Did we get promoted too early ? | Vital Football

Did we get promoted too early ?

Melon Donkey

I am a little bit perplexed
So this may sound bizarre but I had this thought yesterday. Maybe it's too early to consider as despite my deep feeling of forboding we are not down yet !. But...

Clearly. financially there is no bad time to gorge on the premier league riches. But this is about team and club development, we now seem woefully unprepared. Now this is probably due to THAT run. End of Feb no one gave us a cat in hells chance yet we did it. Was the club really in a position to really plan properly. New owners, new manager , players out of contract, too many loan players. In summary just so much to sort out and along comes a premier league squad to put together.
Was the plan to build in the championship and it had to be hastily ripped up. The plan put together in my humble been exposed as flawed.

Given all the depth of trouble at the club, the mish mash of players described , the new regime coming in both structurally and coaching wise would it have been better to build it up in the EFL rather than during the blind panic of a relegation scrap.

Is there a case to say this caught us a bit by surprise and actually has it done us any good . Could we have done with more time in the EFL to ensure we were stronger when we went up. I am thinking Sheff Utd as the example.

Like I say . Financially it's a no brainer promotion is king.
But I wonder if this will do us more harm than good team and squad wise. Relegation means change and invariably starting over again. It could be one step forward and two steps back.

Last edited:
As an aside should it be 'too early' instead of 'to early' ?. Lol.

I think it should.

My OCD won't cope with this .

Possibly. I remember Burnley coming up and going straight back down under Dyche and seeing an interview with him where he basically said they'd gone up a year or two ahead of when they thought they would. Obviously they went down but came back stronger.

We had an awful lot to do this summer. We've spent a lot of money but we had to spread it out over too many players. I'm certain we'd have liked to have gotten in a couple more experienced players but as we know they cost more. We were able to get Heaton for s steal due to him being out of contract and there being 3, England keepers at Burnley.

So maybe we have given ourselves too much to do but performances like yesterday are still inexcusable. Especially when I've seen these players do better against better opposition. We seem to be getting worse not better as the season goes on.

When we get promotion Purslow said we were a year ahead of the plan meaning this year was the planned promotion year, which means if we go back down we will be a year behind the plan and spunked £130m on a load of mediocre players so probably 2-3 years behind the plan.
It's an absolute disastrous situation with inevitable asset stripping to follow.
Merry Christmas

If we go down we have assets, grealish, mcginn and mings would be sold so we would recoup a big portion of what we have invested.

They'd all be sold on the cheap. £50m for jack and McGinn, Mings we will do well to get back what we paid for him

If we go down we have assets, grealish, mcginn and mings would be sold so we would recoup a big portion of what we have invested.
. Ok,get that we are all Mr Gloom this morning but we ain't relegated yet. Deano had no choice but to bring in so many players. Some of us advocated Maupay and Bowen to pep us up but the club gambled on Wes. Now Mitrovic and Bowen would,at least,give us some balls and goals. Tactically,Dean seems glued to a 4-3-3 which is fine if we had the personnel to play that system,but we ain't. Any two of Jota,Trez and Anwar won't cut the mustard. Dean sees this(eventually) but tries to cover this weakness by shifting Jack out wide. With 3 years out of the top league in the world,we had forgotten how ruthless and unforgiving this level of football is. Defensively,we are naive and we need to tighten up our midfield. We are being out numbered game after game as teams hit us on the break. Thankfully there are a few poor teams,so let's recruit well and show some balls. This time last year,we were looking more likely to end up in Division One rather than the Premier league.We ain't dead yet, many a side have escaped the drop with a shrewd signing or two.

No we didn’t. But our strategy for surviving our first season back looks flawed.

Lots of maybe talented but vastly inexperienced players thrown into the team with an inexperienced manager at this level.

Both sides, playing and coaching need urgent bolstering with proven experience at top flight level.

Perhaps it was early but I think overall we recruited well in the summer. We have the makings of a decent side if we could get the tactics right.

Perhaps it was early but I think overall we recruited well in the summer. We have the makings of a decent side if we could get the tactics right.

It’s not looking that way. They cost more than our last intake of duds but they are beginning to look like duds nevertheless. I think 3 came from Belgian league, anyone know how that compares to PL?

