Current Squad: December 2020 | Page 7 | Vital Football

Current Squad: December 2020

That makes just Harry Anderson out of contract this summer, as far as we know. It is unlikely that Jackson, Bridcutt, McGrandles and Walsh signed on for just one year, so the only other player whose contract may expire before June 2022 is Theo Archibald (unknown).

This squad has a very settled look about it, although there will be changes this summer regardless. And a lot of changes if we are in the Championship.

That makes just Harry Anderson out of contract this summer, as far as we know. It is unlikely that Jackson, Bridcutt, McGrandles and Walsh signed on for just one year, so the only other player whose contract may expire before June 2022 is Theo Archibald (unknown).

This squad has a very settled look about it, although there will be changes this summer regardless. And a lot of changes if we are in the Championship.
Where do you get the information on Harry’s contract? As I said going on press reports that his new contract took him well beyond his previous contract which was due to expire in 2020, that doesn’t imply only 1 year more.

Where do you get the information on Harry’s contract? As I said going on press reports that his new contract took him well beyond his previous contract which was due to expire in 2020, that doesn’t imply only 1 year more.

i think you right as he signed long term deal in 2019 so 3or 4 years I would assume. All 1 year or 2 year deals were disclosed in full.

Hi Bristol &Red Wimp
Harry's contract finishes at the end of the 2021 season.

Taken from the Lincolnshire Live Site

Winger Harry Anderson is also out of contract at the end of the season and there have been early talks about tying the club’s longest-serving player to a new deal.
“Harry’s up but there is an option there that could potentially be exercised,” said Appleton.
“From a timing point of view, you’ve got to get it right. There’s been an initial conversation with Harry’s agent but there’s no mad rush on that one.”

Hi Bristol &Red Wimp

Winger Harry Anderson is also out of contract at the end of the season and there have been early talks about tying the club’s longest-serving player to a new deal.
“Harry’s up but there is an option there that could potentially be exercised,” said Appleton.
“From a timing point of view, you’ve got to get it right. There’s been an initial conversation with Harry’s agent but there’s no mad rush on that one.”

As long as they sign him up, he is a nice link to the past and has only got better. He has never looked out of place whether it’s non-league or league 1

Hi Bristol &Red Wimp

Ah okay. Doesn’t seem to fit with what they said at the time he signed his last contract but presumably this is correct.

Harry signed a three-year contract when he signed permanently from Peterborough on 20 July 2017, the first three-year deal given to any player since our previous Football League days. He then signed a one-year extension on 31 July 2019 after promotion to League One, presumably with a commensurate improvement in terms.

I am not sure whether Harry has much of a future here - even allowing for the illness, he has started only three league games in four months. If he isn't seen as a regular starter in League One, he could only ever be a fringe player in the Championship. And remember, there is no Football League Trophy in the Championship, so there are fewer opportunities for fringe players to get game time. That would be a shame, it would be great to see him become the only player ever to appear for us in four tiers.

I am not sure whether Harry has much of a future here - even allowing for the illness, he has started only three league games in four months. If he isn't seen as a regular starter in League One, he could only ever be a fringe player in the Championship. And remember, there is no Football League Trophy in the Championship, so there are fewer opportunities for fringe players to get game time. That would be a shame, it would be great to see him become the only player ever to appear for us in four tiers.

It is a shame as I think he offers alot, there may be factors we don't know about as to why he isnt playing as much this season, which we may well find out if he does leave. I hope he doesn't but unfortunately if he MA doesn't think he has what it takes to play for a top L1 team then as you say he's not going to have much chance if we get promoted.

With his age though, you'd have thought we may have tried to get him tied into a new deal with a view to making some money back on him in the next year or so. But perhaps this is where the issues come in, what if he has been offered a deal but its not what he expects and is only offering him the role of a squad rotation player rather than what he has been for us most of the last 3 years which is almost a guaranteed starter.

It's an odd on with Harry. When MA first arrived, Harry quickly dropped to the fringes with the manager seemingly unimpressed by his one dimensional game.

One close season later and we saw a re-vitalised Harry probably leading the way with his pace, energy, improved crossing and a few goals for measure. Not only that it was very obvious his match awareness had improved and he had become more tactically astute without losing any of his pace, strength, attitude and directness.

I think it was more a case of being rested followed by picking up Covid/injury that has caused his involvement to be stalled rather than being out of favour.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that Harry very much would now have a future with MA. The question might be more, does the player fancy a change. I hope not, Harry remains a player that gives everyone a lift, especially in the later stages of a game.

