectively put in shambolic performances tonight. Yes we are missing Kamara and Tielemans but the solution to that problem can't be to just ignore it and pretend we aren't missing a midfielder, it's like starting the game with 10-men. Bailey, Rogers and Diaby are just never going to defend, that's just not their natural game soleaving just two players to cover the entire midfield area defensively, in transition and supporting in attack.. it's just nonsensical, no wonder we were battered by such a poor team. You can point to lack of options but it's needs-must, Tim Iroegbunam or even shoe-horning a defensive player into midfield as an emergency, surely better than only playing half a midfield and watching the team get completely overrun and pummelled for 80+ minutes.

Unfortunately I can't see us turning it around, based on how we've played in the last week or so. We can't keep clean sheets so we're already talking about a minimum of 3 goals scored just to level, maybe 4, no way are we winning 4-1 or 5-2 to win the tie in normal time, and I can't see us winning the lottery of the shoot-out twice. It's over in my eyes - the best opportunity to win a trophy for decades, the first European semi final in decades... and we play like that...