David De Gea | Page 2 | Vital Football

David De Gea

You think most are at their max ability of learning crook?
With that said: I think a coach should play whatever way which makes the players shine. Not the way he wants to shine. If he does, it needs change.

You think most are at their max ability of learning crook?
With that said: I think a coach should play whatever way which makes the players shine. Not the way he wants to shine. If he does, it needs change.
Let's hope Howe and his team can develop the players further, especially all the young uns we have coming through.

Reactions: Rza
Yes the defence did really well last year. But no I would not describe Pope as a "brilliant" goalkeeper during that period. He played his part without too many silly mistakes. But lets look at the other side of the statistics. We let in the same amount of goals as City, but they scored over 20 more. That has to be our direction of travel and for that we would need a keeper who can anticipate, clean up and start meaningful passages of attacking play. Rather than hoof the ball into the stands (at best).

I think a big problem with our club for years is as soon as we get a decent player on the books, especially if they are a badge kisser, they become "brilliant" and immune from criticism. Remember when KK sold David Kelly, and later Andy Cole?

if we want to win stuff (I do) most of our current players will need to be upgraded imho
I wouldn't go as far as to say pope is brilliant but I think he was brilliant last season, the whole defence was and he deserves the plaudits as much as the rest. He's a decent keeper a position which can be very hard to fill and you ask yourself who's the alternative and who's available. That was the point of my thread and in my opinion nobody is immune criticism.

I wouldn't go as far as to say pope is brilliant but I think he was brilliant last season, the whole defence was and he deserves the plaudits as much as the rest. He's a decent keeper a position which can be very hard to fill and you ask yourself who's the alternative and who's available. That was the point of my thread and in my opinion nobody is immune criticism.

Oh I agree that nobody is immune to criticism, I just think that Pope has enough in the bank to be afforded some time to learn from mistakes or improve where he's going wrong.

What hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet is his return from injury and has it affected his game mentally or if there's any pain from it still that he's not mentioning which in turn could be affecting his concentration. I just think the next clean sheet he gets will improve his confidence massively and hopefully it comes in the next cluster of games.

As for De Gea, I recently watched a compilation of his recent seasons and can't believe the amount of clangers he has had. Some of them just so unbelievable that you start to think he's been gotten to by some Chinese betting syndicate or something.