Doncaster Rovers | Page 4 | Vital Football

Doncaster Rovers

Were you there today Dragnet?

We had 62% possession, worked the ball into the channels and chased and harried them for the full ninety. Wyke worked his socks of and brought Keane and Lang into the game. Our midfield dominated throughout and apart from the one error between the centre backs we looked solid at the back.

If you want to forget a game that we dominated for 90% of the time then so be it, you are a hard man to please.
Maybe 469 passes and 62% possession isnt enough for Mr Dragnet.
Maybe too many passes/ possession and not enough shots on target is what does need looking at though.

Iffy referee again and the linesman in the South West corner was not having a good one.
Did both Noel Hunt and Richie Wellens get yellows today ?

Richie Wellens explaining his view of the match
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09vqp77

Omar Bogle not even making the match day squad ....

Edit: Highlights
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12405433/wigan-2-1-doncaster

Noel Hunt also got booked after we scored our second after checking with someone with in the stand who signaled it was offside.

I think Bogle must have gone playing golf with Massey & Moonay.

I'll take that. 3 points after an international break is pretty novel for us.

I feared the worst when we absolutely gifted them the opener, and they did have a couple of other chances that better teams would probably have put away. Defensively, it wasn't the greatest performance for me, though no personal criticism for Whatmough and Watts, who I thought were both very good. I don't remember Whatmough losing out once in an aerial duel. Also, a nod to Cousins, who I think is quietly becoming a very important player with how he's linking defence and the forward line. Since he came in, we've looked much more coherent overall.

The result is fair based on the game, and we probably should've had a couple more goals, but I think we made quite hard work of what should have been an easy game against one of the weakest teams in the division on paper and based on the form book.

Still... another 3 points, now second in the table by clear points... it's much better than I'd have predicted with an almost completely new team who've only played six league games together: it's a very good sign and we'll only get better as players continue to gel.

My MOTM today is Will Keane. No brainer: two superbly taken goals was the difference maker. I honestly think that we're still only just beginning to see just how good a player the lad really is.

Solid performance and result!Showed good character to come from a goal down,the key being responding so quickly.
We switched off and lost concentration for their goal,which was disappointing,but other than that they barely threatened.Thought we controlled the vast majority of the game,could've had another goal or 2 and saw it out comfortably.

How their keeper wasn't booked straight after our 1st goal was ridiculous.All McClean was doing was trying to get the ball back and yet he was the one booked.Since he was time wasting till our 2nd goal as well,it was nice to see him go all the way up for the corner near the end,then watching as the ball sailed over his head and out for a goal kick.

I see yet another manager in Wellens is lazily referencing our so called 'big spending' to try and make excuses for the result.Think that must be half the managers in the division we've managed to rattle now and we've only played 6 league games!He's also moaning about our 2nd goal being offside,but having seen it again on the highlights and freezing it when Lang heads the ball into Keano's(who was superb today)path I'd say it looks level.Funny how he doesn't mention the blatent foul on Lang near ES3 just before their goal though!

13 points from 6 games is an outstanding start all things considered.There is still much more to come and improve on as well as this team and squad continue to gel.Buzzing at the moment,especially considering the mess we were in this time last season!Up the tics!

Zakky's got it spot on we did play the majority of that game with 10 men, McClean was the passenger today not Wyke.

Give over T&C, I get that it's your opinion but he was hardly hiding or not trying to get into the game. He made a fair few runs which dragged Doncaster players away freeing up the likes of Keane, Lang & Wyke. He did his fair share of back tracking & getting stuck in, infact just prior to his substitution he was hassling one of the Doncaster players which forced the player to lose possession & nullify their attack....imo put a decent shift in & was always showing for the ball. Don't let your dislike of the fella to eat you all up & see stuff that isn't there.

Don't let your dislike of the fella to eat you all up & see stuff that isn't there.

I reckon that is exactly what you've done, running around like a headless chicken doesn't warrant a decent game, nowt to do with me not liking the bloke.

I like Jamie Jones but glad we got Amos because Jones isnt much good even for League 1.

I reckon that is exactly what you've done, running around like a headless chicken doesn't warrant a decent game, nowt to do with me not liking the bloke.

I like Jamie Jones but glad we got Amos because Jones isnt much good even for League 1.

How can you gather from what I said in post #72 that he's running round like a headless chicken....take your blinkers off & you might see what he actually does....plenty of tracking back, tackles & taking a player on....
I also like JJ but can also see Amos is a better keeper but what's that got to do with your dislike of JM....if Jamie Jones does come in I'll not be blinkered in what he does or doesn't do unlike your good self with JM 🤔😉

Another 3 points and second in the table - can’t complain at that.

I didn’t think it was a great game, though we deserved to win. At present we are an efficient team, rather than a swashbuckling one. No problem with that given the rebuild job, though I’d like us to be a tad more adventurous against this type of opposition as the season progresses.

