England Goalkeeper | Vital Football

England Goalkeeper

Vambogills

Vital Football Hero
Is Joe Hart's time at an end? Has he got past his 'blunders' period? Seems odd to have 4 keepers in the frame. Nick Pope of Burnley getting the headlines but Jordan Pickford and Jack Butland equally look good enough. I like Jack Butland as a good positive keeper with great positional sense and a top shot stopper. Who would get your vote?

It's strange how Hart's club form has dipped so alarmingly, but he's never really let England down, has he? If Southgate decides to axe him I would go for Pickford.

Don't think there is any stand out candidate.

Hart is not playing regularly and has had a nightmare at the last two tournaments, but has experience at international level.

Butland and Pickford are both playing regularly for their clubs but have not been in the best of form and have limited international experience.

Pope is playing regularly, is in form but has Zero international experience.

Think whichever way Southgate goes its going to be gamble. If he sticks to what he said about players needing to be playing and in form then Pope should be first choice, but I somehow doubt he will start our first game in Russia.

I'd personally go for Pickford to be first choice in Russia but I reckon Butland might get the nod.

IMO Hart has been p#ss poor in the last few tournaments. Let in goals v Iceland and the Sweaties that a decent international shouldn't.

A bit like Nelson towards the end of his Gills days, plenty of chest beating but past it and too many errors.

In any event, please let's have some new players in the tournament. The "stars" have been sh#t for the last 20 years.

Livermore!!! FFS.

Stuart Nelson is England's No1 obviously.

Saved a penalty for Yeovil away at Col Ewe at the weekend to keep a clean sheet and give them a 1-0 win.

I'd go for Pickford. Great shot stopper and knows his way around the 16 yard box. Distribution as good as Beckham too which is a massive advantage

I think Joe Hart has been very average for a long time including the last two major tournaments, and has made some really bad positional/handling errors. I don't think it's a case of being past it, as we all know keepers can continue to perform at the top level up until late 30's, maybe even early 40's in some case, if you have the skill and the mentality to do so. Joe Hart is a presence, and on his day can be a great shot stopper, but positionally I pull my hair out watching him at times.. I was at the away game against the jocks in June last year, and his positioning for both of Griffiths free kicks were shocking. I said to my mate I was with 'this is going in' on both occasions before the ball had been kicked. And arguably worse than that (just because how far it was out) the Bale free kick at the euros.. just stand in the middle of the goal ffs! Why any keeper stands right over to one side at free kicks up against quality players is beyond me, it's just asking for trouble.

So anyway, Butland for me at this moment in time.. I like Pickford, but I think he needs another season or two behind him to help improve his decision making in certain key situations, and Pope I haven't seen much of. I'm going to reserve judgement though until after I have seen them all in action at the 4 forthcoming friendlies before Russia.