It’s not looking that way. They cost more than our last intake of duds but they are beginning to look like duds nevertheless. I think 3 came from Belgian league, anyone know how that compares to PL?

For me, players like Marv, Doug, Engels, Gilbert and Targett have all shown quality but we get overloaded by everyone we play against. The tactics leave our players exposed.

Crimson beat me to it.

No, we didn't get up too early, we just didn't set ourselves up right and if we go down, we should look at what Fulham did and ask why we didn't learn from their lessons.

It looked pretty obvious to me to be fair, so makes it all pretty annoying.

If we hadn't got up last season, I think we'd have been down there a long time because no matter what anyone says, there is no way we'd have kept hold of Grealish or McGinn, and possibly one or two others.

There's an argument to say that we were. The owners themselves talked of a two-year plan to get us up. IMO it's partly why Deano was brought in. He had a track record of building teams that played good football whilst having to sell players every summer and reinvest the money. If we hadn't have gone up, Grealish and McGinn would have been sold and Deano would have been trusted to reinvest the money a la Brentford.

When we get promotion Purslow said we were a year ahead of the plan meaning this year was the planned promotion year, which means if we go back down we will be a year behind the plan and spunked £130m on a load of mediocre players so probably 2-3 years behind the plan.
It's an absolute disastrous situation with inevitable asset stripping to follow.
Merry Christmas

I'm not sure this follows though. Rebuilding the squad on Championship money would have been extremely tough. By being promoted, we've wiped out our FFP worries even if we go straight back down. I'm not sure our owners would allow all three of McGinn, Grealish and Mings to be sold in one window, I think it would be 2 out of the 3. But, if they did, that's another minimum of £100 mil to add to the kitty, as well as parachute payments, even before selling anyone else. And Deano does know how to get results that league, as last season showed, and how to find players for that league, as his time at Brentford showed.

Of course I'd rather us be in the Prem, for the financial health of the club and because it's where we've been for most of our history. But all things considered it's far from a disaster, look at how Dyche has built Burnley, that included a few yo-yo years. Whatever happens next, getting promoted last summer was a Godsend. And it's why, for me, Deano stays for the next 12 months come what may.

I feel paralyzed by what lies ahead of us, for the long term good of our club its hard to know what to do and personally I think both sides of the coin are strong.

I want to believe in DS and the long term plan but I suppose there is significant fear he is missing something. Is he too naive to cut it at this level? Right now the club and not Dean look very naive.

I knew it would happen as well the same questions are being asked of Dean again as they were when we struggled immensely for a period. With Grealish coming back last time and going on the 10 consecutive wins it has always left the question about whether it was Dean turning it around or the re-introduction of Grealish.

I admire Deano and his adherence to his methods and his belief in them but its hard to see him turning it around when some of those methods don't seem to be working.

Better to take a chance in the PL rather than yet another year slogging it out in the Championship with all the restrictions, and all the banana skins on the road to promotion.

We aren't Fulham. We put a lot of thought into adding to our somewhat sparse squad. We didn't buy PL star quality players, we couldn't afford to, but we bought players with skills who could fit in with our plan. We still are short, but we can still make a fight of staying up, especially if we get reinforcements in January.

If we go down, I think we'll be in a much stronger position, financially and on the field, than last time. There will be questions about losing our best players, but they will be that, not certainties.

Whatever, we're far from down at the moment. Our position is very recoverable. It's up to us to do it. Re DS, I think around the time of the MU game and even Chelsea the majority would have been happy about how we were going. We've dropped into a bad slump but most teams do, especially newly promoted ones. Not the time to panic.

Crimson beat me to it.

No, we didn't get up too early, we just didn't set ourselves up right and if we go down, we should look at what Fulham did and ask why we didn't learn from their lessons.

It looked pretty obvious to me to be fair, so makes it all pretty annoying.

If we hadn't got up last season, I think we'd have been down there a long time because no matter what anyone says, there is no way we'd have kept hold of Grealish or McGinn, and possibly one or two others.
Amazing how Fulham and now probably us have got it so wrong yet the likes of wolves and Sheff u have seemingly got it so right.