Dele; the handling he needs... | Vital Football

Dele; the handling he needs...

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-generational-talent-might-just-need-certain/

Dele Alli can still be a generational talent – he might just need a certain kind of manager
What happened to the player once praised to the hilt by Mauricio Pochettino?

Sam Wallace
Chief Football Writer
17 September 2020 • 7:00am
Sam_Wallace1-small.png

Over the heads of the Tottenham Hotspur players in the auditorium, Jose Mourinho asks for Dele Alli to identify himself: “I understand already,” Mourinho says to his celebrated young Englishman, “that you are a f------ lazy guy in training. I don’t need more days.”

Hard to judge the badinage levels of the Spurs manager in the seemingly endless All Or Nothing documentary series, in which Mourinho appears to consider himself in charge of a class of likeable but essentially limited year sevens. The tension is such that it feels like he could boil over at any moment, whether that is in a difficult conversation with Danny Rose or just at a meet-and-greet with the club’s IT department. Certainly this remark is pitched as a joke and Dele cracks a wan smile in response but there is the sense of an uncomfortable moment that just escapes the cameras somewhere after the cut. A manager is paid to tell hard truths, but is he right?

One theory on Dele is that his game history since he became a first team regular aged 17 at MK Dons means his training programme has been modified to recovery, even more so since his hamstring issues became more serious. He is not an effing lazy trainer, just not a player who trains much at all. Mauricio Pochettino ran all his sessions with the players wearing GPS units and logged every yard they covered with video as well. Mourinho prefers an intuitive approach to how much work players have done in a session and less reliance upon the GPS. Could there have been a misjudgement along the way?

Now it seems that the great prodigy whose move to Spurs and the Premier League five years ago launched a top-flight career of astonishing precocity is on his way out of the club and possibly the league. In football, perception is everything, and Mourinho is certainly shaping Dele’s whether the player likes it or not. But this was always a different kind of footballer, a rare talent who needed to be managed a certain way.

Dele will have watched the series fearing that the more damaging of Mourinho’s observations would stick, from “f------ lazy” to “party boy”. In their private office chat, the nature of which is known only to the two men, the film crew and the 150 million subscribers to Amazon Prime, Mourinho offers a long discourse on what he sees as the decline of Dele’s career. As for Dele, it feels like he has heard it all before.

What happened to the 21-year-old whom Pochettino acclaimed as the best of his age in the world, two and a half years ago? Certainly the player himself feels ready for a change, and now as the pathway opens up for his departure from Spurs, either in this window or another, it begs another question. As to whether this was a player who needs the right kind of guidance: a different position, a different style of play, a different manager to the one now in charge of Spurs.
The peak Dele of March 2018, when Pochettino described him as the world’s best in his age group, had more combined goals and assists than any of his 1996-born peers including Timo Werner and Leroy Sane and the 1995-born Anthony Martial. Dele’s two most productive seasons, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018, had seen an astonishing return. It was not until the next two seasons that followed that the injury problems would begin and so too the first bumps in a stellar career.

His best performances have come as a No 10 behind Harry Kane and he benefited from his partnership with the now-departed Christian Eriksen, who assisted his two headed goals against Chelsea in that Spurs famous win in Jan 2017. Dele was also a threat running in behind defences, as he did for his first on the occasion of another two-goal game against Chelsea in April 2018.

After that meeting with Mourinho in front of the Amazon Prime cameras, Dele dutifully acknowledges that he had not played well in the previous season 2018-2019. “I’m not blind to it,” he says, although it does feel like there is more he would add on the subject had the manager not already seized the narrative. The season in question was the one in which Dele played in both legs of Spurs’ Champions League quarter and semi-finals as well as the final itself. It was his pass with the outside of his right foot to Lucas Moura for the winner in Amsterdam.

Even so the perception is different. Mourinho says to him in that meeting that he sees a player who has “reached the top and then …” Briefly lost for words, Mourinho finishes his sentence by motioning a kind of floating gesture which both he and Dele, regard with mild confusion as to its actual meaning. In the early stages of their partnership Mourinho feels drawn to Dele because a revival of the player’s fortunes was a compelling theme for the newly-appointed manager. But it had to be done on Mourinho’s terms and any lazy trainer, as he sees it, is an affront to his methods.

Mourinho likes a certain type of player – a Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg for example.

As for Dele, if he is to leave then he will have to find somewhere as accommodating to his talents, as well as his weaknesses, as the Spurs of 2015 to 2019 proved to be. No easy task. A player of his undoubted ability now finds himself outside the England squad, a sign of just how far he has fallen from those days when he looked like the future of the side.

Of course there would also be a danger for Spurs in letting him leave. He was once the best of his generation and there is no reason why he might not be among that again.

