Dan Burns Car | Vital Football

Dan Burns Car

Never have I known a keeper install absolute jitters into his defence. He must be a bloody nightmare to play in front of with his piss farting dithering. 1st goal he brushed out the way like a little lad.

Let's be fair he is (and has been most of the season) a superb shot stopper.

Unfortunately, he's prone to the occasional clanger (as are many keepers) and most worryingly, he's atrocious at commanding his 6 yard box.

May be time for a rest.

Last edited:
Let's be fair he is (and has been most of the season) a superb shot stopper.

Unfortunately, he's prone to the occasional clanger (as are many keepers) amost worrygly, he's atrocious at commanding his 6 yard box.

May be time for a rest.

WAS a superb shot stopper pal last season. He's now making more cock ups than superb saves.

He definately needs dropping, he is rooted to the spot looking scared to move and creating panic in our defence when he only needs to make the simplest of moves to collect the ball. Next game is FA Cup so give Jones a go and see how much our defence should improve

I must admit my defence of Walton over the past year and a half has been based on the fact that he is young and a decent shot stopper. I had hoped he would add to his game and start to command his box more, however this hasn't happened. Whether this is due to the fact that the centre backs have been swapped and changed through injury and trying to accommodate other players I don't know. What I do know is what I see, a young keeper who's confidence is shot. He is not being helped by the simple mistakes that the players around him are making creating opportunities and goals for the opposition. He needs to be rested, he needs time on the bench to regain his confidence and he needs a coach to take him to one side and work with him on crosses and leaving the goal line to take them. I have no doubt there is a decent keeper in there but what we are seeing at the moment is a shadow of the player from last season and the beginning of this one.

Calling for his head is not what he needs. The manager should realise that he is a relatively young player in terms of experience and rest him to prevent further damaging his career as constantly picking the ball out of the back of the net will destroy him. Give Jones a chance to stake his claim and let Walton regain his composure on the bench. Dropping him now would be, in my opinion, better for his development than trying to let him ride it out and losing his confidence altogether.

Lost his confidence after the Leeds game simple as that. As a goalkeeper the worst thing you can suffer from is a lack of confidence.

Have to say his distribution is so poor. Has he ever claimed a ball and thrown it out at speed to force a breakaway attack in his time with us so far? Always holds on to it and slows everything down. I’ve seen the attackers turn away in disgust a number of times when they’ve looked for the breakaway ball and he just holds it.

At the next game Clatic, take a quick look at PC when Walton gets the ball. I have noticed a number of times that he is telling him to go long. It seems to me that this is not down to Walton but is in fact the way the manager wants to play it. I wonder if he does not trust the centre backs to play it out as he did earlier in the season.

Waltons flaws were covered well by a very strong defence last season but we caught glimpses. This season they have been fully exposed and they are much worse than we feared. He may improve as he gets older but he's become a bit of a liability and as mentioned above by holding the ball so long and pumping it long every time he destroys any chance of hitting anyone on the counter or passing it out from the backing although I do suspect that could be under instruction sometimes.

I'm under no illusions that Jones is a world beater but I'd start him against Villa as Walton has been given the benefit of the doubt for too long and everyone in the squad should not be guaranteed a starting place if they don't perform.