Days gone by. | Vital Football

Days gone by.

Old Red Fart

Vital Champions League
It never fails to amaze me when threads get derailed on a regular basis by posters whose views are frequently distorted by their memories of days long gone. And often long discussions ensue, thus giving me the pip as I know all I want to know already.

Who cares?

Honestly I don't know how you find the time to do this.

:20:

Old Red Fart - 13/5/2017 13:37

It never fails to amaze me when threads get derailed on a regular basis by posters whose views are frequently distorted by their memories of days long gone. And often long discussions ensue, thus giving me the pip as I know all I want to know already.

Who cares?

Honestly I don't know how you find the time to do this.

:20:

I care not a jot :14:

I was going to post what i really thought about what ORF said but i've forgotten what the thread is about already.
Really giving me the pip i tell ya !

Get the pip:

It isn't likely that anyone would guess the original meaning of 'the Pip'. The odd fact is that it was coined in the 15th century as the name of a respiratory disease of birds. Specifically a disease that had a typical symptom of a white scaly patch on the tongue. This is first cited in the Middle English translation of the 4th century Roman writer Palladius's

De Re Rustica, circa 1440:

And other while an hen wul ha the pippe,
A whit pilet that wul the tonge enrounde

Contemporary with that usage is a reference to a human disease. This appears in John Lelamour's translation of the 15th century herbal guide the Macer Herbal:

Playnteyn helithe the pipe [Plantain heals the pip]

It's good to find a use for plantain, which most gardeners revile as a noxious weed.

Some early citations concerning the human disease Pip refer to it as a disease of the mouth and it may be that duplicates the bird disease name. Other citations are quite varied in their context and it is more likely that 'Pip' was a jokey disease name, somewhat like 'lurgy' or 'nadgers'.

Most references to 'the pip' related specifically to the bird disease, which appears to have been well known and is frequently referred to in print. People in poor spirits were described as 'like a chicken with the pip' etc.

It wasn't until the 19th century that the specific avian references were dropped and people who were were annoyed or dispirited began to be described simply as having 'got the pip'. An example of that comes in High and Low, a novel by the English author Henry Coke, 1845:

"Yes, will you come?"
"I want to come, but here's More says he won't go."
"What's the matter, has he got the pip?" inquired his lordship.

At least I got a bit of a smile out of that.

And that includes you too BlackGold.

And not a word about the "old days".

Feeling better already.

:15:

LyttleByLyttle - 13/5/2017 20:27

Evening bunnies x

Is the water warm down under ORF?

I'm sure you know better than to ask that LBL. We're well into Autumn and the local sea temp is about 21 degrees. From what I remember about Skeggie you had to break the ice at any time of the year. And you had to find the water first.

It's very quiet here today with no match to speculate on and honestly I don't know what to do next!

:117:

Old Red Fart - 14/5/2017 03:10

Evening bunnies x

I'm sure you know better than to ask that LBL. We're well into Autumn and the local sea temp is about 21 degrees. From what I remember about Skeggie you had to break the ice at any time of the year. And you had to find the water first.

It's very quiet here today with no match to speculate on and honestly I don't know what to do next!

It's not changed much ORF other than the colour is closer to my toilet water after a night at Laguna.

LyttleByLyttle - 14/5/2017 10:49

Evening bunnies x

It's not changed much ORF other than the colour is closer to my toilet water after a night at Laguna.

No surprise there LBL. I did omit to mention though that some of our lovely beaches at times are closed because of unpleasant discharges of all sorts of nasties.
Perhaps there's no such thing as Paradise.

:35:

Old Red Fart - 14/5/2017 12:11

Evening bunnies x

No surprise there LBL. I did omit to mention though that some of our lovely beaches at times are closed because of unpleasant discharges of all sorts of nasties.

You should post like this more often ORF

LyttleByLyttle - 14/5/2017 11:49

Evening bunnies x

That's a really crappy comment LBL

Apollyon - 14/5/2017 12:02

Old Red Fart - 14/5/2017 12:11

Evening bunnies x

You should post like this more often ORF

Now then Apollyon, a minute ago I was bursting with enthusiasm and the joy of life, and all of a sudden back to basics. And I'm none to keen on basics, much prefer the better things in life.
Can I get you to understand that this is the best I can do?
Mothers Day today over here and although I'll never be one I'm invited to participate. As a result I sit and eat but am obliged to sit and listen to all that stuff that in 60 years I've never understood. And never will. But they all tell me that it'll be alright.

Wish I could understand feminine speak but doubt it.

:67:

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

Some days it's possible to get a smile on here and today's one of them.

:14: