Dembele decision today.. | Vital Football

Dembele decision today..

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-to-make-decision-on-mousa-dembele-in-tuesday-training-ahead-of-borussia-dortmund-clash-a3632841.html

Tottenham to make decision on Mousa Dembele after Tuesday training ahead of Borussia Dortmund clash

tom collomosse

Mauricio Pochettino was planning to assess Mousa Dembele in training on Tuesday before deciding whether to include him in Tottenham’s starting XI against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday.

Dembele was named only among the substitutes for last Saturday’s 3-0 win over Everton, replacing Christian Eriksen for the final 20 minutes at Goodison Park.

Six days earlier, Dembele played 75 minutes for Belgium in a World Cup qualifier in Greece.

Dembele is Spurs’s best central midfielder and will always be included if fit, though his physical condition has to be managed carefully. He had an operation on his left foot last season after playing through the pain barrier for much of the campaign and said in July he would always have to manage the discomfort.

Pochettino knows Dembele’s importance and unless he suffered a reaction against Everton, it appears likely that he will be restored to the line-up against the German club

I assumed he was on the bench purely so he could start on weds. Is there an actual story here or they just writing for the sake of it?

freundorfoe - 12/9/2017 11:32

I assumed he was on the bench purely so he could start on weds. Is there an actual story here or they just writing for the sake of it?

he played badly in the internationals and picked up alot of flack both from his local press and the fans on twitter for being so poor..

Seemingly, his ability to play a game every other match is now being questioned.

that's worrying... hadn't followed the internationals, thought he'd been decent for us so far this season though

He's our best central midfielder, no doubt. He'll be a good way of judging which competition we're taking most seriously, if he can't play twice a week.

we need him to play. Without Wanyama we are missing a bit of steel in the centre. This and the reverse fixture against BD could prove to be the 2 most important CL games we play this season. Lose either of them and it is highly likely that we will be back in the Nohopa again. Having Sanchez does allow us to play Dier in the middle and keep a solid 3cb on the pitch though. Definitely a needed upgrade on last season. I would imagine even RM would find it hard to play against our 3cb with Dier, Wanyama and Dembele in cm.

pokerfaced - 13/9/2017 14:16

we need him to play. Without Wanyama we are missing a bit of steel in the centre. This and the reverse fixture against BD could prove to be the 2 most important CL games we play this season. Lose either of them and it is highly likely that we will be back in the Nohopa again. Having Sanchez does allow us to play Dier in the middle and keep a solid 3cb on the pitch though. Definitely a needed upgrade on last season. I would imagine even RM would find it hard to play against our 3cb with Dier, Wanyama and Dembele in cm.

That's a destructive force. It would be fun to see Ronaldo lose his shit.

Thought he was average actually but we didn't have possession to see him enough on the ball, battled well I guess.

I believe this is probably the last season of Dembele at Spurs.
He becomes too slow for this level and the way we play.

In some games, our system can't afford Dembele playing together with Eriksen.
We become too slow with him and we need a player with pace and a fast intervention who can cover Eriksen when he (often) loses the ball in midfield.

When Wanyama will be fit, Dembele will be used only as a substitution or when other midfield players are injured or when we need to “frozen” the game.

That's rubbish Ioan, Dembele is one of our most important players and often dominates games even against the top teams in the league, I do admit he probably ain't always suited to European games but if he stays fit he still has a few good years in him I'm sure.

I thought he was dreadful in the first, the game passed him by and his touch and passing completely deserted him.

He improved second half but I think most of that was us playing higher up the pitch and freeing him of the bulk of his defensive duties.

Maybe he won't be as useful in games where we're trying to soak up pressure? Not hugely surprising as his greatest strength is retaining the ball, though in the past I've been impressed by his defensive contributions.

I think games where we favour counter attacking over possession will be few and far between so not the end of the world if that is the case.

freundorfoe - 15/9/2017 17:20

Maybe he won't be as useful in games where we're trying to soak up pressure? Not hugely surprising as his greatest strength is retaining the ball, though in the past I've been impressed by his defensive contributions.

I think games where we favour counter attacking over possession will be few and far between so not the end of the world if that is the case.

IF we'd got Barclay and IF winks had been fit, I was really expecting us to sell him in the summer - that said, he is still really coming back from his foot/ankle op and sometimes it can take 10 games or so just to find your touch and rhythm again.

It's worth recalling what he had to say after the op/ pre-season:

Asked if he would always be managing the injury, the 30-year-old said: "Yeah. But I don't think there are any footballers playing at 100 percent, without anything wrong. All my career I've played with things -- this was too much and that's why I had to do something.

"All through last season I had a bit of pain. But it was always bearable until the end, so I wanted to have an operation. It's not really on my mind. When you have pain, you have pain and it's always like 30 percent there.
Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images

"Of course, there were some games when I was struggling a lot but there are different solutions to solve it -- anti-inflammatory and this kind of thing, so the pain goes away a bit. But I told myself at the end of the season, I needed to do something, I can't go on like this. The club gave me the freedom to do it, and now it's much better, so I'm happy.

"The foot is OK [since the surgery]. In the beginning it was a bit difficult but I've a lot of training sessions behind me now and it gets better and better to be honest."

Dembele faces competition for his place this season from academy graduates Harry Winks and Joshua Onomah, who earned comparisons for his performances in England under-20s' World Cup win in South Korea.

"The older players talk a lot about this, and we've spoken about Josh a lot as well," Dembele said. "Everybody knows it, and I think of his generation he's one of the best. Maybe there are a lot of similarities -- he can drive the ball as well, he's very strong and quick too.

"It's a matter of the last step I think. Everyone saw the way he is training now in preseason -- the hope for him that it's his year. He has the quality, everybody knows it.
Josh Onomah Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images

"I think the year before last Josh played more and showed everyone he can play in the Premier League. Last year, everybody saw Harry Winks and everybody knows he has a lot of quality. It's a good thing to have competition."