🚹 Eric Dier - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

🚹 Eric Dier - Player Thread

pjones40 - 24/2/2017 09:46

I am losing patience with him. He is a poor cb and not good enough to push Victor and Dembele out of cm.

Out of interest, when was the last time you saw him play DM in our best 11 that you reached this conclusion?

By the way, neither Dier nor Wanyama are CMs, so not sure where either pushing Dembele comes from.

When he was a DM/CB last season we have to remember he didn't have the responsibility of a CB. He was essentially back up CB Sweeper, without the decision making. That way he focused on what he is good at. Winning the ball in front of the back line and using his vision to set up an attack.

Poch is an idiot for keep playing him at CB.

Poch has royally messed up here. He has ruined the most promising DM in England and at the same time has discarded Wimmer who last season was a very good LCB.

Great Management NOT.

Dier, alli and dembo last season were quality for the most part.

Alli and dier have really good chemistry on and off the field they work well together, Its no coincidence alli hasnt been at his best like he was last season. The problem is poch likes what wanyama gives to the team so dier wont get the chance to go back to DM.

What a differenc a DM makes. He belongs at DM. As a starter.

pjones40 - 24/2/2017 09:46

I am losing patience with him. He is a poor cb and not good enough to push Victor and Dembele out of cm.

Silly, he is just as good as wanyama and is getting better. I think poch is missing out on him not playing DM but as long as hes still in the team then im fine with it. I would hate to see him on the bench after last season.

Not had an amazing season but he's played majority of games as a CB in the best defence in the league so think some criticisms are way ott

He's still young for a defender and if he irons out the rare errors I'm happy with him at RCB.

I think Dier, who is being chastised in some quarters, is struggling because he isn't playing with anyone consistently. He has had to patch up holes due to injury and suspension.

80deg16minW - 3/1/2018 15:27

I think Dier, who is being chastised in some quarters, is struggling because he isn't playing with anyone consistently. He has had to patch up holes due to injury and suspension.

Dier is struggling because he needs to get his own house in order, better passing, ball control, awareness and reading of the game, are areas where he can improve. Others have to patch up holes due to errors & poor levels of concentration in Dier’s game.

RichmondSpur - 3/1/2018 17:46

Dier is struggling because he needs to get his own house in order, better passing, ball control, awareness and reading of the game, are areas where he can improve. Others have to patch up holes due to errors & poor levels of concentration in Dier’s game.

I disagree. Dier is what he is. To get the best out of him he needs a consistent partner and environment to operate in. He has attributes including speed, toughness and, when surrounded by known quantities the ability to organize.

I do agree he needs to improve certain skills but that is a development/time issue.

We need to base our approach on what we have. Not what we wish we had.

80deg16minW - 3/1/2018 17:54

RichmondSpur - 3/1/2018 17:46

I disagree. Dier is what he is. To get the best out of him he needs a consistent partner and environment to operate in. He has attributes including speed, toughness and, when surrounded by known quantities the ability to organize.

I do agree he needs to improve certain skills but that is a development/time issue.

We need to base our approach on what we have. Not what we wish we had.

What Dier needs (in addition to the other identified areas) is to also cut out the sloppiness and do better in the environment he operates in. What we have is Victor Wanyama, the best DM in the league. Dier would do well to adopt some of the principles from Victor’s quality manual.

Yes he would. But if it was that easy everyone would be as good as Wanyama. And football would be boring. And either you or I would be the best football manager in the world. Probably me.

If all spurs players were fit Dier wouldn't get in the best 11. Dier is a good squad player, however, he has to improve to be a nailed on starter.

80deg16minW - 3/1/2018 20:45

Yes he would. But if it was that easy everyone would be as good as Wanyama. And football would be boring. And either you or I would be the best football manager in the world. Probably me.

But it is that easy to too many Spurs supporters the main evidence being one hoddlesque pass in 20 attempts. Bless them. Do you fall into that category too!

Is Dier slowly going backwards as a player after bursting onto the scene?

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7524107">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

He's played 22 times and is struggling for opportunities?

Of course the gut feeling is that Dier is 2nd choice DM after Wanyama but Poch hasn't necessarily ever settled on that has he? We've pretty much always had an injury at DM or CB (and occasionally RB) so he's played pretty consistently since he joined us.

Thought he was very good Vs Everton and had some very decent games at DM and CB as well as a couple dodgy ones. Still think he'd make a very good CB in a settled defence but he's always moved around and played with different players around him. He's already been consistently very good at DM though so makes sense for that to be his position, and according to Poch's book that's what Dier thinks himself.

He's definitely partnered both. Not a fan of Dier / Wanyama partnership personally though and don't think Poch would do it too often unless forced either.

freundorfoe - 17/1/2018 14:47

He's definitely partnered both. Not a fan of Dier / Wanyama partnership personally though and don't think Poch would do it too often unless forced either.

If those two could figure out a way to work together we'd be in very good shape.

Perhaps too many similarities in which Wanyama is the superior in the majority.

A Wanyama Dier combo would be awesome for us but the middle of the season is not the time to be tinkering . If it's forced on us , so be it .
We are so lucky to have such a young , talented adaptable player in our team . Mid field is almost certainly his preferred position , .I am guessing. He has won all his England caps playing there and has a lot of influential admirers in this position . I am pretty certain he would not have been pressing for a centre back position at Man U.
How many of the top teams in the top leagues have a player than can step in at right back , centre back , and midfield and do a decent job against quality opposition ..
( possibly David Luiz ) ?

Going backwards . I don't think so.