Cycling 2024 | Vital Football

Cycling 2024

OurGert

Vital Squad Member
Thank fc uk the season kicks off for me today with the UAE Tour…… but Saturday and Omloop is when the fun really starts …….. should be a good season.

Duz anyone remember Henry Holmes Cycle shop on Sharrow vale Road? Used to take mine there for repairs, then call across the road to Wilsons Snuff Mill to pick up Albert next door his supply. Snot running from his sneck looked like brown candle wax!

Duz anyone remember Henry Holmes Cycle shop on Sharrow vale Road? Used to take mine there for repairs, then call across the road to Wilsons Snuff Mill to pick up Albert next door his supply. Snot running from his sneck looked like brown candle wax!
Yeah I remember Henry Holmes' shop, spent most of my hard earned paper boy cash in that shop. Happy days.

Happy Days indeed, footy & cricket in Endcliffe Park and scromping apples climbing over the walls of the big gaffs around Kenwood & Thornsett Road where being a fast runner a must!

Had my first crash for years the other week. Superb black eye, with cuts to go with it. Horrible gash on left side. It fucking hurt as well. I'm blaming the worn tyres.

Had my first crash for years the other week. Superb black eye, with cuts to go with it. Horrible gash on left side. It fucking hurt as well. I'm blaming the worn tyres.
Better off blaming the person who gave it the safety check before you went out on it then 🫤
Hope it was all superficial herb and you get better soon

Glad my cycling days are over, the amount of traffic and state of the roads these days. In fact plod pulled me over the other day and said, "You are swerving all over the road, have you been drinking?, "Have I f..k!" I replied, I,m trying to miss the pot oyles!"

Better off blaming the person who gave it the safety check before you went out on it then 🫤
Hope it was all superficial herb and you get better soon
That'll be me! Serves me right in a way. I knew they were worn. They're on my old bike, which I'm using as a stopgap until my main one is back in action (waiting for new wheels). Pretty sure it was a tyres issue because I took the corner no more extremely than usual, and the road wasn't slippy - not obviously so at least.

It was superficial enough. Cuts and bruising. I'm fine though, thanks. Until the next one.....!

Hence the old term, "Winter Iron" and "Summer Iron"
Absolutely, my Winter Bike was the only one I would use at this time of the year; none of the fancy lightweight racing bikes until the first race of the season. In fact I swear that all those pre-season training miles on the heavier bike did me the power of good. BTW when talking about Henry Holmes' bike shop, I gave up on him and used Butterworth's on Abbeydale Road; a good place to meet the rest of the lads.

Az a bin lid travelling to Millhouses park on the tram, we allus looked out for the Penny Farthing bike on the wall above Butterworths. In the 80s I bought an Elswick sports bike from Poundstretchers across from the gym I ran which cost 60 quid and rode it the 3 miles back home at 10pm to the top of Greystones Road, talk about knackered! Just concentrating on hill climbing I took the bike to Butterworths to have a big climbing gear fitted. Did a brill job and saw me thru my weekly leg workout of up Winnats Pass keeping my arse on the saddle!

Omloop - what a great race to start the season proper!

Can anybody not riding for Visma win any of the really big races this year?

Van der Poel or Pojacar perhaps?

Any one else?

Last edited:
Used to have an interest in the pro cycling but just like the Olympics, have kicked it in to touch cos you can,t believe what you see. Man against man has sadly succumbed to drug against drug, the best chemist wins. Chris Hoy, Tap Dancer? What a surprise!

Tempted to watch Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne - it's on at exactly the same time as our game.

If anything could force me to start watching cycling again.....

Just caught a glimpse of the Tour of Rwanda highlights, and it surprised me. Some great crowds and an apparent genuine enthusiasm for it. Definitely seems like one they should make a big effort to televise. Something completely different.

Inevitably after all this time, the commentators and presenters have nearly all started doing my head in. None more so than Orla The Tart, embarrassing herself on a regular basis, dressing as if she's 19 in a constant cry for attention. Horrible voice too.
Rob Hatch, or Pronunciation Nonce as I call him, can get fucked. Self explanatory.
The bizarre English/Dutch lady who can't quite decide whether she's English or Dutch, is irritating. But I expect Eurosport to push her even more this season.
Carlton 'Quite Frankly' Kirby has surely had his time now as well. Quite frankly.
Faggy Adam can do one as well.

Last edited:
Like a lot o the Commentaters on sport, Not what you know but who you know and which Director you,re bending over and touching your toes for.

Superhuman stuff from Pogacar in Strade Bianche.

It's the sort of performance that makes it difficult to believe.