Crystal Palace v Aston Villa Sunday 19th May 16.00 hrs K.O | Page 19 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa Sunday 19th May 16.00 hrs K.O

Thankfully all the streams have played up so I've only seen the first goal

Haven’t watched any football at all today, what’s the point, our season was done on Tuesday. Didn’t really care about the result but 5-0 is a shit one for anyone who’s put the time and money into going down to south London (Been once and it’s a ball banger to get to and from), puts a dampener on it somewhat. 115 charges winning the league was also so so predictable.

A 5-0 defeat is embarrassing, and any spin can't detract from that scoreline.

The only Positives from the game are those who should leave showed us just why they hopefully will...... Olsen, Carlos, Chambers and Lenglet.

It's a shame Ollie didn't reach 20 goals this season, but he's still enjoyed a brilliant season, and for me, where Villa finally finished in the league table is what I will concentrate on during the summer rather than today.

It's been clear to everybody our squad wasn't big enough to rest players, particularly towards the last few months, so hopefully we replace the above with better players and players you can also better rely on to come in and do a job.

The game was literally a practice match. Our season ended last Monday and the players have probably been out on the piss ever since and to be honest fair fucking play to them, it's been a tough old season.

Today didn't matter one jot and anyone trying to pretend it did... Well I just don't get it.

Awful result, you can bet that Unai won't be happy, or find it acceptable. Shame to end the season like that. No excuses really. BUT great season and maybe, just maybe, this did Unai a little favour, when it comes to making it absolutely clear despite how well we have done, we need to invest significantly and hopefully move a few on - many of whom have played their part and shouldn't be slated

The game was literally a practice match. Our season ended last Monday and the players have probably been out on the piss ever since and to be honest fair fucking play to them, it's been a tough old season.

Today didn't matter one jot and anyone trying to pretend it did... Well I just don't get it.

I would love to have seen Ollie get his 20th.

And to be fair, when playing any game, not just professionals, but any sportsmen/women, you want to win. But no, having secured 4th, you can overlook this for sure.

Its an end of the season ... players on the beach game.
Even Emery never got animated.

Unai is not this football machine we make him out to be.
Didn't care about getting to 70pts, didn't care much about winning today, put his son on the bench. I'm not saying it bothers me....just pointing out a fact.

Awful result, you can bet that Unai won't be happy, or find it acceptable. Shame to end the season like that. No excuses really. BUT great season and maybe, just maybe, this did Unai a little favour, when it comes to making it absolutely clear despite how well we have done, we need to invest significantly and hopefully move a few on - many of whom have played their part and shouldn't be slated
It's like when you get promoted, there is always that thought that the players earned a shot at the Premier Lge. It's a brutal business but putting players in a situation where they're going to fail does nothing for anyone. You need to take lads out of the firing line sometimes.

Imagine Glenn Whelan going into our Premier Lge. season as a starter, disaster. Even Ashley Young staying this year would have been a mess. There is a point where the journey ends, its shitty but in a way its the best for them too.

Look at Olsen, he just needs to go and start fresh. It has to be awful to be him, he has the worst job in football and we'll say that's what the money is for. I am not sure any amount of money will stop the anxiety and impact to his mental health this club is having on him.

Matty Cash is another, his time at the club is coming to an end and he won't think this but its for the best. People will be on his back more than ever next year.

Unai is not this football machine we make him out to be.
Didn't care about getting to 70pts, didn't care much about winning today, put his son on the bench. I'm not saying it bothers me....just pointing out a fact.
I'd be surprised anybody does think he is a machine, he is incredibly emotional. You couldn't be a machine and connect with players the way he does. Olsen still being here is a testament to Unai not giving up on players even if that is completely against fans wishes.

At the same time I also wouldnt mistake it for him not being a winner. The only robot in the league is Pep, even Arteta is incredibly emotional. I don't know how many interviews I've seen where he looks like he's about to burst out into tears.

I dunno. If Ollie's shot goes in or we get the peno early on then who knows but once we're 2 or 3 down and in the Champions League regardless I understand (but don't condone) why nobody broke themself to try and claw it back.

Did I mention we're in the Champions League?

It's like when you get promoted, there is always that thought that the players earned a shot at the Premier Lge. It's a brutal business but putting players in a situation where they're going to fail does nothing for anyone. You need to take lads out of the firing line sometimes.
I would actually like to see Olsen be put in the firing line. A literal one.

I would love to have seen Ollie get his 20th.
Me too, but he's had plenty of chances these last 3 or 4 games. Can't just blame today.

Not saying it's his fault, he's been playing well, but at the end of the day when alls said and done over 38 games he deserved to score 19 goals.

I've not seen anything suggesting he's at person fault for any of these but fucke Olsen must have a worse goals conceded per minute than almost any other Villa keeper. The only clean sheets I remember him keeping are away to spurs and both legs of the Hibs play off.

In a way being at fault or not is the wrong argument. At this level a decent keeper needs to be able to stop shots when the opposing player looks certain to score.

If Martinez only stopped routine shots he wouldn't be half the keeper he is.

If Olsen isn't throwing them in his own net or let them in through legs - that fuels the response that none of the goals were his fault. But being competent isn't enough at this level. We need a guy who stops a quota of shots that he has "no chance" of stopping.

The stats for Olsen are pretty damming. I hope guaci is up to speed for next season.