England cricket team - pathetic (n/g). | Vital Football

England cricket team - pathetic (n/g).

If they played someone of the ability of the West Indies in the 80's I reckon they'd struggle to get double figures.

The obsession with limited overs cricket doesn't help.

Smith (the Aussie) showed them how to bat in a test match, and Williamson in this game.

Utterly woeful.

The way test cricket of the last few years is being dominated by home sides is the biggest threat on the game IMO. England will now lose this test, and probably lose or draw the second, losing the series.

It's Pakistan (2 tests) and India (5 tests) this summer at home, and I'd be surprised if we don't win both series with the ball swinging around on green seamers

MedwayModernist - 22/3/2018 10:34

Utterly woeful.

The way test cricket of the last few years is being dominated by home sides is the biggest threat on the game IMO. England will now lose this test, and probably lose or draw the second, losing the series.

It's Pakistan (2 tests) and India (5 tests) this summer at home, and I'd be surprised if we don't win both series with the ball swinging around on green seamers

This.

Our Test home record continues to be as impressive as our away form is pathetic (apart from the win in South Africa a couple of years back).

Groundsmen prepare tracks to suit the home nation and they also choose the ball that most suits their own bowlers (during the Ashes, it is the Duke ball in this country and Kookaburra in Australia I think) so it is a double advantage.

The disparity with the sub continent is even larger. Kohli rules on Indian tracks but struggles to make a run over here. The Indian spinners are nigh on unplayable at times in their own country but largely negated when they play here.

However, I did hear that the venues we have chosen for the next home Ashes series are not those where we have the best records. Typical of us to not even get that right !

Problem is that our climate and atmosphere suit seam, swing and reverse swing but not pace or spin so we will always struggle to produce high quality pace bowlers and off spinners.

MedwayModernist - 22/3/2018 10:34

Utterly woeful.

This.

Our Test home record continues to be as impressive as our away form is pathetic (apart from the win in South Africa a couple of years back).

Groundsmen prepare tracks to suit the home nation and they also choose the ball that most suits their own bowlers (during the Ashes, it is the Duke ball in this country and Kookaburra in Australia I think) so it is a double advantage.

The disparity with the sub continent is even larger. Kohli rules on Indian tracks but struggles to make a run over here. The Indian spinners are nigh on unplayable at times in their own country but largely negated when they play here.

However, I did hear that the venues we have chosen for the next home Ashes series are not those where we have the best records. Typical of us to not even get that right !

Problem is that our climate and atmosphere suit seam, swing and reverse swing but not pace or spin so we will always struggle to produce high quality pace bowlers and off spinners.

SurreyBOB - 22/3/2018 14:59

Bring back David Steele! (and Alan Knott)

Don't forget (Deadly) Derek Underwood

I heard Paddy Power giving out the odds for this test on the radio last night, can't remember the figures but gave us as massive favourites. Nearly spat out my tea laughing :59:

Even though England were pathetic at least they haven't taken to cheating like the Aussies. Disgusting behaviour by Bancroft and the captain Smith, hopefully both will get some sort of ban. If anyone hasn't seen the TV footage, Bancroft uses a sticky tape to scuff the ball then hides it in his pants when he's been rumbled, all with the blessing of the captain.

ME7_Gills - 25/3/2018 12:13

Even though England were pathetic at least they haven't taken to cheating like the Aussies. Disgusting behaviour by Bancroft and the captain Smith, hopefully both will get some sort of ban. If anyone hasn't seen the TV footage, Bancroft uses a sticky tape to scuff the ball then hides it in his pants when he's been rumbled, all with the blessing of the captain.

The Aussies have always had stuff like that in them. Warner in particular is a very nasty piece of work who has been banned and reprimanded numerous times and yet they still made him vice captain !

They seem to think that they can spout all sorts of filth at opposition players and just call it sledging but as soon as De Kock gave him some back, Warner bleats that what he said crossed the line.

Problem is, they think they have the right to decide where "the line" is.

Stones and glass houses come to mind.

SurreyBOB - 22/3/2018 18:13

I omitted to mention Deadly Derek Nobby because even he needed a few more runs to work with (plus a drying wicket) in order to bowl the opposition out for less than England's first innings total. That would have required the late Jim Laker.

Fair enough Bob but IMO he was one of THE most accurate spin bowlers ever. Wouldn't end up with a test bowling average of less than 26 bowling spin if he wasn't
He was a particular hero of mine as I was a spin bowler for my school team so I guess I'm biased though.
I was lucky enough to meet him a few times, one of which was a Sunday league match at Moat Park. I was getting his autograph when Charlie Rowe walked past and said hi (he coached cricket at my school and recognised me) once Deadly realised we knew each other, he invited me into the Kent dressing room where he passed my autograph book round the whole team. Knott, Iqbal and Tavare included
That memory will stay with me for ever. What a gent.

GillsBluenose - 25/3/2018 12:34

ME7_Gills - 25/3/2018 12:13

Even though England were pathetic at least they haven't taken to cheating like the Aussies.

The Aussies have always had stuff like that in them. Warner in particular is a very nasty piece of work

Stones and glass houses come to mind.

All very true. But remember Atherton & Trescothick? We haven't been covered in glory either.

I doubt Smith and Warner will see the Aussie captaincy again. Personally I think they shouldn't see the baggy green again. Caught red-handed. Lehmann too.

As for the sledging, Warner is the nastiest piece of work in a whole team of nasty pieces of work. It is in the culture in sporting teams over here. But they squeal and whine like nothing when it comes back in spades.

Loved county cricket back then, I'm not sure when central contracts took their current form but the top international players always seemed to be available for their county in those days. Probably a case of rose coloured specs but it wasn't unusual to see the names above playing at Maidstone and Canterbury.

Perhaps I should confess now that at Maidstone, we used to get in through a hole in the fence so never paid. :86:

Underwood is/was my cricket hero.

Hilarious that the Aussies are whinging about abuse from the crowd. Pot and kettle.

Rather be all out for 58 than be an Aussie cricketer.

Feel a tiny bit sorry for Bancroft. Smith and Warner a disgrace.

Ps I'm shocked at your confession above Nobby. I thought you'd never committed a crime (as per previous posts/subject).

Just teasing btw. Not a serious "pop" at you.

SurreyBOB - 25/3/2018 13:27
I've got fond memories of watching Kent v Somerset one day games in the late seventies / early eighties Nobby. Garner, Botham, Richards, Asif Iqbal, Knott, Underwood and Woolmer Being brought up in Wiltshire everyone supported Swindon Town and Somerset CCC whereas I was a Gillingham FC and Kent CCC supporter.

Kent v Somerset was the cricket version of Swindon v Gillingham at the time.
Remember watching a Kent v Somerset one dayer at Maidstone. Kent won because Somerset needed a six off the last ball but it fell just short IIRC.

I went to MGS and we used to finish school and nip across the road to watch the last couple of hours cricket for free then hang about to get autographs. Colin Cowdrey used to make us carry his bag to his car - used to take two of us to struggle with it.