I can’t believe they would let him go . It would be madness . He is only 24 . He still has ten years in front of him .
Mourhino needs to get him back to the basics , deal with the injuries and get him fit again . If that means he doesn’t play for a while then so be it .
Back in the seventies , the bindippers would sign a well known player , but you wouldn’t see them for a while until they were conditioned into the team ethic , until they were as fit as the first team and when they played , they were a perfect fit .
If Jose does this with Dele , everyone is a winner . ........ even Rich !

I think he is a young man who has had a somewhat difficult upbringing.
Some of those difficulties manifest themselves in different behaviours later on in life - being a rich footballer won't negate that.
He has made mistakes off the field, as everyone does.
If we sell him it would be a big black mark in the book and one that I think does us more harm than good. It would be like when Carrick left. Impossible to stop but forever moments of 'what if'.

Some players just do not progress thats life...whatever his problems if any of us had failed to perform in our jobs for 2/3 years we would be outta there. No excuse for having 'I've made it attitude', which he seems to display week in week out...with never any above par performances,..just consistently poor / average games ....hard work and desireto compliment skill must be foremost in the cut throat world of Pro Football. He is a failure from his early potential, no one can dispute that fact! A real shame but he has added zilch for a few years now. Let him go, perhaps he will fare better elsewhere. IMO

Im torn about letting him go or not. It seems he can't get back to the form he once showed but the team as a whole hasnt been playing well in the league for quite some time so maybe deserves more time with better players like bale and Reg coming in.

Mourinho has called him out twice in the documentary, one for being lazy and the 2nd time when he was doing the video replay when chelsea scored and dele was walking away from the action.

If the club can cash in on him I think they will.

Send him out on loan to RM or another decent team. Should be able to in this Covid environment. Then bring him back for a 1 year shot at redemption.

I kind of laugh when I hear folks call him a generational talent....I don't think he could get in the starting lineup of any top 4-5 team

Hell, you can widen that net further to say, he wouldn't get into the Arse, Sheffield, Wolves or Everton teams either. Yet, we are the exception, trying to reach CL qual and failing as we build our team around an inadequate player. Typical Spurs. Finally, times are a-changing.

I kind of laugh when I hear folks call him a generational talent....I don't think he could get in the starting lineup of any top 4-5 team

Hell, you can widen that net further to say, he wouldn't get into the Arse, Sheffield, Wolves or Everton teams either. Yet, we are the exception, trying to reach CL qual and failing as we build our team around an inadequate player. Typical Spurs. Finally, times are a-changing.

Sorry guys, but that's some really stupid shit right there.

If you only knew which teams have approached for the lad in the last 6 months you'd shit yerselves.

And ya, they're top5 in THE WORLD, let alone the Prem, clubs.

I'm not comparing them like for like, but due to the events of this week will do a comparison of stats anyway.

You don't score 50 PL goals with an added 33 assists, like Dele has, at the age of 24 if you don't have what it takes. In comparison, Bale scored 42 with 20 assists at the same age. Dele's done that in just 11 appearances more than Gareth did, 157-146.

We could have pulled the trigger on Bale when he was a "jinx" in his early years but we didn't. So why should we even consider casting Dele aside without giving him the chance to get it back?

Anyone willing to cast him aside right now has a screw loose, no offense, and all in my opinion!

The problem Dele faces is that he was at his best in a team that spent most of the game camped in the opposition half. We had a team that controlled games and had the creative players to pass through teams. We had a strong base, dominating attacking full backs and Eriksen and Dembele linking the play to the forwards. Then Dele would have his moments of magic linking with the other forwards and creating or scoring goals.

The problem for him now is we don't have the same passing game. We don't have the full backs to stretch the defense. We don't have Eriksen linking play.

Jose is clearly a fan of Moura and will play him alongside Kane and Son as much as possible. That leaves Dele having to play a completely different role. He needs to be the one contributing to linking play and feeding it to the forwards.

I'm doubtful that he can do this when his progress since joining us has been in becoming more like a forward than a midfielder. But he has a good skill set and his ability to arrive in the right place at the right time is useful for counter attacking football.

Perhaps the biggest question is if his hamstrings are up for regularly playing.

The problem Dele faces is that he was at his best in a team that spent most of the game camped in the opposition half. We had a team that controlled games and had the creative players to pass through teams. We had a strong base, dominating attacking full backs and Eriksen and Dembele linking the play to the forwards. Then Dele would have his moments of magic linking with the other forwards and creating or scoring goals.

The problem for him now is we don't have the same passing game. We don't have the full backs to stretch the defense. We don't have Eriksen linking play.

Jose is clearly a fan of Moura and will play him alongside Kane and Son as much as possible. That leaves Dele having to play a completely different role. He needs to be the one contributing to linking play and feeding it to the forwards.

I'm doubtful that he can do this when his progress since joining us has been in becoming more like a forward than a midfielder. But he has a good skill set and his ability to arrive in the right place at the right time is useful for counter attacking football.

Perhaps the biggest question is if his hamstrings are up for regularly playing.
Great post.

