👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman | Page 10 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman

How are we FAR beyond the plan of top 4?
We haven't won anything, we are not aiming to won anything, and our stated mission is... Top 4.

People seem to think that the project started when Poch joined, they are wrong. For all Levy's faults, under him we have progressed from a bottom table club to mid table, upper mid, top 6 and now top 4. How does Pochetinno take all the credit for that is beyond me.

To answer your last question, if we dont get top 4 then Poch has failed he needs to go.

Well, the original agreement was for Pochettino to get the team to the level where it would qualify for CL for the first year in the new stadium. They weren't expecting to be in the CL prior to that.

He has far exceeded those expectations which has contributed an enormous amount of additional, unplanned for cash to the cause.

With the resources he has been allotted he has more than delivered.

Levy didn't deliver the stadium when he said he would. I think Levy was overly ambitious and have always said so. He should have st the target for next season and we would all still be happy(ier).

But the issue still stands. Pochettino delivered. Levy didn't.

How are we FAR beyond the plan of top 4?
We haven't won anything, we are not aiming to won anything, and our stated mission is... Top 4.

People seem to think that the project started when Poch joined, they are wrong. For all Levy's faults, under him we have progressed from a bottom table club to mid table, upper mid, top 6 and now top 4. How does Pochetinno take all the credit for that is beyond me.

To answer your last question, if we dont get top 4 then Poch has failed he needs to go.
If I was Poch and we don’t get top 4 I would go voluntarily and find a club where the core business is the football team. Levy’s strategy is based upon maximising ENIC’s investment in the total real estate project...the football team is just a nuisance for him.

Well, the original agreement was for Pochettino to get the team to the level where it would qualify for CL for the first year in the new stadium. They weren't expecting to be in the CL prior to that.

He has far exceeded those expectations which has contributed an enormous amount of additional, unplanned for cash to the cause.

Levy didn't deliver the stadium when he said he would. I think Levy was overly ambitious and have always said so. He should have st the target for next season and we would all still be happy(ier).

Where's that agreement?

Levy no 'delivering' the stadium is reaching IMO. I am sure Poch was briefed well before the building went underway, with all the risks and potential delays.

Poch had an incredible group of players that were mainly brought in by a team that was set in place before he arrived. The entire project that was set in place years before he arrives built an environment for his success.

This narrative seems rather simplistic and naive.

Levy this season

Failed to finish the stadium on time - not even finished yet.

Failed to secure contracts for keys player Christian

Transfer marker failure in and out - not the only one at fault.

Over charging for league games at Wembley - Cat B for southampton/Burnley etc

Debatable he’s telling the truth over stadium delays/season ticket money.

I’m sure I’ve missed something.

Granted about the resources, but that doesn’t mean the players we have are not top 4 quality - plus the implosion of at least 1 top 4 side per season we’ve qualified.

I truely believe a top manager would have won at least 1 trophy with this side, potentially the league.

Exactly which is why Levy should be ridiculed, not Poch. To deliver CL football was a huge achievement . If we had no injuries we may have delivered again, now it's touch and go due to financial limitation.

Levy this season

Failed to finish the stadium on time - not even finished yet.

Failed to secure contracts for keys player Christian

Transfer marker failure in and out - not the only one at fault.

Over charging for league games at Wembley - Cat B for southampton/Burnley etc

Debatable he’s telling the truth over stadium delays/season ticket money.

I’m sure I’ve missed something.

Levy is not the one building the stadium, there are countless contractors bound by a legal agreement, and as is usually the case in these monstrous projects - a delay occurred.

Both Toby and Eriksen have been offered great contracts. Eriksen's agent has been playing this game for years in order to get to this moment, and Toby went back on an agreement. We reportedly offered 200k and 150k to these players, not sure what you wanted him to do?

We had a limited budget which was streched even further by failed signings an an imbalanced squad (who's responsibility is that?) but we could have done a lot more.

Levy is not the one building the stadium, there are countless contractors bound by a legal agreement, and as is usually the case in these monstrous projects - a delay occurred.

Both Toby and Eriksen have been offered great contracts. Eriksen's agent has been playing this game for years in order to get to this moment, and Toby went back on an agreement. We reportedly offered 200k and 150k to these players, not sure what you wanted him to do?