Had he been available versus Wigan or Swindon I suspect he would have been doggedly driving the whole team up the pitch with him, and I'm not sure we have too many players with that combination of both pace and strength to do that.

I think if Howarth has been offered a new one year contract then Harry will be offered either another one or two year contract, he's a good outlet to have in the team when we are defending late on in games.
As what's been said above about Harry & Covid he could be slightly still getting over it depending how bad he's had it, a new pre-season could help all that for Harry.

Last edited:
It's an odd on with Harry. When MA first arrived, Harry quickly dropped to the fringes with the manager seemingly unimpressed by his one dimensional game.

One close season later and we saw a re-vitalised Harry probably leading the way with his pace, energy, improved crossing and a few goals for measure. Not only that it was very obvious his match awareness had improved and he had become more tactically astute without losing any of his pace, strength, attitude and directness.

I think it was more a case of being rested followed by picking up Covid/injury that has caused his involvement to be stalled rather than being out of favour.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that Harry very much would now have a future with MA. The question might be more, does the player fancy a change. I hope not, Harry remains a player that gives everyone a lift, especially in the later stages of a game.

Had he been available versus Wigan or Swindon I suspect he would have been doggedly driving the whole team up the pitch with him, and I'm not sure we have too many players with that combination of both pace and strength to do that.
Good summary - Harry looked little boy lost when MA first came in but worked and trained hard, paying off as his game clearly went up a level at the start of the season.

All the indications are that MA rates this season's version of Harry. Covid and injury have knocked him back but hopefully will soon be back to full fitness have a role to play in the run-in, and hopefully into next season.

How I've read that Lincoln Live Report is that there is an option in his existing contract to extend it by another year. I suppose it might all come down to what division we are in before that final decision is made on both sides

Harry's the opposite of what you'd expect from young wingers. Most are technically good but lack the physical side (Rogers, for example) whereas he's always had the physical side, even when he first joined us in the NL as an 18(?) year old.

To my mind Anderson on his performances this season is an excellent L1 player and is just the type of player you would want in a hard working side trying to finish out of the bottom 3 in the Championship.

MA also uses subs relatively sparingly and if not in the starting line up Anderson is one of the first trusted players he always turns to.

Harry has a lot of games under his belt for a young player, around 175. He is also a double Championship winner, a Cup winner, a double Cup semi-finalist, an FA Cup quarter-finalist, a play-off semi-finalist and has been involved with squads that have taken on the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal. That is a lot of experience in a pretty inexperienced squad.

Update after contract extensions for Anthony Scully and Remy Howarth:

Goalkeepers: (2)
Sam Long, 18 (unknown)
Alex Palmer, 24 (season loan from WBA)

Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021) (on loan to Weymouth to the end of the season)

Defenders: (9)
Joe Walsh, 28 (unknown) Centre-half
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Regan Poole, 22 (June 2023) Right-back
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half / left-back
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022) Left-back
Adam Jackson, 26 (unknown) Centre-half
Cohen Bramall, 24 (unknown) Left-back
Hayden Cann, 17 (June 2023)
Centre-half
TJ Eyoma, 20 (season loan from Spurs) Right-back / centre half

Max Melbourne, 22 (June 2022) Left-back (on loan to Walsall to the end of the season)

Central Midfielders: (5)
Jorge Grant, 26 (June 2023)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Max Sanders (June 2023)
Liam Bridcutt, 31 (unknown)
Conor McGrandles, 25 (unknown)

Wingers: (3)
Remy Howarth, 23 (June 2022)
Harry Anderson, 23 (June 2021)
Theo Archibald, 22 (unknown)

Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal') (on loan to Bolton to the end of the season)

Strikers: (5)
Tom Hopper, 27 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2023)

Callum Morton, 20 (season loan from WBA)
Brennan Johnson, 19 (season loan from Nottingham Forest)
Morgan Rogers, 18 (on loan from Man City to the end of the season)

Total: 24
Contracted: 22
In on loan: 5
Out on loan: 3

Average age at 31 December 2020: 23 years 0 months
(excluding players out on loan)

I was just reading a thread on the Charlton forum about tonight's game and the writer of the lead article noted that both Jorge Grant and Anthony Scully were "out of contract this summer" so I simply had to check as I thought they had signed extended contracts earlier this year. Thanks Scotty for proving me right!

By the way, most replies suggest a decent win for the Imps.