Dawn of a new era thread | Vital Football

Dawn of a new era thread

Can't see Richardson taking job as manager
Think he will move on join cook
I hope we bring in new manager with a few games still remaining
So he can see what he needs to build on for next season

I think I'd prefer to retain continuity for the remainder of this season. Any prospective future manager could still have the opportunity to be in / around the group with a view to next season, but without direct hands on control.
Tough one really to know what's for the best. If we stick with Leam and go down we'll be critical of the decision, if we appoint a new manager and go down we'll be equally critical.

Don't think there will be a choice being honest
Leam I think will want to join cook
That's why I say it there is to be a new manager bring him in now
See what is needed but keep out of Leams way untill end of season
Rather than only come in end of season and not have a clue

I agree Bicky, I was talking about the remainder of this season. I think Leam will be off to Ipswich in the summer and I would wish him every success, however, there is still unfinished business for this season yet.

No manager is joining the club at this point in the season and risking a relegation on their CV. Why would they care about who plays for us now when the entire squad is out of contract in the summer anyway.

It's Leam until May and from then on who knows. End of story!

No manager is joining the club at this point in the season and risking a relegation on their CV. Why would they care about who plays for us now when the entire squad is out of contract in the summer anyway.

It's Leam until May and from then on who knows. End of story!

Just playing devils advocate here, but maybe a prospective new manager would want to asses the current squad to see who might merit a new contract offer or be surplus to requirements. Either way, I think it's academic and that you are correct, it's highly unlikely IMO that anyone will join before May.

There will be a new 'buzz' next season throughout the club
and the fans will be looking forward to a fresh start.

Just playing devils advocate here, but maybe a prospective new manager would want to asses the current squad to see who might merit a new contract offer or be surplus to requirements. Either way, I think it's academic and that you are correct, it's highly unlikely IMO that anyone will join before May.
I've not watched much this season, but even I could probably tell you now that the only three players worthy of a deal are Joseph, Lang and Johnston. However, all three will be long gone if we go down and even if we stay up, I could only see Lang sticking around. I don't have Evans down for a new deal as we can't afford the likes of him anymore.

We're a fantastic prospect for any new manager coming in the summer depending on the budget they are given by the new owners. A completely clean slate to build their own squad and coaching staff. Ironically, it would probably be easier for them to do it in L2 as it was for Caldwell in L1 because we would be the big fish who could attract the best players for that level. It would be harder to build a playoff pushing L1 team from scratch because some big clubs are going to be dropping into the third tier next season, not to mention those Horwich bastards coming up.

I've not watched much this season, but even I could probably tell you now that the only three players worthy of a deal are Joseph, Lang and Johnston. However, all three will be long gone if we go down and even if we stay up, I could only see Lang sticking around. I don't have Evans down for a new deal as we can't afford the likes of him anymore.

We're a fantastic prospect for any new manager coming in the summer depending on the budget they are given by the new owners. A completely clean slate to build their own squad and coaching staff. Ironically, it would probably be easier for them to do it in L2 as it was for Caldwell in L1 because we would be the big fish who could attract the best players for that level. It would be harder to build a playoff pushing L1 team from scratch because some big clubs are going to be dropping into the third tier next season, not to mention those Horwich bastards coming up.

I'm puzzled as to your assessment criteria there C_Latic, as you're including academy outputs in your selection ... in which case, I think there's absolutely no doubt that Robinson and Aasgard are also well worthy of retention.

Also, let's not forget Pearce who;s out injured. Personally, I'd add Darikwa to the list too, who's had far more good games than bad ones, as well as being Motm (or at least a contender) on numerous occasions.

A few more have 9 games to stake their own claims for a new contract.

I'm puzzled as to your assessment criteria there C_Latic, as you're including academy outputs in your selection ... in which case, I think there's absolutely no doubt that Robinson and Aasgard are also well worthy of retention.

Also, let's not forget Pearce who;s out injured. Personally, I'd add Darikwa to the list too, who's had far more good games than bad ones, as well as being Motm (or at least a contender) on numerous occasions.

Adding to the list - I think Ojo has improved every game. And let's not forget Long's contribution before he was injured.

One thing is for sure, Callum Lang is the leader of this team now and, hopefully, for years to come.

I reckon that's about right for me as well. I think Aasgaard really has potential just needs a little more time.

I think we are all too quick to forget what the squad looked like on opening day against Ipswich. Looks very different now and I think we have the basis of a squad that can challenge next year (If we stay up) if we are able to bring in more players and add more experience.

I've watched every game this season C_Latic, clearly next seasons division will be critical as to the players we will need but I'd also add Merrie and Robinson to the names suggested by others above, given the experience they've picked up this season.

Arthur, I've obviously underestimated you! You have the power to close a thread. I thought only the Fear could do that. 🤥

Darikwa's another one who won't stay if we go down, Pearce will go even if we stay up, he had Championship interest in January.

I'm including academy graduates out of contract. Thelo Robinson and Long still have contracts (I think) so weren't worthy of a mention.

Ojo isn't good enough for a top half league one team. Neither is Merrie, but he's young so probably worth a deal as a squad player. Having said that, at 22 years old, he needs to be starting every week to truly develop as a player and for me he's not an automatic starter for a team who will demand either a far improved showing in L1 or automatic promotion in L2.

Arthur, I've obviously underestimated you! You have the power to close a thread. I thought only the Fear could do that. 🤥

I took on some admin responsibilities a couple of weeks ago. Not getting involved in poster policing, just doing a bit of content management more than anything.