Efl games off till April 4th | Vital Football

Efl games off till April 4th

Think it will last beyond April 4th somehow, implications how the season will finish, if it does, relegation / promotion etc . Some things in life are more important than that. Good job we have the season ticket money in the Bank, other Clubs could be in big trouble. I am sure the Premiership will donate lots of money to the lower Leagues and their players take a pay cut to help :rolleyes: !!

Does this also mean that to preserve the close season we have a delayed start to next?

Will they alter the transfer windows?

I bet Tranmere are annoyed as they were on a wave of good form!

I think we should be okay financially but teams like Southend and Macclesfield have got to be worried. I wonder if some clubs have insurance policies to cover such eventualities??

I think it's the right decision. Everyone's safety and well-being must come before football.

But now that it's come to this, there must be a real risk of this season never being completed

See where we stand come April I suppose. See if I've still got a pension left!!

Does this also mean that to preserve the close season we have a delayed start to next?

Will they alter the transfer windows?

I bet Tranmere are annoyed as they were on a wave of good form!
Wouldn't surprise me if this season ends up getting written off. Talking yesterday of the virus not peaking for 10 to 12 weeks so can't see any resumption till then, that's June!

The good news with the early season ticket sales we have a financial buffer which other clubs will not have.

My take on this that this would have been used to cover the cash shortfall for the remainder of the season, even with a full set of home fixtures .You will then will have to add a potential revenue hit on top of this.Considering it would,IMO,be very doubtful that these fixtures will be completed after 4th April the loss of match day income from these fixtures would be permanent.And you can add to that potential partial season ticket and commercial package refunds. I don't know if any Insurance claim will mitigate this.

And it is worth pointing out that this early season ticket money should really be used for next season

How will the season end? Will fixtures get completed? As these are exceptional circumstances could the season already be over, with promotion and relegation as the table is now? Could the season be lost altogether? If so do Bolton start on -12 for whenever the next season begins? Other than war are there any precedents?

I suspect the EFL/FA will have to provide interest free loans to cover the period.

Its one thing doing a Bury but this not the fault of any of the clubs

If the season resumes on the 3rd of April it can be played out but if they are being sensible they should extend it by a week and make the play offs a one legged affair. That will allow for the full 3 weekend schedules postponed to be played up to the 9th/10th May and other already scheduled and re-scheduled matches to be fitted around that and the Easter programme.
If is doesn't resume they will struggle. Players will be out of contract before games could be played. If it gets written off there could be legal challenges. Bolton would stay with us in L1 and start next season level with everyone else. We'd still have the 23 team league problem. Chaos

Last edited:
Leaving aside the financial implications of clubs not being able to play any more matches, if the season has to be abandoned I can think of two alternatives:

1. League tables to stand as they are now with promotion and relegation as per current positions. But that would be unfair on clubs currently just outside the promotion positions.

2. League tables to stand as they now but with no promotion or relegation to take place. Which would be unfair on those clubs currently in the promotion places.

There are two possible precedents for the current situation:

1. The outbreak of World War ll which caused the 1939/40 season to be abandoned. The difference of course was that only three games had been played when that happened.

2. The Big Freeze season of 1962/63 when hardly any games were played in the months of January and February (City played two). This caused the season to extended well into May, with the FA Cup Final on 25th May. City's last game took place on 18th May.

I suppose the hope is this is what will be possible again.