Do we really need another striker? | Vital Football

Do we really need another striker?

chris who

Vital Champions League
Financially it will stretch us.It will also weaken the midfield.Maybe today proved we need to be able to win the middle to get results. We simply can't afford a top striker.So invest in a real quality midfield.Possibly find real cover for Oliver.
What do you think?

Deffo - yes we do. And SE has already lined one up, from a Championship side.

We also have a Championship central defender about to come in, according to SE.

But today, we moved a very big step forward. Gills now appear to have a midfield unit that can fight for the ball and also be productive when we get it, and even when we don`t have it !

We definitely need another one, someone with a bit more pace/movement in the box. You don't have to only convert crosses in the air and we have no one nipping in to get on the end of them.

As 93 says Scally won't make the deal if we can't afford it. That's the best thing about him

Deffo - yes we do. And SE has already lined one up, from a Championship side.

We also have a Championship central defender about to come in, according to SE.

But today, we moved a very big step forward. Gills now appear to have a midfield unit that can fight for the ball and also be productive when we get it, and even when we don`t have it !

Agree with Lancs about a striker and defender, although not convinced the CB is going to be experienced player I think we need but time will tell.

On Lancs last paragraph, i'll take a little more convincing than one game today to think we've mastered our midfield problems as I thought we'd turned the corner after Rochdale, but today showed shoots of hope.

Re theOP, well we don't seem to have any worthy of the name at the moment.

I'm not counting Graham in the above as he's the one providing the crosses for a striker.

Seriously what about a Bayo if he is available. With a quick midfield it would allow Graham greater freedom if we only played one up top .I am not against signing a striker if we can afford one .But I think I am against playing more than one up top.

Seriously what about a Bayo if he is available. With a quick midfield it would allow Graham greater freedom if we only played one up top .I am not against signing a striker if we can afford one .But I think I am against playing more than one up top.

Bayo wouldn't be a bad shout BUT IMO it would mean either Akinde or Oliver going out the building as I'm not convinced Bayo is the type of striker we need if we're only bringing one in.

Graham is best out wide, not up top IMO.

We're going to have to be flexible and adaptable in the way we play otherwise we will become too one dimensional and easy to play against so again, we on occasion may be better playing two up top.

Obviously never going to happen but could you imagine Eaves attacking Graham's crossing
That is just my point having a goal scoring forward is just unaffordable especially from a championship club.But given numbers in midfield I think these lads could outscore any forward we could afford to sign.Oliver would need someone else that could hold the ball better a provided a service.There are possibly alternatives to Bayo that would be cheaper.

Lockdown - would be magic. Both would benefit from a situation like this, unfortunately cannot see it happening. Eaves was just a perfect fit for us at the right place, right time.

Why would he leave Hull, unless he found another rich vein in form and moved to a "bigger" club?

Why would he leave Hull, unless he found another rich vein in form and moved to a "bigger" club?
Indeed, halfway through a championship level contract. Plus he's just got injured again I think.

Need to find another striker who only scored 4 goals with Yeovil the previous season.

Someone quick please. A couple of decent through balls for Oliver today but he doesn't have the pace and mobility to profit. Bayo would run out of gas in 5 minutes in this team.

Eaves is injured so not likely.

If we had some who attacked the crosses from Graham that would be beautiful to watch.

Bayo has shown that he can deliver, even in the Championship, but, with the greatest respect to him, he`s not that fast. We seem to be lacking some agility and quick movement when it comes to the opposition penalty area - if we get someone in i`m hoping it`s a nippy character of the "sniper" kind.

Would it be nice to have Big Tom back ? Yeah, of course. But he`s not the nippy chappy we need and, in any case, why would he take a pay cut to move back South. Can`t see that happening.

Yes, we need a striker, but not another big lump like Bayo or Eaves. We've already got two of those - Oliver and Akinde. As others have said, we need someone with pace and a low centre of gravity. Easier said than done to find someone affordable in that category who can also finish, I know...

Last edited: