Crunch meeting | Page 2 | Vital Football

Crunch meeting

It’s revenue projections mate.
It’s quite normal business practice.
For example, if the revenue projection is £4 million of which £3 million is for the players budget and the club only makes £3.5 million, then there will be a half million shortfall (loss)
As far as I’m aware, Gills players budget doesn’t exceed income, which can’t be said for a lot of clubs.
It’s thought that 52% of PL and EFL clubs are technically insolvent.

just look at Sunderland declaring a loss in excess of £11m how does that constitute fair play?

Before getting shot down I am not fully up to speed with financial fair play but am a firm believer that if you make a loss you lose points on a pro rata basis.

I am sick of teams such as Derby County of late doing what they are doing and then being praised for they way things have been turned and they are back up the leagues again.

tell that to the small businesses that have been burnt or gone out of business in the process.

just look at Sunderland declaring a loss in excess of £11m how does that constitute fair play?

Before getting shot down I am not fully up to speed with financial fair play but am a firm believer that if you make a loss you lose points on a pro rata basis.

I am sick of teams such as Derby County of late doing what they are doing and then being praised for they way things have been turned and they are back up the leagues again.

tell that to the small businesses that have been burnt or gone out of business in the process.

Couldn't agree more mate.

Anyone who's wage bill is higher than their revenue should straight up be banned from being promoted, banned from playing in next season's cup competitions, and should incur a 20 point deduction, to be incurred in the current season if it means they get relegated, or to be carried over to the next season if it wouldn't.

The guys on Quest were bigging up Wigan on what a fantastic turnaround they had had, from going to not being able to pay the wages to promotion in a single season.
They totally glossed over the fact that the new company had totally stiffed the non football creditors and immediately started over spending again.
James McLean playing in League One on £15k a week.
Wigan are a relatively small club and I’d guarantee that their squad spend exceeds their total income.
Until the FA do something about this, it will continue.

Spot on... And let's not forget Bolton. Did everything the wrong way and got into masses of debt and are splashing the cash again now, including to our detriment with Dempsey.

The guys on Quest were bigging up Wigan on what a fantastic turnaround they had had, from going to not being able to pay the wages to promotion in a single season.
They totally glossed over the fact that the new company had totally stiffed the non football creditors and immediately started over spending again.
James McLean playing in League One on £15k a week.
Wigan are a relatively small club and I’d guarantee that their squad spend exceeds their total income.
Until the FA do something about this, it will continue.
The Wigan thing really gets me. You almost guarentee in 5 years they will be back in the same position. No League 1 can pay £15k for player. And he is not the only one.

No way Neil Harris would agree to sign a two and a half year deal with a club that looked nailed on for relegation without at least a decent hint from PDPS what his budget for the 2023 campaign might be. Fairly sure he had a good idea of his minimum war chest a while ago. The Harris effect also increased attendances at Priestfield so ST sales might prove better than expected 3 months ago.

No way Neil Harris would agree to sign a two and a half year deal with a club that looked nailed on for relegation without at least a decent hint from PDPS what his budget for the 2023 campaign might be. Fairly sure he had a good idea of his minimum war chest a while ago. The Harris effect also increased attendances at Priestfield so ST sales might prove better than expected 3 months ago.
Of course it will be 😉
Those hundreds staying away because of Evans will all be back.
If we could get rid of Scally, every match would be a sell out 😂

I don't judge statements on the budget at face value from either party. It's not fibbing it's different perceptions. Of course our budget is small by current 3rd tier standards, just look at the other clubs. I reckon our budget has been fairly steady, slightly up slightly down from one season to the next. We've been blown out of the water.

Evans manages by changing personnel on a regular basis and he has always set about trying to squeeze more out of his chairmen in January. This time the cupboard was bare partly because he'd spent it without thought of back up and partly because we didn't have anything to spend.

I would be very surprised if Harris moans, he's not a whinger. He thinks he can make a difference with what we have and he deserves our support in that venture. I'm off to Folkestone in July.

It's perfectly possible that the 16th/17th salary claim is true, but that our budget was in the relegation zone. We offer generally one to two year contracts and players will want a higher salary because of the uncertainty that brings, we sign free agent players who will have interest and the freedom to balance our offers against those from other clubs other clubs, driving up their salary, we don't pay agents, so that also comes out of the salary, I don't know what we pay in terms of signing on fees or bonuses, but we rarely if ever pay transfer fees. So that 16th/17th place budget claim (on salaries) might well be factually correct but our total spend on players might well be a bit lower than that when you take the other factors into account.

Another issue, not often mentioned, is that I doubt that we can get any more finance from a Bank unless fully secured by collaterol, bearing in mind that I believe that both Barclays and Bank of Scotland have written off bad debt before.

As Scally does not invest any of his own money and he has seemingly never been able to attract other investors, our budget can only be governed by likely income as we can not borrow.
I have no criticism of that, but I do think it could mean that we have a pretty low budget which the manager, or anyone, can mention if they want. I am just not sure why Scally seems affronted by even the suggestion, particularly when even Evans did not seek to apportion blame.

IHarris says in the interview he feels if he’d joined the club a day earlier than he did we’d have stayed up as he’d have had time to sign one or two more players than he did who’d have made the extra point difference we needed.

I agree with him.

Another issue, not often mentioned, is that I doubt that we can get any more finance from a Bank unless fully secured by collaterol, bearing in mind that I believe that both Barclays and Bank of Scotland have written off bad debt before.

As Scally does not invest any of his own money and he has seemingly never been able to attract other investors, our budget can only be governed by likely income as we can not borrow.
I have no criticism of that, but I do think it could mean that we have a pretty low budget which the manager, or anyone, can mention if they want. I am just not sure why Scally seems affronted by even the suggestion, particularly when even Evans did not seek to apportion blame.

no commercial bank is interested in loaning football clubs money, it’s not just us. The premier league is of course a different matter

How can you set a budget if you have not yet put season tickets on sale because you have not yet worked out how much they will be? Given the generally held opinion that a lot of season ticket holders will not renew then the budget must be smaller unless investment from another source is forthcoming.
What generally held opinion that a lot of ST holders won’t renew? Do you just make this stuff up to suit your own agenda. Every single ST holder I know is renewing as are the other ST holders who sit near us. You can’t just make up this crap. People generally seem to already be feeling very positive about next season with NH at the helm.

He and Scally have both stated he’s on a two and a half year deal, so two more seasons. Let’s trust them on that.

NH’s comments have gone down very well with fans, not just ours but fans of other clubs who are impressed with his honesty. I don’t think the stuff about budgets was a moan or the bit about the tactics board, I think he was just trying to get a dose of reality of the situation before he arrived out in the public domain. Good for him, it doesn’t mean he isn’t committed.

This article was a nice touch too, he’s a classy guy is our Neil: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/amp/neil-harris-with-a-message-to-gillinghams-fans-266521/

He and Scally have both stated he’s on a two and a half year deal, so two more seasons. Let’s trust them on that.

NH’s comments have gone down very well with fans, not just ours but fans of other clubs who are impressed with his honesty. I don’t think the stuff about budgets was a moan or the bit about the tactics board, I think he was just trying to get a dose of reality of the situation before he arrived out in the public domain. Good for him, it doesn’t mean he isn’t committed.

This article was a nice touch too, he’s a classy guy is our Neil: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/amp/neil-harris-with-a-message-to-gillinghams-fans-266521/
It could also be a effort to make sure the players he doesn't want leave .IE I am not going to put up with more of the same etc.

Neil Harris has actually apologised for relegation? What a class act, none of this was on Neil but he's been the bigger man and apologised anyway.

It's an easy win for him isn't it. He's playing it very well at the moment, making hay while the sun shines.

He's endearing himself to the fans by saying sorry when its 100% not his fault (is there anything more British?), and frankly the only reason we had a chance to stay up was because of him coming in and giving the place a lift.

This is great credit in the bank for him goodwill wise, so that if (and frankly when) we don't win the first ten games of next season, he'll be given time to let a new squad gel together and become a team.

He's endearing himself to the fans by saying sorry when its 100% not his fault (is there anything more British?), and frankly the only reason we had a chance to stay up was because of him coming in and giving the place a lift.

I wouldn't say that it's 100% not his fault. We took 2 points from our last 5 games - 3 would have kept us up and I think, even with the squad/team Harris had on offer, we could possibly should have got those 3 points. I am surprised he didn't explicitly recognise that given that his warts and all interview. However, the vast majority of the blame for our relegation is down to as mixture of Evans and Scally and we would have been long gone were there not three awful teams below us and two above, who weren't much better. As you say, Harris (along with the poor quality of our relegation rivals) gave us a shot at staying up, which he had no right to do. It is very clear that he knows what went wrong and what he and Scally need to do next season to put it right.