Elmander and Beechio | Vital Football

Elmander and Beechio

yellow belly

Vital Football Legend
The Swedish Grant Holt got a few ironic cheers today , and he doesnt look good enough to me , despite his assist in Hoopers wondergoal . Why doesnt Hugh start with Beechio and give the lad a chance instaed of keep playing a loan player ? :idiot:

Because Becchio is pants.Elmander was easily better today, I actually thought he linked up with Hoops alright

I dunno where the becchio love in has eminated from. Whenever I've seen him he's nothing more than Championship standard at best.

Can't wait to see RVW and Hoops play together already tho!!!!

I haven't seen Becchio play long enough to assess his worth. He seemed to be playing on the wing today and was outplayed most of the time. It didn't look like a role he was comfortable with.

You are probably absolutely right about Becchio; I haven't seen anything yet to convince me that he has something worth pursuing.

I just remember Gareth Bale starting as Left Back and not impressing until Harry Redknapp tried him on the wing. It seems to me that Becchio would perform better more in a Hooper-like role than the way he is being used.

Clearly, Hooper is a better performer in a Hooper-like role than Becchio so maybe he is superfluous (sorry but right word).

On the other hand, if Hooper picks up a knock, who replaces him?

RVW is quite different and soon, I hope, we will see how they complement each other with devastating effect.

Elmander is more a provider, shaker and mover; his assist today was exactly how I would expect him to contribute.

But Hooper is Hooper. Far more than I anticipated thank goodness but the only one in the squad that could vaguely do the same job may well be Becchio.

I would like to see him trialled in that role before we dump him.

Here is the catch though..how would we trial him..at whos expense..I am sure it has been done many times at Colney of course...And your summing up of Elmander is spot on.

Elmander played as a target man who could hardly win a header, control the ball or run down the constant defensive passing.

Again, I am sure you are right ffl. It is probably my pedantry that wants to explore the thing exhaustively before we pass him on to someone else who then gets out of him something we hadn't tried.

I don't see Elmander as a conventional target man but as an alternative assist to Leroy to confuse the opposition. I am of the opinion that tactics are in flux and that traditional positional play has had its day.

Many of the goals scored have arisen through unconventional routes.

And creating the opportunities by harassing - we've been caught like that and we've started to do the same and its paid off in getting back possession.

Look at the positives from Elmanders contribution today...he set up Hooper..and also for Hoopers effort in the second half that produced a super save to keep it out...he hustled and bustled himself about today.

agreed but we need RVW back asap as elmander is doing an adequate job which ultimately is not good enough for us.

I don't see the point of spending millions on another top class striker who just warms the bench, as Beccio is doing. Sure we need the Wolf back but the other two are the back up players. How long would either Hoops or the Wolf stay if another player stepped in and took their place, and why would another guy come in with those two firing on all cylinders. Don't forget that although he is only a youngster we also have Murphy in the wings. I think this is a far more complicated situation than simply hiring and firing.

I would much rather we spent our cash on another decent central defender because I think we may, at last, have solved our strike force situation.

Agree Malta, surely next signing has to be a another class CB. Bassong is nowhere near as consistent as last season so we need some serious back up. Looked so half hearted how he tried to keep Dyer out yesterday, I just wonder about his fitness still.

If Elmander can get a start then surely Becchio can. Maybe Hooper links up better with Elmander I dunno, at least Becchio is getting a bit of game time now though. Still 15 mins here and there isn't enough to get into a game.

Hooper prefers the pairing of him and Elmander.....Bechio will remain part of the squad but I think we can expect him to move on.