We had a limited budget which was streched even further by failed signings an an imbalanced squad (who's responsibility is that?) but we could have done a lot more.

It’s on his watch, we’ve had years to plan and he’s it’s gone wrong.

Maybe I am being harsh on him about the delay but the communication, flirting with the NFL is wrong.

To me it seemed we tried to cut costs and are now paying the price.

It’s on his watch, we’ve had years to plan and he’s it’s gone wrong.

Maybe I am being harsh on him about the delay but the communication, flirting with the NFL is wrong.

To me it seemed we tried to cut costs and are now paying the price.

In the last week I have had 2 emails from Spurs about the NFL.

Where's that agreement?

Levy no 'delivering' the stadium is reaching IMO. I am sure Poch was briefed well before the building went underway, with all the risks and potential delays.

Poch had an incredible group of players that were mainly brought in by a team that was set in place before he arrived. The entire project that was set in place years before he arrives built an environment for his success.

This narrative seems rather simplistic and naive.

It's not a narrative. That agreement was publicized by Pochettino. It may have been in his book. Can't remember where I read or heard it.

Levy set the expectations of everyone. EVERYONE. Had didn't do what he said he would. Doesn't matter if it was outside of his control it was badly managed.

Granted about the resources, but that doesn’t mean the players we have are not top 4 quality - plus the implosion of at least 1 top 4 side per season we’ve qualified.

I truely believe a top manager would have won at least 1 trophy with this side, potentially the league.

Perhaps but your discounting MP's ability to work with Levy. A top manager would have bolted 2-3 years ago.

Perhaps but your discounting MP's ability to work with Levy. A top manager would have bolted 2-3 years ago.
Not to mention that since some "top 4 sides" have imploded in recent years, they must have done so with a "top manager" at the helm. I'm one of the idiots like those at some of the top clubs who'd love to have Pochettino as their manager. I've been tricked into believing that he could be a top manager himself. I've also been tricked into believing that a manager who can survive Levy/ENIC while giving us back to back to back Champion's League will win something. The notion of "victims of our own success" makes sense, as Spursex (I believe) has repeatedly said, is exactly right. They (those constraining what our manager can do) never expected him to turn us into a CL regular as quickly as he did. None of us will ever be happy without winning things, while it's fair to say that Levy/ENIC have a different idea of winning. As long as that is our ownership, our only hope is that what we define as successful can somehow intersect with what the Club defines as successful to give both groups what we want. I support Poch in trying to make that happen. I'm certainly not impatient for the mid-table days or Europa or being the third-best team in London.

Cut a long story short.

We were a football club when Levy turned up , what 20 odd years ago ?

WTF has he got right for a football team ?
That may have been rhetorical, but...it was around 2001 ENIC took over from Sugar? In the first 10 years, we won the same number of cups as when owned by Sugar, 1. And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that. And our average league position seemed to improve.

Then in the last half of Levy's tenure, our league position and consistent appearances in European cups have been far better than with Sugar. Last 10 years, our worst league position was 8th in 08-09, best was 2nd. Better than the 90s, slightly better than the 80s, far better than the 70s. The downside is we've won no cups in this stretch of our best league form since the 60s.

I'm not sure if I'd feel any differently if we'd won another domestic cup in the last 10 years. I might have, for a few weeks. It's always good to win something. But, I'd want better. We'll always want better. But I wouldn't prefer a mid-table team that wins an odd cup here and there to the last few years. Others may disagree. My biggest complaint about Levy has instead been that there have been multiple times when we had a good chance at either top 4 or the league itself and he didn't appear to offer much help to put us over the top. He's not solely to blame, but he let us and his managers down 2-3 times in that situation.

I'd say the thing he got right for a football team was Pochettino, whether or not by luck I can't say. Some hate Poch, I hope he stays for a few more seasons.

Last edited:
All about the money with ENIC. Of course some won't or can't see that.

:slap:

If it was all about the money, they could easily have raped the business, not re-invested profits in the infrastructure and easily have taken 3-500 mill out of the business - but they haven't. They took the longer term view.