Debenhams to shut Chatham branch | Page 2 | Vital Football

Debenhams to shut Chatham branch

We own two ladies fashion & accessory shops and both are doing very well.
Independents seem to be doing much better than the bland chains.

It's about sourcing the right good quality items, good merchandising and selling at the right price.
Most of our business is repeat because of our excellent level of customer service.
Being a small trader means that we can be flexible and respond immediately, when necessary.

Our two main fashion suppliers are from Sweden and Denmark and we have had no supply issues and nor do we expect any. The only annoying thing is that their VAT level is at 25%

Waldo is absolutely correct in his point of it doesn't seem to have affected the continent so much.
It doesn't seem to have affected market towns either, just the large one.
Towns like West Malling and Headcorn are thriving.
Why is their VAT rate a problem? Are you not VAT registered in the UK?

Last edited:
We own two ladies fashion & accessory shops and both are doing very well.
Independents seem to be doing much better than the bland chains.

It's about sourcing the right good quality items, good merchandising and selling at the right price.
Most of our business is repeat because of our excellent level of customer service.
Being a small trader means that we can be flexible and respond immediately, when necessary.

I have to agree with the bland chain comment. I'm partial to buying a smart casual shirt from time to time, but nearly every man's shop you go into has either the same or a variation on a theme. Some of the independents, I'm assuming source from different suppliers or perhaps aren't bound by central policy and as a result tend to have more original offerings. If the staff know, not only their products, but also how to deliver good customer service, then I'm prepared to pay a bit extra if needs be, knowing that i'm not going to be standing next to someone in bar looking like his twin.

I have to agree with the bland chain comment. I'm partial to buying a smart casual shirt from time to time, but nearly every man's shop you go into has either the same or a variation on a theme. Some of the independents, I'm assuming source from different suppliers or perhaps aren't bound by central policy and as a result tend to have more original offerings. If the staff know, not only their products, but also how to deliver good customer service, then I'm prepared to pay a bit extra if needs be, knowing that i'm not going to be standing next to someone in bar looking like his twin.

I buy and wear shit from Primark , so I must have lots of twins !
We dry our clothes on our roof , and the sun/UV destroys them.

I know this should be a thread based on the Chatham store closing, leading to the death of all department stores in medway’s High Streets, but some of the other decisions get me.

How the fuck is the store in Canterbury closing? Nearly all of the others in Kent are closing. Nasons closed recently. Is there really not enough demand for one in Canterbury?!

I know this should be a thread based on the Chatham store closing, leading to the death of all department stores in medway’s High Streets, but some of the other decisions get me.

How the fuck is the store in Canterbury closing? Nearly all of the others in Kent are closing. Nasons closed recently. Is there really not enough demand for one in Canterbury?!
There may be a demand for a department store in Canterbury but Debenhams wasn't the answer - it hadn't changed with the times. Fenwick on the other hand is a much livelier place right next to the bus station and has innovations such as generous 20% student discounts on some things. The sort of customers that used Nasons were dying off and the store remained in the dark ages.

'The sort of customers that used Nasons were dying off and the store remained in the dark ages'

A bit like you then

Why is their VAT rate a problem? Are you not VAT registered in the UK?

Rules might be slightly different on a country by country basis but generally you can't use the VAT refund scheme for completed goods bought for resale. So in the case of fully manufactured clothes he probably isn't able to make a claim. In the case of items he might be able to claim back on, he'll only be able to claim 20% and not the 25%.

Most of the time companies can't claim VAT back which is why companies collect Intrastat figures. I'm not sure of the specifics about Denmark and Sweden, but I do know with Ireland that depending if thresholds are hit and if both are appropriately tax registered tin the UK then you can be invoiced without Irish vat. In su

Fuck this website and its fucking adverts.

Don't know if same "no vat" agreement with Denmark or Sweden, but if not then he is paying extra 25% on imports.

And didn't you claim to be an accountant with special knowledge on tax?? Have no not had any dealings with intrastats and across EU tax rules?

Rules might be slightly different on a country by country basis but generally you can't use the VAT refund scheme for completed goods bought for resale. So in the case of fully manufactured clothes he probably isn't able to make a claim. In the case of items he might be able to claim back on, he'll only be able to claim 20% and not the 25%.
VAT rules across the EU are the same - yes rates may vary but that's permitted within bands.

Read this! https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-imports-acquisitions-and-purchases-from-abroad
Most of the time companies can't claim VAT back which is why companies collect Intrastat figures. I'm not sure of the specifics about Denmark and Sweden, but I do know with Ireland that depending if thresholds are hit and if both are appropriately tax registered tin the UK then you can be invoiced without Irish vat.
Intrastat, as the name implies, is the method of collecting data on intra-EU trade in goods and hs NOTHING to do with VAT claims, payments or anything else VAT-wise. Read this! https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...neral-guide/notice-60-intrastat-general-guide

Qualified accountant and fellow of the institute of taxation - published a paper on the comparison of double tax relief methods, ie the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and the Foreign Tax Credit systems.

That’s my sister going to be out a job - fukin arseholes !
Sorry to hear that.I was made redundant when working in Chatham high street in the 1980s. It turned out well for me after a few short months.I hope and pray it will be the same for your sister.