Dave Quirke | Vital Football

Dave Quirke

A great player for the Gills and, despite his size, one of the hardest players ever to wear the shirt. I remember him breaking a Carlisle players' nose who must have been 12 inches taller than his in a clash of heads. Quirky got up straight away, the other player, Chris Burkenshaw I think it was, was laid out for a while and player no further part in the game.

As a kid, he was one of my heroes..... together with Alec of course, although I'm pretty sure they never actually played in the same team.

Last edited:
Think Dave Quirke was the skipper of the 73/74 promo side wasn’t he? That was my first full season watching Gills as a youngster.

Sad news. RIP Dave.

Not a regular then, first few games were in that season but I do remember him playing (probably the unusual name). Didn't become a regular match goer until 79.

A great player for the Gills and, despite his size, one of the hardest player ever to wear the shirt. I remember him breaking a Carlisle players' nose who must have been 12 inches taller than hij in a clash of heads. Quirky got up straight away, the other player, Chris Burkenshaw I think it was, was laid out for a whole and player no further part in the game.

As a kid, he was one of my heroes..... together with Alec of course, although I'm pretty sure they never actually player in the same team.
Agree with all of that. Well said. Loved him even though Gills were struggling when he played for us. I'm starting to feel old now many of my old heroes are dying off. Ìf Alan Wilks goes I'll have a breakdown.

Still alive according to wiki.

Has was of course in our fantastic promotion team of 73/4. Joined in '66 so first few years were a struggle but a great finish.