David Beckham to retire at end of the season | Page 2 | Vital Football

David Beckham to retire at end of the season

Totally and undeniably the greatest ambassodor for football and this country that we have produced in a generation.

He is an East-End boy, done good and attempted to put as much back that he possibly could. Yes he has earned a fortune in the process, but good for him.

He has earned billions, not millions, billions, for charity over the years, he has represented Great Britain on and off the football field with honour and he deserves to be knighted.

Well done David, the best compliment I can give , is whether they have £1 or £1 billion pound in their bank, I hope my kids turn out like you have

BodyButter - 16/5/2013 17:24

thefacehead - 17/5/2013 02:21

Becks was great, I will NEVER forget that game against Greece, Paul Scholes was crap that day, Beckham must have covered every blade of grass that day and we all know what happened next.

Has played at top clubs all over the world and is very much admired in Spain and Italy, no mean feat.

As for calling him thick as shit, well I don't know if he is or not but he's clearly a good guy. The work he does for charity (not to mention him giving his wage to a local charity in Paris) plus the hours and hours and hours he spends with academy set ups.

I have never got why people hate him so much, personally I think he is a credit to the game and our country.

I don't think many people hate him. I think that Brand Beckham and the marketing hype which surrounded him made him seem like a better player than he was (he was never the best player in the world) and people pushed back against that.

I would argue with anyone that he was, at one time, both the best passer of a football and the best free kick taker in the world.

thefacehead - 17/5/2013 02:32

BodyButter - 16/5/2013 17:24

thefacehead - 17/5/2013 02:21

Becks was great, I will NEVER forget that game against Greece, Paul Scholes was crap that day, Beckham must have covered every blade of grass that day and we all know what happened next.

Has played at top clubs all over the world and is very much admired in Spain and Italy, no mean feat.

As for calling him thick as shit, well I don't know if he is or not but he's clearly a good guy. The work he does for charity (not to mention him giving his wage to a local charity in Paris) plus the hours and hours and hours he spends with academy set ups.

I have never got why people hate him so much, personally I think he is a credit to the game and our country.

I don't think many people hate him. I think that Brand Beckham and the marketing hype which surrounded him made him seem like a better player than he was (he was never the best player in the world) and people pushed back against that.

I would argue with anyone that he was, at one time, both the best passer of a football and the best free kick taker in the world.

Possibly but he was below the levels of Ronaldo (the original), Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (the second one) and Messi even in his prime, IMO.

He was a great free kick taker and a very good footballer but the hype made him out to be the god of football. The guy who completed every pass, scored every free kick and won every game and nobody can live up to that.

It doesn't take away from what he has achieved, the dignity he has done it with and the excellent work he has done for charity and for England.

He is one of very few modern footballers who I admire.

If all our England player worked as hard in games and practised as long as he did (it's well documented that he spent hours after training taking free kicks) then we would have come a lot closer to winning a major tournament than we have.

Give me 1 Becks over 1 million John Terry's any day!

Liked/like the guy.

Branded himself well to make a great amount of money for him and his family, always gave his all for his sport and does a lot to give back from what I can see.

He's done so well having been all but crippled by his grotesque looks as well.

Would imagine he will be knighted some day!

thefacehead - 17/5/2013 02:45

If all our England player worked as hard in games and practised as long as he did (it's well documented that he spent hours after training taking free kicks) then we would have come a lot closer to winning a major tournament than we have.

Give me 1 Becks over 1 million John Terry's any day!

Absolutely, I think that's one of the things that I admire so much about Beckham. Like Milner, their 'talent' is hard work. They aren't the Messi or Ronaldinho kind of supremely naturally talented players but they made themselves into what they are and that has to be respected.

Not that bothered any more. Yeah, he was good at Manure. More important things in life.... like Stan and his new charity.

I'm not sure legend does him justice? Most capped outfield Englishman, won championship in 4 countries on top of an already huge list of honours, world footballer of the year nominee several times, in the world team several times, and that's just some of his achievements in football! On top of that he managed to fly out to Singapore and bring back the Olympics, visit the troops in Iraq, create millions for charities and father 4 kids!!!

on top of the patriotism, the passion, the charity work, the excellent role model and the ambassador for this country, he is also drop dead gorgeous!

Maybe now he's stopped playing he might have time to reply to some of the marriage proposals I sent him!

He deserves all the praise and maybe now a long overdue knighthood. Now he's stopped playing maybe well get to see more of him on telly doing new things. Whatever he does I'm sure he'll do well and he certainly has my support.

Genuinely decent guy and family man. I have alot of time for David & Victoria. Brand Beckham as well as all the other ways they have made their money has been good for them and for us all. They give so much back.

I once seen a interview with Victoria which changed my views/unsure/indifference of Victoria & David. She said 'David would come home from work and say 'what daft things have you said today to the media today?'

Alot she would say as a joke and never expected them to take it seriously but eh it sells papers. I wasn't a fan of either of them along time ago however I have revised my views over the years.

Decent couple. Made it big and give back. People who hate them (as there is no good reason too) are just jealous imho