Dickie Davies | Vital Football

Dickie Davies

My greatest memory of WOS is when I was at university. I lodged with an elderly couple in a terraced street in Eccles,Greater Manchester, and every Saturday at 4pm, Kent Walton presented the wrestling. My landlady, a very gentle soul normally, used to stand in front of the TV, shaking her fist and shouting at the top of her voice at the screen. Occasionally the rather ageing TV would go a bit fuzzy and she would give the top of it an almighty bang, which usually did the trick. She would give the likes of Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo and the bloke who used to advertise Tetley tea (forget his name) the benefit of her experience (to quote Peter Lloyd).
My landlord would sit all through this until the football results came up. He was a lifelong Man Utd fan but he always commented when the Gills results came up (I think I partly converted him). Shows there's always hope!

I auditioned in 1989 for a ITV show called Sportsmasters which Dickie Davies devised and hosted! The first series was shown in 1990! I thought the audition would be with a researcher from the show, but no, it was Dickie Davies himself! Failed badly, but what a lovely man!

Reading up on DD I found an old world of sport where he gets his lines wrong.
DD says ''Right now lets go over to the c**ksucker, er I mean the cup soccer.''
Its on youtube for anyone who's more able to put it up on here.
Found some old classics of Benny Hill being DD to, quite funny if you like BH that is.