Dele has missed 26 league games for us in the last 2 seasons, having been almost every present before that. I'm sure Ex, Real Deal and a few others can go into more detail about the toll his type of injuries have and them being a product of his growing body playing so many games at such an early age.

He has other issues too, many that are down to him, and the point you brought up about the style of play and the personell we had when he broke into the team is spot on.

And yes, we can accuse him of thinking he's made it. Party boy, model gf etc ... and to a certain extent, that is true.

It's also clear he still holds onto problems from his upbringing. Alcoholic Mother, father who f***ed off when he was a baby but tried to come back into his life when he made it (prompting him to disavow the name Alli and just go by Dele), having to go through his teenage years being a foster kid in his class mates house.

There's a massive upside to Spurs doing everything they can to try and help, for both him and the club.

The first few seasons he hit some big number of goals and assists which with his age blew him up to overrated levels. But his technical skills and game was always average to poor. When the numbers declined he got exposed.

Even Jose thought he was a top player from the outside but now would be happy for him to go. Hoping that works to our advantage with clubs looking to sign him thinking the same

I don't think anyone has ever doubted his ability to score goals. The evidence is there he can do that very well.

His issue has always been he isn't anywhere near as good technically as he thinks or most people think.

Watch him closely, most games he will dwindle on the ball, taking an age to make a decision and he will normally lose possession. It's like he doesn't know what to do or he just freezes.

He doesn't have the pace or natural dribbling ability to make room for himself or others either.

Like I said if he kept things simple, and just did what he does best everything would be going well for the lad.

For whatever reason under Poch and now Jose we are trying to turn him into this technical AM genius and he just isn't and never will be that player.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted his ability to score goals. The evidence is there he can do that very well.

His issue has always been he isn't anywhere near as good technically as he thinks or most people think.

Watch him closely, most games he will dwindle on the ball, taking an age to make a decision and he will normally lose possession. It's like he doesn't know what to do or he just freezes.

He doesn't have the pace or natural dribbling ability to make room for himself or others either.

Like I said if he kept things simple, and just did what he does best everything would be going well for the lad.

For whatever reason under Poch and now Jose we are trying to turn him into this technical AM genius and he just isn't and never will be that player.
RD, I think you are probably right there regards Deli, a certain Frenchman who we all loved David Ginola, in an interview made a comment regards English players saying we in Europe are taught to control the ball close to our feet when receiving it from a pass, but English players control the ball a metre away, thus giving his opponent time to steal the ball, he could quite easily have been describing Deli, just a thought.

Great post.

Dele has missed 26 league games for us in the last 2 seasons, having been almost every present before that. I'm sure Ex, Real Deal and a few others can go into more detail about the toll his type of injuries have and them being a product of his growing body playing so many games at such an early age.

He has other issues too, many that are down to him, and the point you brought up about the style of play and the personell we had when he broke into the team is spot on.

And yes, we can accuse him of thinking he's made it. Party boy, model gf etc ... and to a certain extent, that is true.

It's also clear he still holds onto problems from his upbringing. Alcoholic Mother, father who f***ed off when he was a baby but tried to come back into his life when he made it (prompting him to disavow the name Alli and just go by Dele), having to go through his teenage years being a foster kid in his class mates house.

There's a massive upside to Spurs doing everything they can to try and help, for both him and the club.

I can't explain what the soft tissue and knee injuries have done to him that started three seasons ago, I've done it enough times already.

We will only see the best of him again when he isn't carrying them or the after-effects which in some cases even when you think you're fit to play will linger for 12-18 months or even longer.

We over-played him, we broke him, we didn't rotate him enough, because we didn't have anyone to rotate him with.

He's not a lazy trainer, but that stigma is going to stick now' Jose has decided that the best way to get him going again is to pile the pressure on him, he may be right as mentally a bad injury or series of related injuries unquestionably screw your head up.

It would be great to see the Delli of old, but I just can't see it until he is 100% fit - which I promise you, he still isn't.

Last edited:
I can't explain what the soft tissue and knee injuries have done to him that started there season ago, I've done it enough times already.

We will only see the best of him again when he isn't carrying them or the after-effects which in some cases even when you think you're fit to play will linger for 12-18 or even longer.

We over-played him, we broke him, we didn't rotate him enough, because we didn't have anyone to rotate him with.

He's not a lazy trainer, but that stigma is going to stick now' Jose has decided that the best way to get him going again is to pile the pressure on him, he may be right as mentally a bad injury or series of related injuries unquestionably screw your head up.

It would be great to see the Delli of old, but I just can't see it until he is 100% fit - which I proomise you, he still isn't.
LOL Ex, I didn't mean for you to actually explain in depth about his injuries like you are my personal assistant or something! Having read your take on those before, I just meant that there are others who are far better equipped to explain it.

As for the lazy training comment by Jose. That surprised me because I remember when he arrived at the club, the coaching staff raved about Dele in this aspect.