I thought Doncaster were poor and lacked any fight. The keeper time wasting from early on was embarrassing. We gifted them a goal and I’m pretty sure the linesman gifted us our second as Keane appeared several yards offside. Overall once again the officials were absolutely atrocious, compounded by announcing four minutes injury time and only playing three. Week after week the standard of officiating is ridiculously poor in this league.

Everything there is pretty much as it was, we are more an efficient than exciting team at the moment, but we can take that.

I noticed that about the injury time as well, I had just said "another minute or so" as the idiot blew, however he did manage to overturn a couple of decisions that the west side linesman gave, but still missed plenty more he got wrong. The only thing he did get right was the off side for Keane's second, i was directly in line and the doncaster full back stepped backwards playing us on side, cannot believe their manager claiming it was a blatant offside, all the tv footage is inconclusive and he was 50 yards away, everyone in the west near us saw it was onside.

I think the 4th official got the number wrong on the board, because the ref blew just after three minutes. Far too much of a coincidence.

VAR would have ruled that second goal out.

Noel Hunt also got booked after we scored our second after checking with someone with in the stand who signaled it was offside.

I think Bogle must have gone playing golf with Massey & Moonay.
En vacances....dans le campagne Francais.
😉
🍻

I was hoping that this game would give us a better idea of where we are. Winning games by the odd goal against top 6 sides is one thing, but against the bottom side who got battered by a team we had already beaten1- 0 is another.

Another game where their goalie was close to Motm.

I am worried about Keane. He is far too good for this league and if a big enough offer comes in we may lose him in January.

Agree with comments about Charlie Wyke. Need to get the ball out wide and cross from there. Lost count of the times Max and Darikwa were stood with acres of room out wide waving their hands for the ball to be hoofed up field. Not Charlie's fault just wrong format.

Good 3 points but need to make more chances or make ore use of the chances we get.

I think the 4th official got the number wrong on the board, because the ref blew just after three minutes. Far too much of a coincidence.

VAR would have ruled that second goal out.

Thank F**k we don't have VAR then.

TBH given the performance of that ref they would have had a very busy afternoon.:clown:

Everything there is pretty much as it was, we are more an efficient than exciting team at the moment, but we can take that.

I noticed that about the injury time as well, I had just said "another minute or so" as the idiot blew, however he did manage to overturn a couple of decisions that the west side linesman gave, but still missed plenty more he got wrong. The only thing he did get right was the off side for Keane's second, i was directly in line and the doncaster full back stepped backwards playing us on side, cannot believe their manager claiming it was a blatant offside, all the tv footage is inconclusive and he was 50 yards away, everyone in the west near us saw it was onside.

Having seen it back it was far closer than what I initially thought and can’t make a judgement from that footage. If he got it right it was one of the few things he did get right.

I was hoping that this game would give us a better idea of where we are. Winning games by the odd goal against top 6 sides is one thing, but against the bottom side who got battered by a team we had already beaten1- 0 is another.

Another game where their goalie was close to Motm.

I am worried about Keane. He is far too good for this league and if a big enough offer comes in we may lose him in January.

Agree with comments about Charlie Wyke. Need to get the ball out wide and cross from there. Lost count of the times Max and Darikwa were stood with acres of room out wide waving their hands for the ball to be hoofed up field. Not Charlie's fault just wrong format.

Good 3 points but need to make more chances or make ore use of the chances we get.

Will is 28 now and I don’t think it would be unfair to say his career hasn’t taken off. He’s finally playing regularly, scoring goals and looking happy. Unless he’s chasing a pay day I can’t see him moving on when it seems he’s finally found a footballing home.

Watched the footage a number of times now and can't make my mind up, so how Wellens can claim it to be a blatant off side is beyond me. It looks as though the player at the back of the box plays him on but from the camera angle it looks a close decision.

Regardless of all that Keane made a late run and scored, as he did for most of last season and will no doubt do for the rest of this season. It looks like LR has successfully converted him into a decent number 10 from being a hit and miss number 9.

Another 3 points and second in the table - can’t complain at that.

I didn’t think it was a great game, though we deserved to win. At present we are an efficient team, rather than a swashbuckling one. No problem with that given the rebuild job, though I’d like us to be a tad more adventurous against this type of opposition as the season progresses.

I thought Doncaster were poor and lacked any fight. The keeper time wasting from early on was embarrassing. We gifted them a goal and I’m pretty sure the linesman gifted us our second as Keane appeared several yards offside. Overall once again the officials were absolutely atrocious, compounded by announcing four minutes injury time and only playing three. Week after week the standard of officiating is ridiculously poor in this league.
The Google app on my phone indicated that the 'time' had in fact gone to 5 mins extra time. I was furious, maybe you were happy for the apparent early finish 😀

en vacance, a (add your own grave accent) Gullivers Kingdom