Energy Costs | Vital Football

Energy Costs

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
I think this is going to be a big subject. I am already looking into energy savings. I was offered Sky PL Football at 18 quid a month....I can't justify it especially with Spursplay now.

One tip I heard was to cook in batches, don't turn the oven on for one meal like a pizza.

Heat the person not the house. Thermal clothing, electric blankets etc.

Don't use the tumble dryer.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

I already regard an oven cooked meal as a rare treat, my shop now concentrates on microwavable meals like pasta dishes and curry with rice, it's so much cheaper than putting the oven on for a single portion meal. I've always done batch cooking for things like bolognase and chilli con carne (done on the hob) where eat one portion and freeze two.

I'm dreading the winter, trying to keep myself warm on a pretty basic pension income is going to be very difficult, even with the £400 handout. I don't qualify for any additional help because I have some modest savings (from working two years beyond my official retirement date) which I regard as my safety net. If the energy crisis goes on I could see this wiped out very quickly.

The whole system is broken, we are having to pay stupid money for a product giving the producers eye watering profits which are then being taxed to provide support to help pay the stupid prices. The whole energy market is rigged, it's really only the boycotting of Russian gas in the main that has cause that market to go crazy so that's understandable, what I don't get is why electricity that we produce here is also going up at a similar rate when so little of our UK electricity is gas generated.

When the cap goes up an electric oven might cost a quid an hour to run. Factor in getting it up to temp. 2.5 hours cooking time is £ 2.50.

I'm quite a low user but last winter before the price cap increase my total gas and electricity consumption was just over £2 per day, it's now about £2.50 a day with no heating, and little light usage due to the long days. I've no idea how much will be added when it gets cold and the price cap increases just in time for winter.

Picked up a Breville One Cup Water Boiler today. Efficient boiling of water said to save significant electricity. They are 60 odd quid which would take some time to recoup in the house. But in an office or similar it would pay for itself in months. Mine only cost £ 7.50 so shouldn't take too long.