Ehmer Signs | Vital Football

Ehmer Signs

If renewing MH is the standard of players for next season i wonder what the actual ambition is.
I thought a better player would be signed and he'd move on.

Better player? In what way? He has been an ever present in the 8 home games we have won out of the last 9. He played all three games against the EPL teams and wasn't exactly taken to the cleaners. Plus, defence has not been our problem, even in the early season.

Even if we secure Masterson, we will need other strong no nonsense defenders as it is that sort of division. What defenders have we played against that clearly looked a class above him?

IF he's going to be 1st choice with A N Other i think the clubs aims are definitely not automatic promotion.

If he's sub that's less worrying.

I was hoping close season we would see a lot of the old squad "cleared out."

He played in the team that was bottom at xmas so must be partly responsible.

I think the defence is where i would like to see the most strengthening done.

All good teams start with a good back 5.

Maybe1 or 2 new goalkeepers would be a good idea too (depending on where the club is aiming).

IF he's going to be 1st choice with A N Other i think the clubs aims are definitely not automatic promotion.

Maybe1 or 2 new goalkeepers would be a good idea too (depending on where the club is aiming).

You are in the minority WX but you seem to be disillusioned with just about everything about the club at the moment. Since christmas his defensive record has been superb and is a big part of why we will avoid relegation. Of course his critics who scapegoat him when we lose will only recall the very rare slips that resulted in conceded goals, not the 100s of tackles, blocks and headers that kept clean sheets and points gained.

If renewing MH is the standard of players for next season i wonder what the actual ambition is.

I thought a better player would be signed and he'd move on.

People aren't 'dropping' their H's when referring to Ehmer. ;)

I'm pleased that Max has ben given another contract but can't see it being for more than one year.

He's been one of our most consistent performers all season and being part of a defence that only conceded 28 goals in 23 games - when the team had no decent midfielders or attackers and only managed to score 7 - is pretty impressive.

To be fair to WX, I remember watching us beat Southend 3-0 near the end of the 2009-10 season and they had a centre back who was bald and slow and had an absolute mare. I thought what a carthorse he looked like.

I could not believe it when two seasons later Mad Dog signed a player called Adam Barrett - same player two years on and by then 32. I thought, if that is the standard of our signings, we are really going to struggle.

What do I know?

I agree Max has limitations but this is L2, and probably his level. Our defending hasn’t really been an issue this season and if him and Masterson are our centre backs next season, I don’t see that being a reason why we can’t get promoted.

Congratulations to Max perhaps it might signal a few more contracts are on offer. On the other side to that is that players may well know earlier if they are going to be released. That can be a positive for them too .Having a few extra weeks to negotiate a deal elsewhere can be vital.
On the back of this I have a feeling Wright may well be departing .Especially if we have other alternatives for centre back and right back offered deals.

Chuffed to bits with that news. A bit short on pace but a good solid defender and great club servant.
I think he was unfairly criticised early in the season when often badly exposed by the failings of others.
I feel another glass of whisky raised in his honour will be appropriate when he takes to the pitch tomorrow

Mixed feelings. I'm on the record as saying a few years ago we would never get promoted with Max in the defence: he could be guaranteed to lose his man once or twice a game at inopportune moments. But that was in League One. Maybe at this level the strikers aren't as able to create the space, although I'm not looking forward to him being matched up against Andy Cook in a couple of weeks.

My concern is that having Masterson (whose presence is not guaranteed past May) alongside him makes him look better than he really is, and his lack of pace could be exposed if (a big IF, admitted) we play a more attacking style next year.

Harris spoke about Max on Radio Kent the other day and said he is a great influence on the other lads.
He never gets too up when we win and never gets too down when we lose.
A good level headed pro who is good to have around the place.
As has been said already on here, in League Two you need defenders who know their first job is to defend.
The likes of Barrett, Legge, Shaw and Weatherley spring to mind.
Good to see the club sorting out deals early.