Duffy | Vital Football

Duffy

Hi Guys,

For me Duffy should be starting most games, we seem to create much more with him on the pitch. Some don’t seem to share my opinion, had Blades saying ‘he’s not all that’ when I’ve asked why CW would leave him on the bench.

I thought we were much better at Middlesbrough when he came in and also today we had more going forward. How does everyone else see Duffy?.

UTB

I couldn't agree more. I think Duffy adds more value than what fans give him credit for. I understand that CW is bringing in a midfielder next week. I hope it isn't to replace Duffy now he has his place back

I couldn't agree more. I think Duffy adds more value than what fans give him credit for. I understand that CW is bringing in a midfielder next week. I hope it isn't to replace Duffy now he has his place back

Would more likely to cover for Coutts if and when he is out (but back first ;) )

We always look better when Duffy is on the pitch it's just a pity he can't do 90 mins we deffo need a replacement for him i don't know if woodburn is a replacement for him or Brooks Liverpool fans say he's a no 10 type

I think Woodburn is a replacement for Brooks to be honest. I do think we need one more quality striker and possibly a LWB. I like Stevens, his distribution is good but I somehow think we can find better elsewhere.

Hi Guys,

For me Duffy should be starting most games, we seem to create much more with him on the pitch. Some don’t seem to share my opinion, had Blades saying ‘he’s not all that’ when I’ve asked why CW would leave him on the bench.

I thought we were much better at Middlesbrough when he came in and also today we had more going forward. How does everyone else see Duffy?.

UTB

We always seem to create more when Duff is playing. But, for some reason CW seems to take any opportunity to try someone or something different to leave him out. I trust CW 100% and he will have valid reason but, from what little I know Duffy starts every game for Me.
When everyone is fit my team sheet is Coutts, Duffy and 9 others.

I know what you mean. On his day he and Fleck are our best midfielders but like you said CW seems to find ways to leave him out. I think that may be because these days he rarely can last 90 minutes and in pre-match planning you have to work out all eventualities and what you would do in each scenario. If United were 1-0 in second half with 30 mins left I'm sure CW would have acted on it and brought someone on - rather than do nothing because they took the lead after 30 minutes etc.

Duffy can be useful as a substitute and come on to replace tired legs or when we are behind to create more. I'm sure if he could last 90 minutes he'd be starting every game.

I think the vast majority of fans know what Duffy brings and so does wilder because he kept Brooks out of the team. The only reason I think he’s used sparingly could be his type of game cannot be played for 90 mins by a bloke of his age

I think the vast majority of fans know what Duffy brings and so does wilder because he kept Brooks out of the team. The only reason I think he’s used sparingly could be his type of game cannot be played for 90 mins by a bloke of his age
Fair point, although Brooks was young and still learning his trade as an Academy player but even he too couldn't do 90 minutes due to illness.

The Duffmiester has been my favourite player since the first game he played for us. I’d always start him if he’s fit.

Looking back I remember having to defend him to one or two posters, UCDM in particular didn’t rate him. I’ve no idea why.

The Duffmiester has been my favourite player since the first game he played for us. I’d always start him if he’s fit.

Looking back I remember having to defend him to one or two posters, UCDM in particular didn’t rate him. I’ve no idea why.
When COUTTSY had his leg broken at Burton,it wasn't just him we were missin we were missin a third of our Magic triangle of a midfield 3.Mek no mistake if FLECKY or DUFFY had broken their leg, the impact wudda been just as dramatic in my view.I sit near someone who sez Duffy giz the ball away too much but i tell em that's cos he's usually lookin to play the killer pass.Ya can tell wor a good player the DUFFmeister is cos even Blockmod Benny sez he's a gud un.;) UTCB

Last edited:
When COUTTSY had his leg broken at Burton,it wasn't just him we were missin we were missin a third of our Magic triangle of a midfield 3.Mek no mistake if FLECKY or DUFFY had broken their leg, the impact wudda been just as dramatic in my view.I sit near someone who sez Duffy giz the ball away too much but i tell em that's cos he's usually lookin to play the killer pass.Ya can tell wor a good player the DUFFmeister is cos even Blockermod Benny sez he's a gud un.;) UTCB
That’s what I used to say Rod,

I thought tha was TT with ya new avatar UTB

That’s what I used to say Rod,

I thought tha was TT with ya new avatar UTB
I had this avator on BM but TT claimed it was his first,so bein the luvly fella that i am, i changed my avator to the best 2 number 10's ever to play the game PELE and the greatest number 10, GOD.Shortly after i let TT have this maestro one he started callin thick,idiotic,King Kev luva, cap dother and other nice things so he can chuff off if he follows on here,:giggle:which i hope all the BM regulars do. On another subject Gray,how ya'll copin after your Barbra's passin? Hope owd Ray and the rest of the family are doin as well as can be expected mate.UTCB

Duffy is the glue that holds the holy trinity together the final piece in the jigsaw. At the start of last season many were predicting his demise and Carruthers taking over. After 3 games without him we had the same number of points as we have now two losses and despite Coutts being in the team we'd struggled in all three games. Enter Duffy against Barnsley and the Holy Trinity was reborn ending only on a bad night at Burton when we were top of the league.

He may be 33 but you can't replicate his vision. On Saturday 0-1 down and up against it he produces the pass of the match to set up Freeman for the equaliser. From that moment on we were the better team.

I keep hearing he doesn't do enough in games and he tires easily but people don't watch him closely enough. He is the out ball for our throw ins, he looks forward when he has the ball at his feet always wanting a positive outcome. Fleck looks a much better player when he is on the pitch. He is the one player we have who can run in between the lines of the oppos' defence and midfield and find space always available for the ball. As a result of always looking to get the ball forward quickly sometimes a pass goes astray and his stats arent as good as the safe passers in the team. Yet he had the highest assists in the team last year.

We don't have another Duffy in the squad. We need to find one and the pursuit of Luke Freeman shows we were trying to do this. Until that happens in Home games he has to be the first name on the team sheet for me. The impact he has in an hour is better than a number who last 90 minutes. I accept in certain away games we may need to be more defensive but at Home we have to go for it.

He's the player opposition fans worry about even the Smoggies were commenting on his impact when they were 3-0 up.

Duffy has a significant part to play if picked this season. He thrives in a 3-1-4-2 formation and its a shame we didn't pick him up much earlier in his career. TC rates him highly and thats good enough for me.

I love watching Mark Duffy play,he is a fantastic player,with golden vision,give him the ball surrounded by opposition players and he will twist and turn his way out of trouble.

I love watching Mark Duffy play,he is a fantastic player,with golden vision,give him the ball surrounded by opposition players and he will twist and turn his way out of trouble.
D'ya remember that tv programme called THE GOLDEN VISION Blockmod? Alex Young the owd Evertonian was the player called THE GOLDEN VISION by Evertonians.Hope you're ok buddy.UTCB

If only Duffy was younger, he is a great player sometimes surrounded by very average players. I hope we can find a system that includes him, Fleck, Coutts and Norwood. With our current strike force that is a distinct possibility. The bounce killer will go down as one of the legendary goals in Blades history.