Eli Mangala - The Comeback Kid? | Vital Football

Eli Mangala - The Comeback Kid?

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
I still think this lad could go far in the game. He's back in town:

"I’m lucky to have spent a month with Pep,” Mangala told L’Equipe, “I can tell you that I progressed more, especially tactically and with my pressing, in a month than in two years previously.”

My view of Eli Mangala is the same as Nicolás Otamendi without Kompany steadying the ship they are mediocre defenders at best.

I agree CT they both need a leader, but Magala occasionally showed the class why we bought him, he is however another City player maligned wrongly by the media, I think he would be an asset.

Some players struggle to adapt. With Nic Otamendi it is the shape of the pitches that continue to catch him out and even a player as experienced as Claudo Bravo has been confused by the larger goals used in English football when compared with the width between jumpers in Spanish parks. Also having a crossbar rather than just yelling 'out' (in Spanish, obviously) whenever the ball went over head height can't have helped.

Mangala should have been a commanding presence in our back four/three/whatever. He has been a rock, but the wrong sort of rock - more Rock of Gibralter, the immovable object rubbing shoulders with Spain rather than the lithe, energetic racehorse of the same name.

I fear Chippy Tea may well be right.

If we get rid of too many players then we may struggle to hit the ground running and that would give the media the ammo to stick the boot in, especially as they believe that United will win the title.

I cannot believe Willy is on his way i think he has performed well when given a chance and considering how the players just in front of him performed most of the season.

Willy's departure is a disappointment. I thought he might stay. Mangala may be worth another shake but I too am concerned that too radical an overhaul at the back could bring problems

Willy did alright didn't he.
A lot of the pressure put on Bravo's shoulders by the media and some of our "supporters " could easily have affected big Willy so all in all he did really well to ignore it all and get on with the job.
Admire him for that.

Chippy_Tea - 25/5/2017 19:53

I cannot believe Willy is on his way i think he has performed well when given a chance and considering how the players just in front of him performed most of the season.
Willy has done OK, but we must have a new #1comong, which is fantastic and Bravo will be the backup, so we don't need big Willy.

Willy has been ok but possibly made to 'look' good when compared to how Bravo has been perceived.

However, remember how the thought of WC in goal in place of Hart had some sections (me included) fearing the worst and watching from 'behind the sofa'.

Willy is ok but not quite the mutts cojones that are required.

I'd keep Mangala, willy deserves1st team football, and it was unlikely he would get many games with us, and he deserves much better than a bit part player, Bravo, will come good, you don't get to play and captain your country if your not any good, Bravo just needs to adapt to the English game and it's pace, but he hasn't had much help in front of him, with the Centre halves changing regularly, that is one of the most important parts of the teams 'Spine' ... look how come posed the defence was with Vinnie's back.... and if he plays the majority of games next yr, watch Bravo improve immensely.... but if the stories are true, I am excited about the lad Silva, from Monaco.... it could be 2 pieces of Silva pulling the strings.... :001:

cityman51 - 27/5/2017 05:26

I'd keep Mangala, willy deserves1st team football, and it was unlikely he would get many games with us, and he deserves much better than a bit part player, Bravo, will come good, you don't get to play and captain your country if your not any good, Bravo just needs to adapt to the English game and it's pace, but he hasn't had much help in front of him, with the Centre halves changing regularly, that is one of the most important parts of the teams 'Spine' ... look how come posed the defence was with Vinnie's back.... and if he plays the majority of games next yr, watch Bravo improve immensely.... but if the stories are true, I am excited about the lad Silva, from Monaco.... it could be 2 pieces of Silva pulling the strings.... :001:

Two "florin" players then. :008:

Bernardo Silva appears to have been given Mangala's shirt number (20).

Either this means he is on his way out.......or he is being given a different number. Bit odd though

Skoorb - 28/5/2017 07:32

Either this means he is on his way out.......or he is being given a different number. Bit odd though
It means the Mangler is gone, Pep has decided.

johnkelv - 28/5/2017 09:45

Skoorb - 28/5/2017 07:32

It means the Mangler is gone, Pep has decided.

The #5 shirt is available. Sadly.

Maybe an upgrade for Stones?