Current Squad: June 2021 | Page 6 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2021

Update after the arrival of Josh Griffiths:

Goalkeepers: (2)
Sam Long, 18 (June 2023)
Josh Griffiths, 19 (season loan from West Bromwich Albion)

Defenders: (9)
Joe Walsh, 29 (June 2023)
Lewis Montsma, 23 (June 2023)
Regan Poole, 23 (June 2023)
Sean Roughan, 18 (June 2023)
Hayden Cann, 17 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 23 (June 2022)
Max Melbourne, 22 (June 2022) available for transfer
Adam Jackson, 27 (minimum June 2022)
Cohen Bramall, 25 (minimum June 2022)

Central Midfielders: (6)
Lasse Sørensen, 21 ('long-term' contract, minimum June 2024)
James Jones, 25 (June 2023)
Max Sanders, 22 (June 2023)
Liam Bridcutt, 32 (minimum June 2022)
Conor McGrandles, 25 (minimum June 2022)

Lewis Fiorini, 19 (season loan from Manchester City)

Wingers: (2)
Remy Longdon, 23 (June 2022)
Theo Archibald, 23 (June 2022)

Strikers: (5)
Chris Maguire, 32 (June 2023)
Tom Hopper, 27 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 22 (June 2023)
Jovon Makama, 17 (probably June 2023)

Dan Nlundulu, 22 (season loan from Southampton)

Total: 24
Contracted: 21
In on loan: 3
Out on loan: 0

Average age at 30 June 2021: 23 years 5 months
(excluding players out on loan)

The signing of 19-year-old Josh Griffiths actually increases the average age of our goalkeeping department...

Average ages by position:

Goalkeepers (2): 19 years, 2 months

Defenders (9): 23 years, 3 months

Central midfielders (6): 24 years, 5 months

Wingers (2): 23 years, 6 months

Strikers (5): 24 years, 4 months

Squad of 24 at the minute but realistically, I can't see Long, Cann, Melbourne or Makama being part of the first team squad some the end of the window.

Concern in wide areas i.e. few options. The drop off from Rogers/Johnson to Howarth/Archibald is very big. Maguire is more of a wide player than a striker so he's an option there, just not with the pace of last years loans.

Squad of 24 at the minute but realistically, I can't see Long, Cann, Melbourne or Makama being part of the first team squad some the end of the window.

Concern in wide areas i.e. few options. The drop off from Rogers/Johnson to Howarth/Archibald is very big. Maguire is more of a wide player than a striker so he's an option there, just not with the pace of last years loans.

Yep, not sure we have currently replaced like for like in any of the positions so far without kicking a ball in anger.

Hoping Nlundulu will bag us enough goals and we can get in some more attacking/wide options.

Then also some defensive cover for our CH/RB area because we know we had big problems with injuries last season and look like it’s still going to be an issue this one.

I'm still thinking we are going with width from the full backs rather than wide attackers so I'm not expecting wingers as such. That will allow for a bit more control in the middle of the park. Would suit the likes of Scully being that bit more infield and I'd certainly like it if we could get him playing in a position his game is better suited to rather than hugging a touchline

I'm still thinking we are going with width from the full backs rather than wide attackers so I'm not expecting wingers as such. That will allow for a bit more control in the middle of the park. Would suit the likes of Scully being that bit more infield and I'd certainly like it if we could get him playing in a position his game is better suited to rather than hugging a touchline

I agree. Its clear from the release of Harry and Elbo that MA doesn't really go for out-and-out wingers. Expect to see Nlundulu , Scully, and Maguire playing wide, but cutting in as second strikers.

That really does require the full backs to be effective when they go forward though, which is a another debate....

You probably can add Max Melbourne to that list,so you have just 19

When the dust settled on last season the two main problems to me were, replacing Johnsons goals. Even with him we were a team short on fire power. The other was replacing TJ. Cant say about the goals yet as we havent seen much of Nlundulu, and we need to find a pretty good player to even begin to replace TJ. Still some work to do i think.

When the dust settled on last season the two main problems to me were, replacing Johnsons goals. Even with him we were a team short on fire power. The other was replacing TJ. Cant say about the goals yet as we havent seen much of Nlundulu, and we need to find a pretty good player to even begin to replace TJ. Still some work to do i think.
Short on fire power? We scored 103 goals!

Sure Makama has been announced as going on loan to Gainsborough.
Nothing on the others yet but I can't see many/any of them being close to the first team with the exception of Long .

Update after the arrival of Hakeeb Adelakun:

Goalkeepers: (2)
Sam Long, 18 (June 2023)
Josh Griffiths, 19 (season loan from West Bromwich Albion)

Defenders: (9)
Joe Walsh, 29 (June 2023)
Lewis Montsma, 23 (June 2023)
Regan Poole, 23 (June 2023)
Sean Roughan, 18 (June 2023)
Hayden Cann, 17 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 23 (June 2022)
Max Melbourne, 22 (June 2022) available for transfer
Adam Jackson, 27 (minimum June 2022)
Cohen Bramall, 25 (minimum June 2022)

Central Midfielders: (6)
Lasse Sørensen, 21 ('long-term' contract, minimum June 2024)
James Jones, 25 (June 2023)
Max Sanders, 22 (June 2023)
Liam Bridcutt, 32 (minimum June 2022)
Conor McGrandles, 25 (minimum June 2022)

Lewis Fiorini, 19 (season loan from Manchester City)

Wingers: (3)
Hakeeb Adelakun, 25 ('long-term' contract, minimum June 2024)
Remy Longdon, 23 (June 2022)
Theo Archibald, 23 (June 2022)

Strikers: (5)
Chris Maguire, 32 (June 2023)
Tom Hopper, 27 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 22 (June 2023)
Jovon Makama, 17 (probably June 2023)

Dan Nlundulu, 22 (season loan from Southampton)

Total: 25
Contracted: 22
In on loan: 3
Out on loan: 0

Average age at 30 June 2021: 23 years 6 months (+1 month)
(excluding players out on loan)

Average ages by position:

Goalkeepers (2): 19 years, 2 months

Defenders (9): 23 years, 3 months

Central midfielders (6): 24 years, 5 months

Wingers (3): 24 years, 0 months

Strikers (5): 24 years, 4 months

I make it we're up to about 17 now that are probably ear marked by MA as should be looking to try and force themselves into the starting 11.

That's not a bad number really, we're getting there.

Some good options there, at least in the front two thirds of the squad. MA and the back room team will know how we stand with the current defensive players and I’m sure if we need any more cover they will be next on the list. Maybe lined up already or perhaps waiting to see how things go, thinking we have till the end of August before the window shuts. The last couple of friendlies should be interesting. Hopefully we’ll get to see all the new players really pushing for a starting place and we’ll see what they are like.

Last edited:
How many season long loans are we allowed in the match day squad again - 4 or 5? Can see us using all the slots available.