Erik Lamela - Former Player Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Erik Lamela - Former Player Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be massive shame if he couldn't play again. He's a talent and I thought he was getting better and better.

Cult hero status attained.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/917225/Erik-Lamela-Jack-Wilshere-north-London-derby-bust-up

ScottDaYid - 13/2/2018 10:03

Love Lamela, he's the sort of player the opposition hate

A few of our own hate him as well. Didn't go against le arse, but went against Newport and ended up giving some 'Spurs' fans a real mouthful as their continuous non-stop venom about him started to piss me off.

They shut up after.

What I like about Lamela...when he hits the pitch he gives it all. It may be misguided sometimes, picks up a few too many Yellows on harsh tackles, but hey the dude is trying hard.

And he will ATTACK relentlessly and God knows we need that sometimes. The other team must account for him and that relieves the pressure on others.

Like the lad or not we look better with him in the side at the moment. We look more dangerous in the final third of the pitch.

I think he was fantastic last night, tracked back made chances if he lost the ball he went straight and won it back left everything on the pitch and fought for the duration can’t ask for more than that.

Spursex - 13/2/2018 11:58

A few of our own hate him as well. Didn't go against le arse, but went against Newport and ended up giving some 'Spurs' fans a real mouthful as their continuous non-stop venom about him started to piss me off.

They shut up after.

Surprised anyone bar Richmond would be criticising him at that game. He was pretty unanimously motm.

Seen on the Spurs FB they've done a motm poll Vs Juventus which Dembélé is crushing atm but a lot of people commenting that they're shocked Lamela isn't one of the options.

He wasn't motm for me last night but another solid performance. Seems to be returning to form just as Sonny is going off the boil, great timing. Going to be an interesting battle between those 2 and Moura for the spots in the run in - the kind of competition that could really benefit our results.

freundorfoe - 14/2/2018 11:19

Spursex - 13/2/2018 11:58

They shut up after.

Surprised anyone bar Richmond would be criticising him at that game. He was pretty unanimously motm.

Seen on the Spurs FB they've done a motm poll Vs Juventus which Dembélé is crushing atm but a lot of people commenting that they're shocked Lamela isn't one of the options.

He wasn't motm for me last night but another solid performance. Seems to be returning to form just as Sonny is going off the boil, great timing. Going to be an interesting battle between those 2 and Moura for the spots in the run in - the kind of competition that could really benefit our results.

I really didn't think he warranted any special mention as he frustrated me too many times to mention last night, I thought that he gave the ball away when he shouldn't have and his constant cutting inside into a traffic jam when he could have gone wide into space - was driving me nuts at one point.

Thought his work rate was good and he is clearly getting fitter, maybe I'm being over-harsh, but I think he just had a fairly average game, not exceptional.

There are other stats of course; but these are the headline ones:

16/17 total playing mins = 593, started in 11 games, sub 3 times 1 goal, 1 assist
17/18 total playing mins = 832 started in 11 games sub 18 times 2 goals 4 assists
18/19 total playing time = 894 started in 11 games sub 10 times 4 goals 2 assists

Total playing time over three seasons = 2,319

Total playing time mins in PL over three seasons = 10,260 mins

Played in only 23% of available mins.

The problem is of course, we've given him a contract until 2022 and I can't see anyone rushing to sign him with and injury record like that.

So are we just stuck with him, or should we get rid at any cost?

or

would you prefer to keep him despite his playing record?

Last edited:
Travelled up to Spurs for the West Ham game and my mate who was was recalling a Lamela story. Apparently his mate who works for Mace was chatting to Cliff Jones in the Club Wembley hospitality and asked him "who's the best player at Spurs". Cliff Jones said "That's easy. It's Erik Lamela. You should see the things he does on the training ground. Problem is he has a mental block every time he crosses the white line"

Made me laugh that a club legend would say something like that, if indeed he did. Does seem a fair comment on Lamela though.

For me, it's game over for Lamela at this stage. What I would say though is that we got top 4 this season and last because we had 5 attacking midfielders. The second half of last season and the first half of this were so much better because we had 5 different options. That coincided with Lamela getting fit and Moura joining and adding to Dele, Eriksen and Son. Some games we could start with 3 and have 2 on the bench. Other games, we started 4 and still had one to come on.

Now our reality is that Son has given up being an AM. He's a striker and mostly plays like one. Eriksen has been deployed mostly in CM and Dele has lost his mojo. With Lamela injured and Moura in and out, what was our strength has become a weakness again. I'm fine for Eriksen, Lamela to leave and Son to replace Llorente's role. We still need 2 more AM's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.