Darren Oldaker Signs for Hythe on Loan | Vital Football

Darren Oldaker Signs for Hythe on Loan

Trev_GFC

Vital 1st Team Regular
...according to Gillsconnect, although nothing announced officially. Hythe had an Oldaker playing for them yesterday however, according to their twitter account, so sounds legit :17:

It does seem to be true report on the match below .
https://www.hythetownfc.co.uk/?mobile=1

Given the name him on the official site it looks to be fact .
At least it will put a few games under his belt .Not sure the level is as high as he could play at .

chris who - 7/2/2018 08:17

It does seem to be true report on the match below .
https://www.hythetownfc.co.uk/?mobile=1

Given the name him on the official site it looks to be fact .
At least it will put a few games under his belt .Not sure the level is as high as he could play at .

It?s the 8th tier which on the face of it is disappointing. Would have thought he could add something to a struggling National League (conference) side.

I?m sure there are lots of things which Lovell would need to take into account such as pitch quality, somewhere Darren can get to easily without having to pay rent, trusted coaching staff. I?m sure it will be more physical which might do him some good.

He is also very likely to have a chance to play in a attacking role .Also get to take free kicks and corners .Which he may not have been given at a higher level .

Disappointed for DJ as he is clearly one of the most talented players on our payroll but, apart from failing to understand why he`s not gone to a club of at least National League standing, I`m not about to criticise SL`s judgement.

Presumably with the transfer window now closed, he wouldn't have been able to go to any national league club (or do they not have the same transfer window rules as Football League clubs?). Although that said, if we were planning on loaning him out, we could've done it last week when he could've gone to clubs at that level.

Mbo (Kingstonian) and O'Mara (Folkestone) also went to what on the face of it seemed quite a low level for players who've been on the fringes of the first team this season (admittedly O'Mara mainly because of injuries). Presumably there must be some reason behind those decisions.

madrid_gill - 7/2/2018 10:25

Presumably with the transfer window now closed, he wouldn't have been able to go to any national league club (or do they not have the same transfer window rules as Football League clubs?). Although that said, if we were planning on loaning him out, we could've done it last week when he could've gone to clubs at that level.

Mbo (Kingstonian) and O'Mara (Folkestone) also went to what on the face of it seemed quite a low level for players who've been on the fringes of the first team this season (admittedly O'Mara mainly because of injuries). Presumably there must be some reason behind those decisions.

Madrid, there`s no transfer window in the National League anymore. DJ could have gone to a NL team.

Correct me if I am wrong, but surely we can only loan players to clubs who want them, we can't insist that a club at a certain level takes our player just because we want them out on loan?

Management teams have different ideas on use of the loan system and on developing young players. It's not just about technical skills but about personal development too. I believe that we have a better record in that area and that it works to our advantage in the long term. Lovell and Patterson will have been involved with all these players since they were boys and will have an interest in them, which goes beyond transfer values and first team prospects.

I can't imagine many National League teams being prepared to guarantee game time for players with virtually no first team experience. You can send an experienced player out on loan anywhere he is prepared to go but Oldacre and co require closer monitoring.

TelP - 7/2/2018 11:28

Correct me if I am wrong, but surely we can only loan players to clubs who want them, we can't insist that a club at a certain level takes our player just because we want them out on loan?

True.

There definitely seems to be a policy against sending players to Maidstone or Dover on loan - both teams playing in the National League so perhaps we don?t want to strengthen a potential Kent rival?

Of course, but you would think a League 1 midfielder on the fringes of the first team ought to strengthen any non league club. If they don?t then it says something about our strength in depth.

Lark - 7/2/2018 14:20

Of course, but you would think a League 1 midfielder on the fringes of the first team ought to strengthen any non league club. If they don?t then it says something about our strength in depth.

I'm not sure that DJ was on the fringe of our first team.
He was on the bench to make up the numbers.
He has never impressed me when he has come on and besides a little cameo in pre-season friendlies, has not shown much considering how he is bigged up by some.

I'm sure that he could play at a level above Hythe Town, but would any ambitious National League side really want an unproven League one youngster?

At this level, you'd expect him to shine and be outstanding. If he does, then everyone is a winner. If he doesn't then that also proves something.
Non league is rife with kids who 'had potential'

Non league is rife with kids who 'had potential'

Just remember Ashley Miller, a few first team games and single goal for us and Arsenal and Liverpool were sniffing around. Mad Dog released him and now he's at Faversham having previously turned out for Folkestone and Hythe.

The National League isn't lacking in any huge drop in quality from the conference. A kid of ours who's not near the first team wouldn't get into one of their teams IMO, especially not the Kent clubs who are in the top half.

National North/South I'm not sure.

Dack went out on loan early in his career with us so hopefully it's the making of Oldaker and he goes the same way. Be good to get him playing regular football with men where winning and losing games really matter.

Trev_GFC - 7/2/2018 17:08

The National League isn't lacking in any huge drop in quality from the conference.

Hardly surprising given they?re the same thing :19:

I assume when we loan a player to a non-league club that the player still trains with us unless he's training with his loan club? In the absence of a proper reserve team it's the only way these players are going to play, so whatever the level it can't hurt. At least he'll be maintaining match fitness if nothing else.