Daniel Levy: Spending in Premier League 'totally unsustainable' | Page 13 | Vital Football

Daniel Levy: Spending in Premier League 'totally unsustainable'

It will definitely be interesting to see the 18/19 financial statement. I thought we were at £380m in 17/18 so no clue where we are in 19/20. We might be nearer to that £400m run-rate without CL than you think. Getting top 4 this season would be amazing though.

I predicted our revs would be 410 million, either way we still have some considerable way to go to really close the financial gap.

I predicted our revs would be 410 million, either way we still have some considerable way to go to really close the financial gap.

I agree. The point I was making is that there is also a decent gap looking the other way with sides like Leicester. Unless it is at our expense then I hope they get top 4 at the expense of Chelsea and Arsenal. That's more useful to Spurs knowing CL players may not want to move to the EL sides. It also heaps pressure on Leicester next season with the tougher fixture schedule and their depth of squad.

Well worth the effort to read.

Is Daniel Levy the cause of or solution to Tottenham’s problems?

Spurs are an exception to football’s modern model, sidestepping risk as they grow in a patient and painstaking manner
It was one of those beautiful days at Tottenham Hotspur’s training ground that made the supreme facilities shine that bit more, only for Daniel Levy to notice something that wasn’t beaming. It was the face of a player who had been agitating for a move, and in that moment really didn’t seem to be happy to be there at all. So, Levy decided to push his buttons a bit in front of staff and teammates.

“Is he not going to smile?” the Spurs chairman asked those around the player. “Look around you. How can you not be happy to be here, with all this?”

“I’m just here to do a job,” the player responded.

Much of this was obviously a Levy power play, yet also a telling little twist on how Levy and ENIC are often perceived. The view is usually that they will always favour business over romance, but that was here turned on its head.

It also feeds into the single biggest question about Spurs right now, on the back of another highly-debated transfer window, and ahead of a tight race for the Champions League places. Have the ownership conditioned them to be a second-rung club who will never quite make the leap to the top because they never make the brave decisions and big-time investment necessary? Or have they - and specifically Levy - incrementally pushed Spurs to the very brink of super-club status through the smartest decisions, and precisely because they haven’t been so rash.

CONTINUES HERE:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...eriksen-pochettino-mourinho-epl-a9310661.html

Well worth the effort to read.

Is Daniel Levy the cause of or solution to Tottenham’s problems?

Spurs are an exception to football’s modern model, sidestepping risk as they grow in a patient and painstaking manner
It was one of those beautiful days at Tottenham Hotspur’s training ground that made the supreme facilities shine that bit more, only for Daniel Levy to notice something that wasn’t beaming. It was the face of a player who had been agitating for a move, and in that moment really didn’t seem to be happy to be there at all. So, Levy decided to push his buttons a bit in front of staff and teammates.

“Is he not going to smile?” the Spurs chairman asked those around the player. “Look around you. How can you not be happy to be here, with all this?”

“I’m just here to do a job,” the player responded.

Much of this was obviously a Levy power play, yet also a telling little twist on how Levy and ENIC are often perceived. The view is usually that they will always favour business over romance, but that was here turned on its head.

It also feeds into the single biggest question about Spurs right now, on the back of another highly-debated transfer window, and ahead of a tight race for the Champions League places. Have the ownership conditioned them to be a second-rung club who will never quite make the leap to the top because they never make the brave decisions and big-time investment necessary? Or have they - and specifically Levy - incrementally pushed Spurs to the very brink of super-club status through the smartest decisions, and precisely because they haven’t been so rash.

CONTINUES HERE:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...eriksen-pochettino-mourinho-epl-a9310661.html
Interesting that both Barcelona and Liverpool took the ‘Virtuous Circle’ approach to growth ie: invest in the team first, win things, grow the brand on the back of on-field success and then grow the stadium and training facilities which is exactly what many of us on here have argued for years....but here we are, all undressed and unlikely to be going anywhere, but we have a wonderful set of ‘clothes’.

Interesting that both Barcelona and Liverpool took the ‘Virtuous Circle’ approach to growth ie: invest in the team first, win things, grow the brand on the back of on-field success and then grow the stadium and training facilities which is exactly what many of us on here have argued for years....but here we are, all undressed and unlikely to be going anywhere, but we have a wonderful set of ‘clothes’.

What is Spurs brand? "Almost"?

The whole article is disingenuous; the clubs mentioned already were global icons with revenues we could only dream of, and attendances (in the modern era) again, we could only dream of.

In modern terms consider this; the 10 biggest selling replica kits in the World don't just out-sell us they absolutely smash our numbers by a huge margin which gives them an underpinning commercial revenue we will only match in decades before getting near to it.

It's a chicken and egg question.

We were famous for one/two (arguably) seasons in Europe whereas Manure and Barca were outselling kits by 10-1 even then.

Our brand from a commercial analysis/revenue POV of few has equated to not very much at all when compared to them. All Barca, bin dippers and Manure had to do was use their income better and invest wiser.

We could of course taken potential club busting gambles, but to do that, you have to be owned by millionaires(too poor these days) or billionaire(s) who wanted to spend and keep spending and keep spending before getting bored when it didn't work.

I would have loved to have an Abramovitch who wanted to buy every trophy in Europe, but even he had to give up on that in the end.