DIY - an example of what can be achieved | Page 3 | Vital Football

DIY - an example of what can be achieved

I remember that Keefy. Walked into the toilets behind corsair one morning to sed a **** having a strip wash in the basins.

Also had one stop by my desk one morning and ask if I wanted to buy any aftershave.

Its a bit more secure now.

Which division were you ?

I lived in a place called Christiania in Copenhagen back in the seventies.
It was a wonderful commune atmosphere but... All the dope was controlled by the hells angels who had a ring of steel around the place.
Everyone lives under the control of someone.

I've heard about Christiania, shotshy. Got some older mates who lived there in the 80s. Their stories concur with what you say about the Angels.

Last edited:
I remember that Keefy. Walked into the toilets behind corsair one morning to sed a **** having a strip wash in the basins.

Also had one stop by my desk one morning and ask if I wanted to buy any aftershave.

From memory I was in PSD as a tester. Then moved to ISD in engineering. Was there from about 86 to 89.

Why the need for the derogatory terminology, mark?

Sir Keefy's gripe about the travellers taking over the car park is one thing (I can understand how that was an inconvenience and a nuisance, though from the other side, I know from experience how sometimes there just isn't anywhere to go, you've been moved on, and moved on, and you just need somewhere, anywhere, to stop for a while) but this gripe about someone washing in the basin? Really?!

I frequently use public showers and wash basins. Just because I live on the road doesn't mean I don't like to clean my body. So I don't understand your problem with that, I mean, it's not as if he was taking a shit in the wash basin!

I'm.really torn over this one as the "traveller" community in my area are a bit of a 'mare. Appalling trashing of a large number of areas around me in Orpington. Violent and chronically sexist. I also think some travellers are great and should be able to live a different lifestyle to the so called norm. I have always assumed Buddha is in the latter category and if so, good luck to him.
Gills 58 - yeah I’m with you on this one 58 as we have had so many troubles with travellers who just trash areas leaving us all to clear up. They have robbed local communities there have been reported acts of idiot farmers selling land to them and they then cause even more mayhem and the locals have been forced to buy back the land at extortionate costs.
Buddha did you work and pay taxes ?

Perhaps Buddha you need to educate your not so well intentioned and informed fellow travellers who who cause ruin to others

Gills 58 - yeah I’m with you on this one 58 as we have had so many troubles with travellers who just trash areas leaving us all to clear up. They have robbed local communities there have been reported acts of idiot farmers selling land to them and they then cause even more mayhem and the locals have been forced to buy back the land at extortionate costs.
Buddha did you work and pay taxes ?

Yes, I often work and I pay taxes. I've actually spent the last three months working bloody hard. Now I wont work for a while, actually I'm going travelling for a few weeks.

Obviously one tax I don't pay is council tax. But then I don't have an address so it's not really possible for me to.

Of course there are lots of people who do have an address who also don't pay council tax because they are too poor to do so. These people get council tax benefit (or whatever it is called) whereby their tax is paid for out of the welfare budget, which is of course paid for by other tax payers. So don't go picking on me for not paying council tax because I don't claim any welfare benefits (and haven't for over 20 years).

Of course, I could go on the dole, get a place on housing benefit and have the council tax paid for by the benefit system. But I don't, I take care of my own housing, my own income.

There are some state thngs I've taken advantage of, namely education (my son's state schooling) and the nhs (though personally I've not seen a doctor or needed a hospital for about ten years) but over the years I've paid loads of national insurance and income tax.

You might think I'm a free-loading blagger but frankly I don't give a shit because I know that is not true.

Perhaps Buddha you need to educate your not so well intentioned and informed fellow travellers who who cause ruin to others

I'm trying to educate you, and others, kettners, that there are different types of travellers who have different cultures.

The ones you're talking about are all pretty religious. My lot aint, we're full of atheists and spiritualists but you'd be hard pushed to find any catholics!

I wouldn't be able to educate the other Irish travellers (who, let's face it, are the ones to who you refer, the Rom are always clean and tidy) because we don't mix very well. If I tried to tell them how they should behave you can well imagine the response I'd get. That said, we've been parked up in the same place as them before (us camped in one corner of the field, them in the other) and we have tried to lead by example.

It's the same argument i have with valencia and 3x6 about the muslims. Just because some of them are fascist Islamists doesn't mean that they all are. Just like some people who attended football matches in the 80s wanted to fight, doesn't mean that all did.

I think that because most of you are in Kent much of your experience of travellers is not great. It has become so very difficult to park anywhere in the south east that you wont find many of us 'new' travellers there. If you do spot us we'll probably be on our own or in very small groups.

It's the same argument i have with valencia and 3x6 about the muslims. Just because some of them are fascist Islamists doesn't mean that they all are. Just like some people who attended football matches in the 80s wanted to fight, doesn't mean that all did.
So not ACAB or all Tory voters are rich greedy cnts?

So not ACAB or all Tory voters are rich greedy cnts?

Well Det, I do believe that Anarcho Communists Are Beautiful!

In all seriousness, no, not all coppers are bastards, far from it. And no, not all Tory voters are rich greedy cnts.

How do I know this? Because I have met decent coppers and I have met generous poor people whio are stupid enough to vote Tory.

All this might be true, is true. But none of that makes me a fan of the police or of the Tory party. I'd prefer it if we could self-police society,, and I'd prefer it if the Tory party never ever won another seat in parliament.

Was it gec or marconi - changed all the time lol?
Maybe we all know each other lol. I worked across divisions at the end but was ISD until 1988.

My old man worked at Marconi/GEC for 40 odd years (he retired 10 years ago) . As a kid I used to love the Xmas party they put on for all the employee's kids and the presents they used to give out.

Lol, no.

Actually, me and loads of other travellers have been picking up and sorting through loads of non-travelling people's waste. And I'll tell you something for nothing, some of you house dwelling people are fcking disgusting and fcking wasteful.

We separated the waste into that which could be re-used, that which could be recycled, and that which had to go to landfill. I worked three months solid woth very few days off. But now I'm having a couple of months before I start thinking about working again. Might do the christmas trees this year...

My old man worked at Marconi/GEC for 40 odd years (he retired 10 years ago) . As a kid I used to love the Xmas party they put on for all the employee's kids and the presents they used to give out.

Yes, my kids still remember them fondly. Wellcome dartford also did very good ones.

I still remember the massive ones we had as kids in the fifties at CAV rochester.

Yes, my kids still remember them fondly. Wellcome dartford also did very good ones.

I still remember the massive ones we had as kids in the fifties at CAV rochester.

I've still got (and use) a torch from a Xmas party at Rochester. It's like a search light. Loved the panto too. Can't see many companies doing anything like that nowadays, let alone for the number of kids they used to do it for. iirc they used to do the parties over a couple of weekends to accommodate the number of kids. Different times.

Was it gec or marconi - changed all the time lol?
Maybe we all know each other lol. I worked across divisions at the end but was ISD until 1988.

Yeah, different name every few years. It was definitely GEC Avionics while I was there (for the whole time I believe). Think it was originally Marconi and they used to have partnerships with heaps of other companies and changed names to reflect that.

I’m struggling to remember the names of people I worked with there. My memory is shot.

I also worked for a few years in the College over the road from 82-86. Dockyard app from 78-82.